Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

V6 TDI - Adjust oil pressure with VCDS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 TDI - Adjust oil pressure with VCDS

Today I was playing a little around with VCDS in the Audi. I found an adaption channel under the Engine controller where you alter the engine`s oil pump setting to “Engine oil pressure run in”. I got curious and after some googling I found that in the latest generation V6 3.0 TDIs there is a Flow Rate-Controlled Oil Pump. Under normal setting the engine gets full oil pressure at 300 Nm or 2500 rpm. By doing the mentioned change with VCDS the signal to the oil pump`s solenoid is removed and the pump delivers full flow all the time. The motive for this functionality is to reduce fuel consumption. I am thinking that if the only negative side effect with full flow from the oil pump is a bit higher fuel consumption, then I can afford that . One should believe that a higher oil pressure over time is better for the engine.

Anyone with knowledge who wants to share their thoughts on this?

Snapshot from Audi SSP 941803:

Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmosberg@frisurf.no
Anyone with knowledge who wants to share their thoughts on this?
You are assuming that the gears are rated for full output 100% of the time and that the returns are large enough to basically handle full output 100% of the time in all conditions (cold/hot/thick/thin).

I'm not sure why you need high flow at low RPM because you're going to get it when required based on throttle position.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
You are assuming that the gears are rated for full output 100% of the time and that the returns are large enough to basically handle full output 100% of the time in all conditions (cold/hot/thick/thin).

I'm not sure why you need high flow at low RPM because you're going to get it when required based on throttle position.
I assume that the variable oil pump is a result of today's sick focus on emissions and consumption. My thoughts are that a higher oil pressure and flow will reduce contact between moving parts in particular bearings and increase the transportation of heat away from the engine and in particular pistons. I have not concluded, if there are no other negative side effects than a tiny increase in fuel consumption I can afford that :-). Yes, I assume the components around the oil pump and the engine can handle full flow all the time.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmosberg@frisurf.no
I assume that the variable oil pump is a result of today's sick focus on emissions and consumption. My thoughts are that a higher oil pressure and flow will reduce contact between moving parts in particular bearings and increase the transportation of heat away from the engine and in particular pistons. I have not concluded, if there are no other negative side effects than a tiny increase in fuel consumption I can afford that :-). Yes, I assume the components around the oil pump and the engine can handle full flow all the time.
Sure, I see what you mean. Anyways, I just wanted to throw those two things out in case you hadn't considered it. Sounds like you have.