Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Trading in a car and ordering a new one

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in a car and ordering a new one

I am seriously contemplating trading in my current car for the A6. My question is, if I have to order an A6 (looks like I will have to), what are my options in terms of the trade in. For instance, the dealer told me it would take about 3 months to order the car, would they require me trade in the vehicle right away, or when the A6 comes in. Is there a way to come to an agreement where a certain number of miles can be driven/no accidents etc in order for me to keep my car until the new one comes in?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Order the new car and drive yours until the papers are signed.
When the new car comes in, your trade in will be evaluated and the final contract is written.

You may want to have your car detailed before trading it in to increase it's value. Check out how much your car is worth before making the final deal.

Last edited by tenspeed; 02-19-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I negotiated the trade-in price when I ordered my A6 and received a signed 'sales agreement' from the dealership that included negotiated prices for new car and trade-in.

The dealership just asked that I keep the miles at a reasonable level and stated that any undue wear-and-tear could affect the final trade-in value.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

I did the same, ordered the A6 and the order states the trade in value if miles don't exceed xxx and if the conditin of the car doesn't change (no accidents, dents, scratches etc.). This way I know what the trade in value will be at the time the A6 arrives.

Also, I ordered the car with a low refundable down payment which means that I don't have to buy the car the day it arrives if the won't trade in the old car for the agreed on value and I won't lose any money if that happenes.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I did the same, ordered the A6 and the order states the trade in value if miles don't exceed xxx and if the conditin of the car doesn't change (no accidents, dents, scratches etc.). This way I know what the trade in value will be at the time the A6 arrives.

Also, I ordered the car with a low refundable down payment which means that I don't have to buy the car the day it arrives if the won't trade in the old car for the agreed on value and I won't lose any money if that happenes.
Thanks to all replies, EXACTLY what I needed to know.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did the same thing, only difference is that I sold my car to the dealership, they cut me a check for the equity and I will buy the A6 once it arrived with whatever downpayment I choose. I had a second car so it made it easy to do.
My car was put on the boat on Feb 8 so any week now.....
Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancC63
I did the same thing, only difference is that I sold my car to the dealership, they cut me a check for the equity and I will buy the A6 once it arrived with whatever downpayment I choose. I had a second car so it made it easy to do.
My car was put on the boat on Feb 8 so any week now.....
If yours gets shipped to RI it could be there already. I believe ours was put on the ship then and we were told on Friday it was in the port in the RI.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Order the new car and drive yours until the papers are signed.
When the new car comes in, your trade in will be evaluated and the final contract is written.

You may want to have your car detailed before trading it in to increase it's value. Check out how much your car is worth before making the final deal.
+1 on having the car detailed. It may not directly increase the value, but it certainly increases the "Wow, that car is in awesome shape, and I want it!" factor in potential buyers and makes the car "pop" relative to every other car of the same make and model out on the road. Also be sure to fix any obvious flaws (e.g. nearly worn-out brakes); your cost to do so will be less than the amount you'll lose when the potential buyer demands that the price come down to account for the work that'll be needed.