Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Undisclosed paint/body repair found 4 months after delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undisclosed paint/body repair found 4 months after delivery

I had my car detailed a few days ago and the detailer pointed out several areas on the car that had overspray and poor quality work (swirl buffing marks on clear coat, overspray, drip marks, and paint tape lines). I researched this a bit over the weekend and it appears that dealers are not required to disclose repairs on new car sales in Virginia unless it exceeds 3% of MSRP. I bought a fully loaded 2013 A6 with an MSRP of nearly $70k. So a 3% threshold would be something like $2,100 which I think is quite significant. I called the dealer and they confirmed that they had repaired the vehicle and that they did not disclose nor were they required to do so. It is also interesting that while the threshold for disclosure is set at a % of MSRP, there are no guidelines on how repair costs should be evaluated except that costs of glass and wheels/ tires are excluded. So with that and a little accounting trickery the threshold for disclosure can be manipulated. This is certainly not something that is consumer friendly.

The dealer said they would send someone to look at the vehicle to discuss how/if they will remedy the repair. I don't think I can trust them to do it right if they didn't the first time.

This practice may be legal but I do think I was cheated. I would expect that a luxury car dealer would have a more stringent disclosure policy that is better than that of state minimums. Audi should require dealers to adhere to disclosures policies and ethics policies, and a code of conduct that exemplifies some class and sophistication.

Forum members please comment back. What would your reaction be if this happened to you? If anyone had this happen before how did you resolve the issue?

One lesson learned is that everyone buying a new car should ask the dealer if they are aware of any repairs however minor that were made to the vehicle prior to taking delivery. There is no substitute to this and perhaps even get a written statement from the dealer. Caveat emptor.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Illegal "no"...unethical "yes"...would I be pissed "yes" I'd make it very clear that you found their lack of disclosure unsatisfactory and beneath what you'd expect from a top-tier Audi Dealer. I'd demand that you be allowed to take the car to the body shop of your choice, on their dime, to have the repair completed to your satisfaction. If they refuse, your only real options are to make it clear that you will never do business with them again and contact Audi USA.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 5tglad
I had my car detailed a few days ago and the detailer pointed out several areas on the car that had overspray and poor quality work (swirl buffing marks on clear coat, overspray, drip marks, and paint tape lines). I researched this a bit over the weekend and it appears that dealers are not required to disclose repairs on new car sales in Virginia unless it exceeds 3% of MSRP. I bought a fully loaded 2013 A6 with an MSRP of nearly $70k. So a 3% threshold would be something like $2,100 which I think is quite significant. I called the dealer and they confirmed that they had repaired the vehicle and that they did not disclose nor were they required to do so. It is also interesting that while the threshold for disclosure is set at a % of MSRP, there are no guidelines on how repair costs should be evaluated except that costs of glass and wheels/ tires are excluded. So with that and a little accounting trickery the threshold for disclosure can be manipulated. This is certainly not something that is consumer friendly.

The dealer said they would send someone to look at the vehicle to discuss how/if they will remedy the repair. I don't think I can trust them to do it right if they didn't the first time.

This practice may be legal but I do think I was cheated. I would expect that a luxury car dealer would have a more stringent disclosure policy that is better than that of state minimums. Audi should require dealers to adhere to disclosures policies and ethics policies, and a code of conduct that exemplifies some class and sophistication.

Forum members please comment back. What would your reaction be if this happened to you? If anyone had this happen before how did you resolve the issue?

One lesson learned is that everyone buying a new car should ask the dealer if they are aware of any repairs however minor that were made to the vehicle prior to taking delivery. There is no substitute to this and perhaps even get a written statement from the dealer. Caveat emptor.
WOW!! Speechless!! Id file with the BBB to start off with. Dulles or Arlington. I used to have my Q7 serviced in Arlington. They were nice but the sales people were pushy. I did a test drive with the C7 when it came out
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seem this happens a lot. I recently visited the local body shop used by the Audi, BMW and Mercedes dealers in town. I was very surprised to see 4 brand new Audis there, all with varying degrees of damage (during shipping I'm assuming).

The guy looking at my car (I was looking to have some work done on mine) said they repair brand new cars quote often and the dealer is not required to disclose it. I'm in Ontario, Canada.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cargo is often damaged. The industry has developed a thick skin and favorable laws that almost always make it the clients problem. Audi goes farther than others in their countermeasures against the ravages of shipping. The pre-delivery centers do a lot of cosmetic work, and adhere to factory standards. The fast buck artists at the dealer is trying to hit numbers and if he can hide shoddy work until UFO (you freakin own it) he will do it every time. It does not matter who he sends to look at your car. He will not do anything, and the sole purpose of his visit is to find some reason it is your fault, or convince you that the work is "standard quality." Don't let that guy near your car.

My advice is to take the car to an Audi certified repair shop, and ask how he would do the repair, how much, and how long. Call Audi and tell them you bought a new car that had been ineptly repaired and ask them to make it right. Let them take it out of the hide of the dealer. Easier for them than you.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd be royally pissed, and do what I could to get a new car. Yes, find out what was repaired, who did it, etc. See how close it comes to the threshold of 3%. What dealer?? Call them out!

Jim
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by s4str
Illegal "no"...unethical "yes"...would I be pissed "yes" I'd make it very clear that you found their lack of disclosure unsatisfactory and beneath what you'd expect from a top-tier Audi Dealer. I'd demand that you be allowed to take the car to the body shop of your choice, on their dime, to have the repair completed to your satisfaction. If they refuse, your only real options are to make it clear that you will never do business with them again and contact Audi USA.
+1

I would do all of the above and then also post everywhere you can identifying the unethical dealer so others are warned
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New cars get painted and touched up all the time. Cars can get damaged at the port, and there is a body shop there to fix stuff.

So brand new cars get sent to the dealer that have been repaired and painted. And the dealer doesn't know. But $2000 worth of damage was probably done at the dealer....and they admitted it. They just subbed it out and poor work was done.

I would be upset as well on a $70,000 car.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
..$2000 worth of damage was probably done at the dealer..
Or incurred by the carrier from the port to the dealer.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 5tglad
I had my car detailed a few days ago and the detailer pointed out several areas on the car that had overspray and poor quality work (swirl buffing marks on clear coat, overspray, drip marks, and paint tape lines). .
I would certainly be upset if I were you. However, it appears that your dealer operated within the letter, if not spirit of the law. In their effort to fix and conceal the damage they had inferior work done to you car. Take some high resolution pictures and send to Audi of America and see if you can get any assistance.

Be firm but polite in your request to your dealer. The squeaky wheel does get the grease.

Post a few pics on this forum if you can.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Undisclosed paint/body repair found 4 months after delivery