Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Vibration in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gman1086
Thanks for the information. I am taking back to the dealership today. I had the AS3+ put on a few days ago and one of the road force on the tire was 18. Since the threshold was over 20 for a bad tire they told me the 18 value would not affect how it drives. I have had the AS3 before and drove 25k miles before having to get them replaced. They have a 45k Mile warranty. I don't drive very aggressively either unless I get provoked by dumb drivers. How have those tires fares for you?
If I where you I would ignore that they said anything below 20 lbs will be fine and that 18lb tire is good. Thats not what I have experienced with my Audis, BMW, and Lexus sedans. They ALL vibrated with any tire above 10-12 lbs. Its so annoying. I would get that 18 lbs tire replaced under Michelin Uniformity warranty. Tire rack allows me to get any tire that is out of spec replaced. To be honest, Audi max spec is 15 lbs according to their dealer worksheets and factory specs. Lexus max is 10lbs. BMW max is 12 lbs.

I have replaced all the 4 Michelin AS3 + tires because I kept getting replacements that were beyond 10 lbs spec I wanted and I was contnstnatly getting vibration above 70 mph in the seats from the front and rear tires not so much the steering wheel since the Audi A8L had a stiff hydraulic steering wheel set up and it never vibrated but it varies depending on what car you have. My A7 would have high frequency vibration in steering wheel when a tire was 12 lbs road force. It was annoying so I got that tire replaced. Anyways, I went to get the older version AS3 tires since they were smooth and under 10lbs and my new set was all around 8 lbs road force and the car is smooth again. I got 35k out of the older AS3 and used the warranty to get some money towards the newer set because of the 45 mileage warranty. Tire rack was really helpful. I use separate winter wheels and tires so I am not using these 20 inch rims and Michelins after Nov- March so I am fine.

So, I would try to get that 18 lbs tire replaced by going to where ever you got the tire and tell them its out of round and excessive road force and they will order another tire for you. Just tell them its high around 20 lbs and not acceptable. If you put it in the rear then the rear end will vibrate and you will def feel it in the seat on the highway. So all the other 3 tires were below 10 lbs?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As a side note, I have the 275/35R20 on my 2016 Audi A7 and I put about 15k miles on them and I still have 7/32 tread depth left which is impressive and I bet I will get about 35-40k when done but I dont want to push it. When I get replacement next year I expect the quality of the AS3+ to be far better then it was for my A8 and all are round and road force well. The AS3 are very smooth and have stayed in balanced without any issues so far.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Torqued properly with a wrench? Hub free of rust? Brakes ok?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by r1racer
Torqued properly with a wrench? Hub free of rust? Brakes ok?
Nothing to do with that at the moment base on what he has described. Brakes will vibrate only when braking. Torque wrench is definitely done by all Audi dealers and Discount tire so I doubt thats the problem. Brake rust on hub is very rare. Its already been said that the tire had spec of 18 lbs which is a bit excessive above 10 lbs and will cause high frequency vibration in the steering wheel.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same experience with my steering wheel. Vibration like your hand feels when it falls asleep. I had hit a pot hole pretty violently and attributed it to that.

Took it to Audi and they diagnosed and replaced one of the engine mounts. 80% of the vibration was gone.

Tires were A/S3 and were getting down so I replaced them with the DW06 hoping new tires would solve the rest of the problem, but no.

Back to Audi and had the mechanic drive the car. He suspected a wheel bearing. Replaced the wheel bearing (funny, it was not on the side that hit the pot hole) and now there the only detectable vibration occurs even while idling.

I do remember driving it off of the lot and it felt like driving on ice; it was that smooth in the ride and steering wheel. I'd love to get back to that, but I guess things wear down after 65k miles.

On a side note, the DWS06 are very quiet and the ride is much more dampened than the A/S3, but I'm disappointed in the handling. I have fairly isolated mountain roads nearby that I can do some pretty spirited driving on, but the DWS06 are a bit scary.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow a pot hole took out an engine mount. First time I heard of that. Holy crap!!!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, glad i stumbled on this thread.
2008 S8, just got the AS3+ put on in march, aligned just a few weeks before that. Car had worn down pilot super sports before that and it drove super, zero vibrations.
AS3+ tires have jsut over 4000 miles on them, no cupping or feathering, however at 64 mph there is a high frequency drone and vibration in the steering wheel which started at approx 3000 miles.

I swap to my winters and the frequency is gone so I know it is the tires.
They also became super loud, like my 37" mudders on the freeway..its ridiculous to have this kind of tires noise in the D3 chassis which has dual laminated glass and heavy sound isolation.

Right now my steering wheel actually shakes at 60 mph...Takign the two front wheels to local ford dealer to have them road force balanced and see what the results are.

Michelin USA was useless, basicaly said we dont warranty noise, and buy a new set of tires. If you dont like them send them back....what about my initial $800+ set of top of the line tires?!

Originally Posted by Baloo588
If I where you I would ignore that they said anything below 20 lbs will be fine and that 18lb tire is good. Thats not what I have experienced with my Audis, BMW, and Lexus sedans. They ALL vibrated with any tire above 10-12 lbs. Its so annoying. I would get that 18 lbs tire replaced under Michelin Uniformity warranty. Tire rack allows me to get any tire that is out of spec replaced. To be honest, Audi max spec is 15 lbs according to their dealer worksheets and factory specs. Lexus max is 10lbs. BMW max is 12 lbs.

I have replaced all the 4 Michelin AS3 + tires because I kept getting replacements that were beyond 10 lbs spec I wanted and I was contnstnatly getting vibration above 70 mph in the seats from the front and rear tires not so much the steering wheel since the Audi A8L had a stiff hydraulic steering wheel set up and it never vibrated but it varies depending on what car you have. My A7 would have high frequency vibration in steering wheel when a tire was 12 lbs road force. It was annoying so I got that tire replaced. Anyways, I went to get the older version AS3 tires since they were smooth and under 10lbs and my new set was all around 8 lbs road force and the car is smooth again. I got 35k out of the older AS3 and used the warranty to get some money towards the newer set because of the 45 mileage warranty. Tire rack was really helpful. I use separate winter wheels and tires so I am not using these 20 inch rims and Michelins after Nov- March so I am fine.

So, I would try to get that 18 lbs tire replaced by going to where ever you got the tire and tell them its out of round and excessive road force and they will order another tire for you. Just tell them its high around 20 lbs and not acceptable. If you put it in the rear then the rear end will vibrate and you will def feel it in the seat on the highway. So all the other 3 tires were below 10 lbs?