Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Traffic info on google maps

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic info on google maps

Just trying to figure where the traffic info on the google maps display is coming from? I hoping the data feed from T-mobile provides all of that information.

What does sirius traffics provide? Do we get a 3 or 6 month subscription?

Any info would be helpful.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sirius traffic data seems to depend on whether you live in a high traffic area. AFAIK, that data would include real time traffic updates, accident rerouting, etc. I don't live in that type of area so can't say for sure as I never saw any of that. However, my Sirius traffic trial has expired and I still see traffic density colors (red, yellow, blue) on my screen and have to assume they're coming down with the Google Earth data.

Sirius trial is 3 months. The traffic and radio (if you have it) are tied into one account if you decide to keep going with the service. This will screw up your existing account for the radio if you have one. I had radio time left from my '08 A6 that I traded and had that changed over to the new A6. Not only did they try and charge me $25 for doing that, they bundled it with the traffic trial and made a fabulous mess, that they wanted to charge me more for.

Sirius/XM is a screwed up company. If you decided to keep the traffic, and you have an existing radio account, be prepared to do battle and lose money.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Being a new C7 owner, I have the same questions about the traffic feed.

Is the Sirius one then the list of high traffic areas that you can pull up (I forget under which sub-menu)?

I had a C7 loaner when my C6 was getting fixed and although the Sirius account was no longer active AND no data service through Audi Connect, the traffic colors still showed on the standard nav maps.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tucker74
I had a C7 loaner when my C6 was getting fixed and although the Sirius account was no longer active AND no data service through Audi Connect, the traffic colors still showed on the standard nav maps.
Hmm. I figured the traffic colors were coming down from T-Mob with the Google Earth. If that car didn't have that active, then the colors would have to be hard-coded in the map data on the harddisk. That doesn't make any sense though...
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
Hmm. I figured the traffic colors were coming down from T-Mob with the Google Earth. If that car didn't have that active, then the colors would have to be hard-coded in the map data on the harddisk. That doesn't make any sense though...
Agreed. My memory could be off but hopefully someone can clarify.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't speak for anyone else's experience(s), but ...

As soon as my Sirius subscription expired, ALL traffic data immediately vanished into thin air, even though my T-mo data subscription still was active. It was very disappointing, as I had hoped at least the traffic flow info (as opposed to the incident reports) was coming through Google Earth rather than Sirius, meaning I'd only need to keep one of the services active to ensure I'd continue receiving the more limited real-time traffic data.

I live in Los Angeles -- obviously a high traffic area -- so that isn't an issue.

I eventually contacted Sirius, and I believe I prepaid $43 for the year to reactivate traffic. (They want $4/month, so this is a tiny discount.) During our call, they 'flipped the switch,' and the traffic data -- including the red, orange and green flow indicators -- was back up on the screen.

I've dug through all the MMI settings, and found nothing to suggest we could adjust the settings and receive traffic via Google / T-mo. So for those who have managed to achieve that, let us know how it's done!!!

For me, the $43 is worth it ... even though it bugs the hell out of me that I'm paying for it in addition to the data plan (for now). C'est la vie, I guess.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ko_audi
Can't speak for anyone else's experience(s), but ...

As soon as my Sirius subscription expired, ALL traffic data immediately vanished into thin air, even though my T-mo data subscription still was active. It was very disappointing, as I had hoped at least the traffic flow info (as opposed to the incident reports) was coming through Google Earth rather than Sirius, meaning I'd only need to keep one of the services active to ensure I'd continue receiving the more limited real-time traffic data.

I live in Los Angeles -- obviously a high traffic area -- so that isn't an issue.

I eventually contacted Sirius, and I believe I prepaid $43 for the year to reactivate traffic. (They want $4/month, so this is a tiny discount.) During our call, they 'flipped the switch,' and the traffic data -- including the red, orange and green flow indicators -- was back up on the screen.

I've dug through all the MMI settings, and found nothing to suggest we could adjust the settings and receive traffic via Google / T-mo. So for those who have managed to achieve that, let us know how it's done!!!

For me, the $43 is worth it ... even though it bugs the hell out of me that I'm paying for it in addition to the data plan (for now). C'est la vie, I guess.
It's less the $4/month for traffic, it's the fact that one can't get traffic without radio subscription. Or did that change?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm,

traffic info is free over the RDS system of our FM stations...
that's what most GPS mfg's use for their traffic info !!

more reading if u want:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel

Too bad we can't switch the 'serious' traffic to the fm feed !

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-31-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
It's less the $4/month for traffic, it's the fact that one can't get traffic without radio subscription. Or did that change?
When I went to renew service a month ago, they said I could not get the traffic without a radio subscription.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JML - TX
When I went to renew service a month ago, they said I could not get the traffic without a radio subscription.

Strange. They allowed me to order the traffic subscription only, without any issue at all. Call 'em up again, and raise hell. (Like I said, at least for me ... at $43 per year it's worth it. I agree, though -- if they required concurrent radio service, I'd be out.)

Quick Reply: Traffic info on google maps