Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Undisclosed paint/body repair found 4 months after delivery

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Good! Glad you have found satisfaction.

While vehicles are frequently repaired from minor scrapes and bumps, the repair should be invisible to the owner. It doesn't sound like this was the case.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5tglad
(Posted on both this forum and AZ)

All -- an update. . .

Meanwhile the dealer called back and said a near identical car in the same color had arrived and they would like to swap the bumper and the hood from the new one to switch with mine.
WOW, just WOW

So they wanted to in essence move your problem to someone else. What an unethical dealer. You should post their name so others are forewarned.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
WOW, just WOW

So they wanted to in essence move your problem to someone else. What an unethical dealer. You should post their name so others are forewarned.
It is now a used car and they would only be unethical if they don't do the paint repair and/or disclose this to a new buyer.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It is now a used car and they would only be unethical if they don't do the paint repair and/or disclose this to a new buyer.
Nope - they wanted to take a 5 month old bumper and hood off his car and put it on a brand new car that just came in is the way I read it.

So are you saying you would be ok buying that "brand new' car that has had 5 month old parts swapped onto it?

And given the dealer's actions on the OPs car to begin with, there is nothing in their history that says they would disclose to the buyer of the new car that they swapped these parts

That is unethical in my book
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Nope - they wanted to take a 5 month old bumper and hood off his car and put it on a brand new car that just came in is the way I read it.

So are you saying you would be ok buying that "brand new' car that has had 5 month old parts swapped onto it?

And given the dealer's actions on the OPs car to begin with, there is nothing in their history that says they would disclose to the buyer of the new car that they swapped these parts

That is unethical in my book
I missed the part about the dealer offering to swap the bumper from the OP's car to a new car. If, indeed, they did that and passed off the other car as new, I agree that would not only be unethical but very likely fraudulent. Would they have really taken a chance and done it? Big risk compared to what happened with the OP which apparently was legal, even if was a crappy thing for them to pass off. (Assuming they originally knew about it and did the poor paint repair; I wasn't clear from the OP's posts if the dealer did it or it happened before the car was delivered to them and they claimed they didn't know about it until the OP discovered it later).
Old 05-25-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
... I agree that would not only be unethical but very likely fraudulent..
Agreed - but I find it hard to think of car dealers and ethics in the same sentence. I had a very, very bad experience with an Audi dealer years ago. So, when I went to my current dealer in 2006 to look at A4's I asked to speak to the manager. I told him that I had a very bad Audi dealer, a real "dick" and swore I would never get an Audi again. I then told this new sales manager that I would give them the chance to prove to me that not all Audi dealers are "dicks", but that some can be "good guys." I told him further that if he wound up being a "good guy" I would be a lifetime customer. Right now I am into my fourth Audi since 2006 from this dealership; in my book they are not "dicks", so I stick with them.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Agreed - but I find it hard to think of car dealers and ethics in the same sentence. I had a very, very bad experience with an Audi dealer years ago. So, when I went to my current dealer in 2006 to look at A4's I asked to speak to the manager. I told him that I had a very bad Audi dealer, a real "dick" and swore I would never get an Audi again. I then told this new sales manager that I would give them the chance to prove to me that not all Audi dealers are "dicks", but that some can be "good guys." I told him further that if he wound up being a "good guy" I would be a lifetime customer. Right now I am into my fourth Audi since 2006 from this dealership; in my book they are not "dicks", so I stick with them.
I've had a good one like that since 2004. Same service manager for nine years and the same sales guy for my last two Audis. The guys always knock themselves out for me.
Kinda like Cheers "where everybody knows your name".
Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wish the OP would post the dealer's name. Since he consulted a Northern Virginia attorney, the dealer is likely in the Northern VA area. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 3 Audi dealers in Northern VA: (1) Audi of Tysons; (2) Audi of Chantilly; (3) Audi of Alexandria.

To the OP, is it 1, 2, or 3 [or someone else]? Or, did you have to sign a "I'll shut-up" clause in order to get the new car?

Jim
Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There is some possibility of defamation risk when negatively identifying a company on a public forum.