Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberdentist
Okay this is my experience.

i got the Dell streak (I bought this as it uses full size sim)
Got Data sim from Tmobile ($10)
I put the sim into Tablet and it took me to Tmobile site for activation (mim.tmobile.com) You can't go to mim.tmobile.com from iphone or other devices as it detects whether its a phone or tablet.
I activated the card and was able to browse 4G on my tablet

Then, I put the sim into A6 and it shows 3G and 3 bars and when I try to search something, it says no internet connection established. So i went in and changed APN settings on A6 to epc.tmobile.com.

Still does not work. The simcard works fine in tablet. Any ideas?
What is the APN that shows in your tablet? Put that in your car (epc.tmobile.com sounds about right m2m.t-mobile.com was the original audi connect APN settings)
Maybe you just need to reboot the internet in the car, happened to me once for changing sims that often, don't remember exactly where but the is some option of turning data off and the turn it on.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Do I need to call Audi to enable Audi connect?
No, you don't need to call Audi and calling them will not help.

APN should be epc.tmobile.com or fast.t-mobile.com

Agree with reboot advise
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reset the MMI and it seems to have worked, However the speed is extremely slow. On my tablet i get 3 or 4 bars and its fast but in my car it only shows 1 bar. The tablet used epc.tmobile.com so I used the same. Do you think speed will change with fast.t-mobile.com? I read that 'fast' is mostly for LTE. I know Audi only has 3G in it so EPC should work similar to Fast if i am not mistaken.

In 5 min i could only see data usage of about 700kb LOL !!Google earth doesn't work.. hmmm

I should probably drive to an area with good Tmobile coverage and check how it works. will do that tomorrow and report.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

By the way my MMI version is 0487. is this the latest version? is there an update?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

By the way my MMI version is 0487. is this the latest version? is there an update?
0715 is the latest. It shouldn't matter for Audi Connect though.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

I ordered my micro SIM card, when I get it I will activate it with my AT&T IPad and then swap it to the car with the adapter, I will use the APN settings epc.tmobile.com and see what happens
I am pretty sure it will work according of what I have read here and at tmobile
Worst case scenario the SIM card gets attached to the IPad IMEI (Has never happened with my Audi connect sim in my IPad so why would that happen now?) and I use the 200mb in my IPad for the random occasions I don't have wifi, I never use the AT&T SIM card anyways I got the cellular IPad for when I travel internationally.

It is going to be free, even though I do not have Tmobile voice service and I am not planning in getting a monthly data plan?

According to what I understand below, it will be, they require you to activate a mobile internet account BUT if you get a prepaid plan (pay in advance) you do not need to get a data pass to get the free 200mb, similar of what we have already in Audi connect month to month, if you cancel the subscription you can reactivate it anytime but we are not getting the free 200mb (that for what I use my car will be more than enough)
I will report results.

Do I have to be on a plan or a contract in order to get the free data?
In order to get the 200 MB of free data per month, you need to activate a Mobile Internet account and register your tablet on our network. You don’t need to pay for an additional data plan.

If you are a postpaid customer, you’ll need to have an On Demand data plan at minimum which is $0/mo if you are a voice customer (after $10 line credit).
See our postpaid Mobile Internet plans

If you are a Pay in Advance customer, you’ll need to activate a Pay in Advance account. You do not have to a purchase data pass in order to access your free data.
See our pay in advance Mobile Internet plans

Last edited by feralc; 11-16-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

There may be a good chance that with this free tablet offer, T-Mobile is tying the card to the appointed tablet device to avoid it being used to circumvent using it in other devices which is not the intention of the offer.

Frankly, even if this works, with the available $15 per month Audi Connect/T-Mobile, unlimited data program, this seems like a lot of effort for a measly free 250MB. Even paying up front for the 30 months, it won't sacrifice much interest from a savings account these days and you don't have to worry about tracking data usage with Google Maps, Online Destinations, Street View, Send to Car from Google Map or any of the other Audi Connect Services for 30 months afterward. IMO, $15 @ month is peanuts compared to other subscriptions most have with cel, cable, home internet, home phone, TiVo, etc. and the money I have spent on the car and add-ons, money over time for service and possible repairs. It's about two or three lattes at your favorite coffee shop. At least, that's my take.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Banned

Not for me, I use my car very randomly and 15 dollars extra a month for something I have in my phone already is not worth it, I just like that google maps looks cool vs the regular map layout so for me this 200mb are more than enough
And as I said if they find out I am "cheating" them. I just lose 10 dollars or use the sim in my iPad for the rare occasions I don't have wifi
Old 11-16-2013, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
I ordered my micro SIM card, when I get it I will activate it with my AT&T IPad and then swap it to the car with the adapter, I will use the APN settings epc.tmobile.com and see what happens
I am pretty sure it will work according of what I have read here and at tmobile
Worst case scenario the SIM card gets attached to the IPad IMEI (Has never happened with my Audi connect sim in my IPad so why would that happen now?) and I use the 200mb in my IPad for the random occasions I don't have wifi, I never use the AT&T SIM card anyways I got the cellular IPad for when I travel internationally.

It is going to be free, even though I do not have Tmobile voice service and I am not planning in getting a monthly data plan?

According to what I understand below, it will be, they require you to activate a mobile internet account BUT if you get a prepaid plan (pay in advance) you do not need to get a data pass to get the free 200mb, similar of what we have already in Audi connect month to month, if you cancel the subscription you can reactivate it anytime but we are not getting the free 200mb (that for what I use my car will be more than enough)
I will report results.

Do I have to be on a plan or a contract in order to get the free data?
In order to get the 200 MB of free data per month, you need to activate a Mobile Internet account and register your tablet on our network. You don’t need to pay for an additional data plan.

If you are a postpaid customer, you’ll need to have an On Demand data plan at minimum which is $0/mo if you are a voice customer (after $10 line credit).
See our postpaid Mobile Internet plans

If you are a Pay in Advance customer, you’ll need to activate a Pay in Advance account. You do not have to a purchase data pass in order to access your free data.
See our pay in advance Mobile Internet plans
Just to add and make as concise as possible, when you get the SIM from T-Mobile, get a prepaid SIM, not a postpaid SIM. With the prepaid SIM, no account necessary, no credit card necessary, no taxes paid, just put the SIM in, turn off Wifi, Internet Browser will go to T-Mobile site, enter your email address, name, and birthday and that is it. You will be set up until 2095.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by feralc
Not for me, I use my car very randomly and 15 dollars extra a month for something I have in my phone already is not worth it, I just like that google maps looks cool vs the regular map layout so for me this 200mb are more than enough
And as I said if they find out I am "cheating" them. I just lose 10 dollars or use the sim in my iPad for the rare occasions I don't have wifi
Exactly.

Quick Reply: Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!