Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Transferring movies from iTunes to DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transferring movies from iTunes to DVD

I tried transferring movies from iTunes to a DVD to play in the car. When I tried playing the DVD I got a "the medium does not contain playable files" error message. The same happened when trying to play on an SD card. Does anyone know what is causing this?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by donb4325
I tried transferring movies from iTunes to a DVD to play in the car. When I tried playing the DVD I got a "the medium does not contain playable files" error message. The same happened when trying to play on an SD card. Does anyone know what is causing this?
I think the problem is probably the export process out of iTunes not creating a playable DVD. Does the DVD you create play ok on a standard domestic DVD player? If I understand the process correctly you should be OK copying the video file from iTunes to the SD card and playing that, however it may require a firmware upgrade to the MMI as I think it is only since Audi released the "Red Grommet" AMI cable that it has been possible to play iTunes type video to the car.

That would also be another option for you, get the new cable (and any required upgrade to MMI) and then play video off your iPhone/iPod Touch or iPad. It would save you the hassle of transferring video to another media Other iPod devices are not supported for video via this cable although the current Nano is supported for album artwork.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for informative response. I recently have purchased the red cable and am able to see album artwork and play videos from my iPod. The movies are eating up the space on my iPod and was trying to find another device to play the videos from. My understanding is the same, if my MMI version is current enough to utilize the red cable, I should be able to view movies transferred from iTunes to DVD or SD card.

Originally Posted by John Simcox
I think the problem is probably the export process out of iTunes not creating a playable DVD. Does the DVD you create play ok on a standard domestic DVD player? If I understand the process correctly you should be OK copying the video file from iTunes to the SD card and playing that, however it may require a firmware upgrade to the MMI as I think it is only since Audi released the "Red Grommet" AMI cable that it has been possible to play iTunes type video to the car.

That would also be another option for you, get the new cable (and any required upgrade to MMI) and then play video off your iPhone/iPod Touch or iPad. It would save you the hassle of transferring video to another media Other iPod devices are not supported for video via this cable although the current Nano is supported for album artwork.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

If the videos you are trying to view via SD card or DVD are protected (i.e. purchased in iTunes), then the iPod / red cable combo is your only choice. The MMI's sd card reader and DVD player are not compatible with protected files.