Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbob
I posted in a new thread, but am I just lucky,? Tmobile gave me a sim last week with 200mg free a month and it works in my a6 quite well
Have you tried again? Mine worked at the beginning and showed the two arrows and everything but after one day or so there was no data downloading/ uploading
The best way to test this is to connect an IPad or something to the car's wifi and see if it is actually working.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I give T-Mob's new CEO great credit for breaking the "subsidy" pricing model. And I took two very old AT&T lines over to T-Mob because I thought they were really going to earn my business.

Tried one phone on a prepaid for a month first, and the service was fine, so I had great expectations. HA.

Went in to a T-Mob store figuring a human being can do some things better than puzzling around T-Mob's internet site. Store was chaos and the store manager worked with me. I said I had been told there was a 15% group discount available and he said yes, they'd apply that too, but the computers were slow so it would post overnight.

Funny thing, guess what? No discount. I got 20% from AT&T, which really narrows the price gap. T-Mob? A variety of phone reps said yes, no, yes, no, finally they decided I could only get the discount if I set it up as a new account from their business division. Hmmm...So I have to close the new account and open another new account because a store manager doesn't know his business? I said thanks, goodbye, I'm an AT&T victim again.

T-Mob...really trying to earn business, really impressive pitches, but they really don't have their act together yet. And this business off cutting back from 4G-LTE to plain 2G EDGE speeds (not even HDSPA!) is kinda pushing it, even the store reps say the speed will be unimpressive. It would have been enough for what I wanted...but not when they screwed up the account rates and terms, and then couldn't find any way to correct that.

At least with AT&T, someone usually can correct the messes they always make. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy watching the fight. AT&T is happily paying me to come back from T-Mob.<G>
Old 01-19-2014, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Have you tried again? Mine worked at the beginning and showed the two arrows and everything but after one day or so there was no data downloading/ uploading
The best way to test this is to connect an IPad or something to the car's wifi and see if it is actually working.
A simple MMI nav Online Destination search or one of the Audi connect apps, i.e. Weather, should also tell the tale. It will either work or not.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
A simple MMI nav Online Destination search or one of the Audi connect apps, i.e. Weather, should also tell the tale. It will either work or not.
That too, I just wanted to rule out any kind of cached memory that "might" look like it is working when it is not (like the saved searches)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An opposite thought: if I activate the 30mo/$15 deal for my MMI, can I use that SIM in my 4G iPad for unlimited data? Hmm....
Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ettsn
An opposite thought: if I activate the 30mo/$15 deal for my MMI, can I use that SIM in my 4G iPad for unlimited data? Hmm....
Unlikely - T-Mobile is blocking iPads from using the old $3/day unlimited plans, etc so it's pretty clear they're filtering IMEIs. Not to mention you'd need a micro or nano SIM and an adapter (MMI is "normal" I believe) which I wouldn't recommend for frequent changes.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Banned

Yes you can, 100% sure but 3G speed not LTE But you need to cut the sim to micro size and then use an adapter micro to standard sim to use it in your car again (I use a noosy one)
Also you need to put m2m.t-mobile.com in the iPad APN settings

Last edited by feralc; 02-26-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

About time you made your 1st post. Better late than never.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default UPDATE FOR EVERYONE

I just got a new(used) 2013 A6. I was an existing T-mobile customer so I called and said I wanted to add a new data line(knew nothing about the free 200mb) - Tmobile Rep tells me about the free promotion and sends me 2 SIM cards. One large, one micro. He tells me to call when I receive them to activate them, and DO NOT activate them online in a phone or tablet. He was a really cool kid and I could sense what he was doing was shady, and I loved it. I get the SIM' a few days later and call the tmobile activation number he gave me. First question out of their mouth is "whats the device IMEI that you will use the SIM with?" - I see right through this and realize they want to attach it to a device. I tell them its for my car, they say "let me connect you with our Audi Connect reps" - Knowing that would result in Audi's ridiculous fees I told them I don't want to talk to the Audi reps. I then played dumb and told the guy that I had ordered a tablet but had not yet received it. I told him to activate the SIM so I could use it in my car in the mean time - and amazingly he did. Therefore, I have no IMEI attached to the data SIM. I also got him to bump me up to the 500mb a month for free for being a loyal customer. So now I have 500mb of free data for my Audi until the end of time.

P.S. Its been 48 hours and I am still banging away with data in the MMI..

Audi is lame for trying to make a proprietary system that doesn't allow us to use our own SIM' for data. I paid 60K for the car, do you really need to nickel and dime me so I can see some buildings in 3D on google maps? Punks...
Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

My take on this - I don't think Audi would want to bear the cost indefinitely of Audi Connect data to a carrier for hundreds of thousands of vehicles any more than would a cel phone manufacturer. If it it were included permanently, you can bet Audi would have to increase the cost of the car accordingly. At the end of the day, someone has to pay the provider for data.

If the T-Mobile tablet free data promo sim can be gamed in the way you describe, at some point, if through an audit T-Mobile discovers the missing IMEI or could tell it's not being used in a tablet, it would likely be deactivated. The T-Mobile marketing decision for the free data is to generate more revenue from tablet owners who exceed the limit - sort of like providing a taste so the user buys more once the modest limit is reached. Also, since most tablets with a cel radio are unfettered by a contract, I suspect T-Mobile hopes to get additional data business from AT&T based tablets since they share the same 3G frequencies (i.e. I have an AT&T iPad w/3G and use the T-Mobile free data promo). However, T-Mobile did not intend the promo for other devices or, after the trial period (another taste), Audi Connect data would be free in the first place which, apparently, wouldn't be a good business model for the carrier.

Just as a clarification, MMI 3G Nav Plus standard map will natively display city 3D buildings at the 100 yd scale or lower without Audi Connect being online.

Quick Reply: Tmobile 200MB/month free data for life!