Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Very Weird "Transmission Fault" Warning

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very Weird "Transmission Fault" Warning

My 2013 A6 Prestige has 4,600 miles on it. This morning, I get in the car after church, hit the start button and basically... nothing. Just dead. So I keep trying and all of a sudden, a warning comes across the dash display that said something like "transmission fault, you can drive (or limp?) a short distance at your own risk." Not sure those were the exact words, but close. So I then tried just shutting everything down completely and started over again. This time, the car started, but a small fault triangle with an exclamation point appeared on the dash display on the top line. I was able to drive home fine. Once in the garage, I turned the car off completely again and then waited a moment and then re-started it. It started no problem and now no fault warning or triangle. Anyone ever experience anything like this? Presume I should take it to the dealer, but is this serious (like rush there tomorrow)?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator Neil
Presume I should take it to the dealer, but is this serious (like rush there tomorrow)?
Sounds as though whatever fault was there is cleared (but perhaps not fixed) so you are no longer in "limp mode". The "triangle with exclamation point" warning will most likely remain until cleared by the dealer (or Vag-Com). I accidently triggered one on my car while I was customizing the DRL intensity - it was easy to clear using Vag-Com.
As you are still under warranty you should take it to the dealer as soon as you can, they can diagnose the issue and resolve the root cause. Also, if you take it in promptly they'll not be able to fault you should there be any subsequent issues.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some known code issues.
If it happened below a certain engine temperature then Audi has been working on that.

I had mine go to limp one morning but said I could drive it. No warning not to drive. Dealer scanned the car and said I may need a new TCU. It has not recurred.

Yours sounds more ominous.

Do you have 7 speed or 8 speed?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

8 speed I believe. engine wasn't too cold, was just in church for an hour.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
There are some known code issues.
Do you have 7 speed or 8 speed?
Its the 3.0 Prestige, so this is the 8-Speed

Originally Posted by Gator Neil
8 speed I believe. engine wasn't too cold, was just in church for an hour.
Are you still seeing the warning? Do you have the VAG COM cable to run diagnostics on your car?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

haven't seen it since. and no, don't have a VAG cable. i'm taking it in to dealer this Thurs...
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's the update from dealer service visit yesterday. They found the fault codes, but said they didn't lead to any plan or remedy. That it looks like just an electrical glitch and nothing is actually wrong.