Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

TSW Nurburgring wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alvam
You never did say what they cost? I am looking for some aftermarket wheels to go on my winter set up when my car arrives in early January.
the 19x8.5 ET32 is 280 each on amazon

I don't know about snow setips but aren't the 19x8.5 is big and wide? I always thought snow needs smaller rims and narrower tires
Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by edporsche
Wider is better generally, a wider stance is a more planted stance. To a point. The suspension is tuned for +45mm. By placing it 10mm shifted out, it will be non-optimal for how the suspension was designed or intended. The general guidance that is acceptable is 10mm shift is the max in either direction. My Porsche 911 came installed with a 5mm spacer from the factory. The extra 5mm creates a wider stance, fills out the wheel well, and adds a little aesthetics with the bright spacer. Porsche does not offer a 10mm spacer. I think it's for a reason.

I think 10mm is probably acceptable, but the suspension will not react tithe same way as 45mm. A 5mm shift is a no brainier. 10mm is more problamatic for me personally. I'm going to see if I can get a custom et45 from OZ.
congrats on the car
I just noticed that I wrote 10 mm it's 13 mm as they are ET32
the 20's are 9 in wide I think so I cant use OEM spec tire size and pressure if someone know what will be the recommended tire size and pressure on the 20's I may give them a second thought
I like OZ but the mesh of the nurburgring is more appealing to me
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaikhasm
congrats on the car
I just noticed that I wrote 10 mm it's 13 mm as they are ET32
the 20's are 9 in wide I think so I cant use OEM spec tire size and pressure if someone know what will be the recommended tire size and pressure on the 20's I may give them a second thought
I like OZ but the mesh of the nurburgring is more appealing to me
You have two things to think about: offset and wheel width.

13mm = 0.51 inch. 9 - 8.5 (OEM) = 0.5 inches. Due to the offset difference, it will push out the entire rim 0.51 inches towards to curb, but due to the extra with of the rim by 0.5 inches, it puts the inside rim 0.5/2 = 0.25 inches back back closer to its original position. If I think about the centerline of the rim, the inboard rim plane will be pushed out 0.25 inches from OEM and the outboard rim plane will be pushed out 0.76 inches. It's not balanced and it has a 0.5 inch delta from the OEM. The general accepted max offset difference is 10mm. 10mm = 0.39 inches. You are at 0.5 inches. I would reconsider. Call tire rack or another professional and see if they agree. Call Audi. It will fit yes, but I think it's too far out of spec.

One other aspect of this conversation is tire noise. You have an extra ~1/2 inches of rubber hitting the road depending on which tire you use. I'm told from others on this site, the tire noise is there. This will make it worse. I have not driven a S6. Mine arrives in 20 days. If others can comment on tire noise...

I like the mesh style of the TSW rims BTW. BBS has a similar style. I think it's the CH-R. I strongly considered that rim originally, but they don't have the rim spec I'm looking for I could be way off base. Audi may have a wider spec tolerance. I'm using my experience and general principles. Just because a rim fits, doesn't mean it will hook up with the suspension in the right way. Some people don't care. To each his own in that case.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

You have two things to think about: offset and wheel width.

13mm = 0.51 inch. 9 - 8.5 (OEM) = 0.5 inches. Due to the offset difference, it will push out the entire rim 0.51 inches towards to curb, but due to the extra with of the rim by 0.5 inches, it puts the inside rim 0.5/2 = 0.25 inches back back closer to its original position. If I think about the centerline of the rim, the inboard rim plane will be pushed out 0.25 inches from OEM and the outboard rim plane will be pushed out 0.76 inches. It's not balanced and it has a 0.5 inch delta from the OEM. The general accepted max offset difference is 10mm. 10mm = 0.39 inches. You are at 0.5 inches. I would reconsider. Call tire rack or another professional and see if they agree. Call Audi. It will fit yes, but I think it's too far out of spec.

One other aspect of this conversation is tire noise. You have an extra ~1/2 inches of rubber hitting the road depending on which tire you use. I'm told from others on this site, the tire noise is there. This will make it worse. I have not driven a S6. Mine arrives in 20 days. If others can comment on tire noise...

I like the mesh style of the TSW rims BTW. BBS has a similar style. I think it's the CH-R. I strongly considered that rim originally, but they don't have the rim spec I'm looking for I could be way off base. Audi may have a wider spec tolerance. I'm using my experience and general principles. Just because a rim fits, doesn't mean it will hook up with the suspension in the right way. Some people don't care. To each his own in that case.
why would there be extra 0.5 in of rubber if OEM 255/40 R19 on a 19x8.5 ET45 and the new spec is 255/40 R19 on 19x8.5 ET32 I think I didn't understand what you mean as I am newbie to these calculations

Do any of you guys know a similar wheel closer to OEM spec
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

why would there be extra 0.5 in of rubber if OEM 255/40 R19 on a 19x8.5 ET45 and the new spec is 255/40 R19 on 19x8.5 ET32 I think I didn't understand what you mean as I am newbie to these calculations
If you look at my earlier response, I said "depending on which tire." If you use the same width tire for both rims, then obviously there is no difference. Putting a 255 tire with a 40 wall on a 9" rim is interesting... It will look funny and it might be stretching too much. Check the tire manufacturer recommended rim width. I assumed you were going with 20s. Below is the S6 spec if you have 19 or 20s.

OEM: 5x112 45mm 20x8.5 255/35 tires
OEM: 5x112 45mm 19x8.5 255/40 tires

I think you need to research this some more. You are putting a 9" rim with a tire designed for 8.5. You are putting a 13mm offset. You have an unbalanced inbound/outbound delta. I think it will look weird with the tire not matching the rim and the rim sticking out 1/2 inch. All of this does not sound good to me. It might all fit, but wow. My 2 cents with friendly admonishment over
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link that allows you to play around with tire and rim sizes. http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you look at my earlier response, I said "depending on which tire." If you use the same width tire for both rims, then obviously there is no difference. Putting a 255 tire with a 40 wall on a 9" rim is interesting... It will look funny and it might be stretching too much. Check the tire manufacturer recommended rim width. I assumed you were going with 20s. Below is the S6 spec if you have 19 or 20s.

OEM: 5x112 45mm 20x8.5 255/35 tires
OEM: 5x112 45mm 19x8.5 255/40 tires

I think you need to research this some more. You are putting a 9" rim with a tire designed for 8.5. You are putting a 13mm offset. You have an unbalanced inbound/outbound delta. I think it will look weird with the tire not matching the rim and the rim sticking out 1/2 inch. All of this does not sound good to me. It might all fit, but wow. My 2 cents with friendly admonishment over
the nurburgring are 8.5 wide same size as OEM except for the offset which is +32 mm which mean they will be identical in every other aspect beside the offset as the tsw will stick out a further 13 mm

anyway after some thinking and looking at the OZ wheels you chose they grew on me so what do you think of the 19 in wheel with same OEM spec tires? their spec is 19x8.5 ET38 the tires will be 255/40 R19
do you recommend a wider tire? I think 255 is maximum for the 8.5 (tire rack)
BTW 19&20 wheels for the A6&S6 are the same

I didn't think of the 20's as I already changed a wheel and have a damaged one because of the lovely roads we have so lower side wall would be a nightmare
Old 11-25-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

the nurburgring are 8.5 wide same size as OEM except for the offset which is +32 mm which mean they will be identical in every other aspect beside the offset as the tsw will stick out a further 13 mm

anyway after some thinking and looking at the OZ wheels you chose they grew on me so what do you think of the 19 in wheel with same OEM spec tires? their spec is 19x8.5 ET38 the tires will be 255/40 R19
do you recommend a wider tire? I think 255 is maximum for the 8.5 (tire rack)
BTW 19&20 wheels for the A6&S6 are the same

I didn't think of the 20's as I already changed a wheel and have a damaged one because of the lovely roads we have so lower side wall would be a nightmare
Oops. I thought you had mentioned 9" rims. I reread, and you were clear about 8.5" rims. Sorry about that. I plugged in the "wrong" assumptions so you could see my calculations verified. I didn't know there was a site which would do this. Cool. I was using the old calculator

I think the 255 is good for 8.5. 255 for 9" is too small and generated my last response . et38 vs et45 is acceptable. I would do it with the same 8.5" rim. If all else is equal, a 7mm offset is good. Ship it anything less than 10mm is acceptable for the same rim width.

What generated my response was a misunderstanding of wheel rim size for the same tire and 13mm offset. I'm sure you understand. Now, you only have a 7mm offset with the same size rim. Your golden.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What do you guys think of TSW Nurburgring gunmetal wheels on a moonlight blue A6?
If you like the gunmetal look...

With all the brake dust on the Audi, you will end up with gunmetal wheels a week after taking delivery.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by looking@audi
If you like the gunmetal look...

With all the brake dust on the Audi, you will end up with gunmetal wheels a week after taking delivery.
nice catch
I wanted the darker wheel to hide the brake dust as within a day it looks a little dirty and in 4 day I have gunmetal at the front and something between silver and gunmetal in the back

Quick Reply: TSW Nurburgring wheels