Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Volume Knob Not Working Properly

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Volume **** Not Working Properly

When I turn my volume ****, the volume moves erratically. It will generally go the direction I'm turning, but it will sometimes jump a lot in either direction, such that when I try to turn the volume up a good amount, I have to switch over to the steering wheel control. My car is out of warranty now, and I wondered if anyone has ever replaced parts here or has ideas about the process. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Fortunately the scroll wheel on the steering wheel works fine.

I’ve noticed that a slight upward pull on the **** while turning it seems to help, but not always.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
When I turn my volume ****, the volume moves erratically. It will generally go the direction I'm turning, but it will sometimes jump a lot in either direction, such that when I try to turn the volume up a good amount, I have to switch over to the steering wheel control. My car is out of warranty now, and I wondered if anyone has ever replaced parts here or has ideas about the process. Thanks!
I do not know what the internals of the main volume **** look like by I would suspect dirty contacts especially if the steering wheel volume works correctly....Maybe a loose connector????
Old 06-06-2018, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i was able to fix 1 customers vehicle by doing the 942 ZUG update. Another customer needed the whole MMI switch controls so I would definitely try the update 1st
Old 11-16-2020, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same problem. Did you ever get this resolved? If yes would be interested to know how.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had it replaced under warranty and that helped, but honestly not 100%. I think sometimes the software gets confused, but you can check whether that’s the case based on whether the steering wheel control moves too. Replacing the button doesn’t look too difficult, from my experience of replacing the brake button
Old 11-16-2020, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had it replaced under warranty and that helped, but honestly not 100%. I think sometimes the software gets confused, but you can check whether that’s the case based on whether the steering wheel control moves too. Replacing the button doesn’t look too difficult, from my experience of replacing the brake button
Thanks for responding. Yes steering wheel volume control works fine. I’m out of warranty now so will get it looked at but suspect may have to live with it.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

See if you can’t find the part. I was surprised how easy it was to install the automatic brake version of the parking brake switch. You may be able to just buy the part and put it in yourself really inexpensively. There are instructions in threads that cover doing that swap, but it’s just the same as what’s listed in the service manual. Essentially you pry the leather around the gear lever off that then just lift up console. From there, should be able to unhook the volume control button and put a new one in.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

See if you can’t find the part. I was surprised how easy it was to install the automatic brake version of the parking brake switch. You may be able to just buy the part and put it in yourself really inexpensively. There are instructions in threads that cover doing that swap, but it’s just the same as what’s listed in the service manual. Essentially you pry the leather around the gear lever off that then just lift up console. From there, should be able to unhook the volume control button and put a new one in.
Ok fair enough, I will give it a try!
Old 11-18-2020, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's a link that shows how to pull the console, and I added some photos near the end that might be helpful: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Hold-Retrofit

While you're at it, you can do that swap too!
The following users liked this post:
Gareth Street (11-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Volume Knob Not Working Properly