Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Transmission issues - Clunk and Rough Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issues - Clunk and Rough Downshifting

I'm having a terrible time with downshifts in stop-and-go type traffic. All the way from 5th to 1st; you can feel the shift quite noticeably as it isn't smooth and lurches you forward a bit, and each shift is followed by an audible 'CLUNK' or 'CLICK' from the drivers side, with varying degrees of intensity.

Other times it appears to be fine, particular when the car is cold.

I've been reading a bit about a software update that supposedly helps with hard downshifts, but from what I'm gathering it's only from 2nd to 1st.

My dealer is a PITA to deal with when it comes to warranty work, and attempting to replicate an issue, but this seems like a big deal. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday, but was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue in the past?

Last edited by AudiFan50629; 07-27-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen quite a few threads on this. Some are happy with the software update while others are very disatisfied. The software update is not reversible. Once done you are stuck with new settings.

If you are absolutely sure you want a smoother ride and have no interest in better performance then you will probably be happy with update.

However... if you are a performance oriented driver and want great shifts when demand is required then STAY AWAY from the software update. Many drivers have complained about the loss of performance feeling after the update.

Good luck whatever you decide. =)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
I've seen quite a few threads on this. Some are happy with the software update while others are very disatisfied. The software update is not reversible. Once done you are stuck with new settings.

If you are absolutely sure you want a smoother ride and have no interest in better performance then you will probably be happy with update.

However... if you are a performance oriented driver and want great shifts when demand is required then STAY AWAY from the software update. Many drivers have complained about the loss of performance feeling after the update.

Good luck whatever you decide. =)
I, for one, am not happy with the software update. Stick to whatever you have!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have noted something similar. My car has a muddy upshift from the lower gears (I think 1 to 2) under moderate hard acceleration. It is absent under light acceleration, or full acceleration.

I have taken it to the dealer twice. The first time they insisted it was dirty valves and cleaned them...no difference. The second time it was just one concern among several and they seemed to just forget about it. They did say they did an unrelated software update (I am embarrassed to say I do not know what). However the problem is now improved, not gone, but improved.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Homer1946
I have noted something similar. My car has a muddy upshift from the lower gears (I think 1 to 2) under moderate hard acceleration. It is absent under light acceleration, or full acceleration.

I have taken it to the dealer twice. The first time they insisted it was dirty valves and cleaned them...no difference. The second time it was just one concern among several and they seemed to just forget about it. They did say they did an unrelated software update (I am embarrassed to say I do not know what). However the problem is now improved, not gone, but improved.
Thanks for the data point. I'm bringing it in as my primary concern tomorrow and hope for a satisfactory resolution.

I wonder though for those that got the software update, if it was primarily due to comfort or if it sounded mechanical when the issue was occurring?

My passengers even notice which is a bit embassing
Old 08-01-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Thanks for the data point. I'm bringing it in as my primary concern tomorrow and hope for a satisfactory resolution.

I wonder though for those that got the software update, if it was primarily due to comfort or if it sounded mechanical when the issue was occurring?

My passengers even notice which is a bit embassing
FWIW, the TSB was issued back in Jan, 2013.
(action 10051751, service bulletin 350465 and 66)
Not sure what you mean exactly but it supposedly helps smooth out the 8 speed tiptronic 1st to 2nd gear jerkiness that some may experience. It did help with mine.