Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Trunk will pop open after closing

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk will pop open after closing

Hello,

I have noticed this since I got the car last month and now it starts to bother me. This the issue I have:

1. lock the car
2. open the trunk by using the handle (the switch between the license plate LED)
3. close the trunk
4. trunk will pop back up by itself after 2 seconds

I have to basically unlock the car, then close the trunk again in order for it not to pop back up.

And yes, I am sure I slammed it hard enough to close it

Anyone?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Probably needs a trunk lid latch, for some reason that seems to be a problem on most Audi cars.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I've noticed a different trunk lid issue with my 2013. Every once in awhile, I lock the car and if I walk by the trunk near the driver side rear fender, it will pop open by itself. There's an auto trunk opening feature activated by sticking your foot under the rear bumper that works about half the time. I'm guessing the sensor may be directed incorrectly to the side vs down that could be causing this behavior. Another thing for them to check at the 5000 mile service.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_ultrasport
Probably needs a trunk lid latch, for some reason that seems to be a problem on most Audi cars.
Most Audis? I've had four of them and never heard of a recurring defective trunk latch problem.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

just found more info in regards to this. it is a "safety" feature to prevent the key fob from being locked up in the trunk. Make sense to me but Audi needs to improve the sensor's range.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
just found more info in regards to this. it is a "safety" feature to prevent the key fob from being locked up in the trunk. Make sense to me but Audi needs to improve the sensor's range.
Better safe than sorry...same thing happens if you are holding the key too close to the car when locking with door handle button...car won't lock. A couple inches further back should do it.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had the same issue as you mentioned about te trunk opening a couple of seconds after closing it. The dealer told me two things; first being too close can sometimes cause it to open again. Secondly, most people hit the open button on te car too many times. That can also trigger the trunk to open multiple times after closing, depending on how many times you pressed it... I was a bit skeptical at first, but moved away about 10 cm further when closing the trunk and only pressed the unlock once to open. After doing that, all the problems went away.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I had the same issue as you mentioned about te trunk opening a couple of seconds after closing it. The dealer told me two things; first being too close can sometimes cause it to open again. Secondly, most people hit the open button on te car too many times. That can also trigger the trunk to open multiple times after closing, depending on how many times you pressed it... I was a bit skeptical at first, but moved away about 10 cm further when closing the trunk and only pressed the unlock once to open. After doing that, all the problems went away.
Good point on how many times you open the trunk. Usually the first time i open it, it does nothing. The trunk will only pop when i try opening it another time.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I've noticed a different trunk lid issue with my 2013. Every once in awhile, I lock the car and if I walk by the trunk near the driver side rear fender, it will pop open by itself. There's an auto trunk opening feature activated by sticking your foot under the rear bumper that works about half the time. I'm guessing the sensor may be directed incorrectly to the side vs down that could be causing this behavior. Another thing for them to check at the 5000 mile service.
Had no idea about this feature. Is this in the manual somewhere?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mcar11
Had no idea about this feature. Is this in the manual somewhere?
I've seen that in bimmer, but audi? I doubt it.

Quick Reply: Trunk will pop open after closing