Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Feralc, a question...if I get the T-mobile free sim for my AT&T 3G iPad, can I assume it will only give me 2G speed? Would it even work in the AT&T iPad?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Full.
Thanks.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Feralc, a question...if I get the T-mobile free sim for my AT&T 3G iPad, can I assume it will only give me 2G speed? Would it even work in the AT&T iPad?
No you get LTE speed, that is why they are offering it they are trying to steal clients from other companies.
An ATT sim will only give you 2g in the MMI because the band ATT uses for 3G is 2G in Tmobile, BUT a Tmobile SIM card will get 3G and LTE in an ATT device because the bands TMobile uses for 3G and LTE are used by ATT too.
Does this makes sense?
Old 11-28-2013, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

We have AT&T iPhone 4, 4S and 5 as well as Verizon iPhone 5S and iPad Air on tmobile and get 4G/LTE in Chicagoland but it depends on your location and whether or not tmobile has updated (re-farmed) their equipment. Before the update, non-LTE AT&T devices may only get 2G on tmobile.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an update. I got a regular Tmobile prepaid sim (not the one for Data specifically) and used that in the Audi, everything works perfectly but of course It costs $3/day. i tried it for 2 days just to play with all the features. So technically Tmobile does not block Audi cars if you use mobile sim but if you use data only sim, they limit it to select IMEIs associated with their devices.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cyberdentist
I have an update. I got a regular Tmobile prepaid sim (not the one for Data specifically) and used that in the Audi, everything works perfectly but of course It costs $3/day. i tried it for 2 days just to play with all the features. So technically Tmobile does not block Audi cars if you use mobile sim but if you use data only sim, they limit it to select IMEIs associated with their devices.
That makes sense because the free data offer is only for tablets, not phones.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberdentist
This is not entirely correct. If you have a paid data only SIM from T-mobile , it works perfect in the Audi MMI. The problem seems limited to a SIM with free data only.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by weth
This is not entirely correct. If you have a paid data only SIM from T-mobile , it works perfect in the Audi MMI. The problem seems limited to a SIM with free data only.
Exactly, somehow Audi blocked the free data sim to be used only with tablets, but they didn't do the same with the Audi connect sim because you can use that in a tablet.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Exactly, somehow Audi blocked the free data sim to be used only with tablets, but they didn't do the same with the Audi connect sim because you can use that in a tablet.
So far, at least. There's no way to know what T-Mobile has up its sleeve. If they can do it to one type of sim/device combination, they could decide to do it to others. At the end of the day, for carriers, it's all about control and profit.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
So far, at least. There's no way to know what T-Mobile has up its sleeve. If they can do it to one type of sim/device combination, they could decide to do it to others. At the end of the day, for carriers, it's all about control and profit.
I posted in a new thread, but am I just lucky,? Tmobile gave me a sim last week with 200mg free a month and it works in my a6 quite well

Quick Reply: Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!