Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TPMS not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS not working

Has anyone experienced a problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)? I used the MMI and accepted the pressure as correctly set, but the next time I went to check it, I was prompted again to accept the current setting. Shouldn't you just set it up once, and it then monitors the pressure until the next time you change tires and reset it?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobinwa
Has anyone experienced a problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)? I used the MMI and accepted the pressure as correctly set, but the next time I went to check it, I was prompted again to accept the current setting. Shouldn't you just set it up once, and it then monitors the pressure until the next time you change tires and reset it?
yeah, I only have to reset mine once after changing the wheels. Any possibility of a leak?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anything is possible. I just had new tires put on and the dealer supposedly set the TPMS, but it wasn't set. So I set it. When I got home it wasn't set. A mystery at this point.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anything is possible. I just had new tires put on and the dealer supposedly set the TPMS, but it wasn't set. So I set it. When I got home it wasn't set. A mystery at this point.
Actually it is set, and each time you select it in MMI it should give you (the only option available) to set it again.
TPMS in the C7 is a "passive" system using the ABS to determine if a wheel is low on air by measuring the difference in rotation compared to the others. It does not use pressure sensors mounted inside the wheel to do this, so there is no way for the system to display the pressures. Each time you top-off the pressure in your tires, you could "reset" TPMS.
It's actually a good deal when you consider the cost involved in having to buy a set of TPMS sensors for your winter wheels, or having to replace one after your warranty runs out. It's nice on my BMW K1300GT, I can just call up the tire pressures, but not looking forward to having to replace one.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Notorious Tech
Actually it is set, and each time you select it in MMI it should give you (the only option available) to set it again.
TPMS in the C7 is a "passive" system using the ABS to determine if a wheel is low on air by measuring the difference in rotation compared to the others. It does not use pressure sensors mounted inside the wheel to do this, so there is no way for the system to display the pressures. Each time you top-off the pressure in your tires, you could "reset" TPMS.
It's actually a good deal when you consider the cost involved in having to buy a set of TPMS sensors for your winter wheels, or having to replace one after your warranty runs out. It's nice on my BMW K1300GT, I can just call up the tire pressures, but not looking forward to having to replace one.
Thanks! That makes more sense now.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice - so it doesn't use PSI reading and when you accept the current you are really accepting the exsiting rotational differential among the four wheels (which shuld all be no differential if they are equally inflated) - neat. I still have my "old" 2010 3.0T Premium Plus A6 for another year - do you think my TPMS works the same?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Nice - so it doesn't use PSI reading and when you accept the current you are really accepting the exsiting rotational differential among the four wheels (which shuld all be no differential if they are equally inflated) - neat. I still have my "old" 2010 3.0T Premium Plus A6 for another year - do you think my TPMS works the same?
I'm not sure what the C6 does for TPMS, I imagine someone will chime in.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

there may be a fault in the sys,and if there is it will not set,
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After dealer installed winter tire set, I got message that underinflated tire was detected, adjusted the pressure & never came back again. Perhaps there is leak somewhere, I keep Accutire digital gauge to check pressure as I do not trust dealer to set pressure correctly. So it happened once due to low pressure in my case, adjusted & never asked me again.