Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Warning Triangle DIY Instructions for A6 C7

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Warning Triangle DIY Instructions for A6 C7

As has been discussed here for a few years, the A6 in some markets has an included OEM warning triangle. However, most of us are left with a molded trunk liner for that triangle without the hardware or triangle itself. The thread didn't result in a good way to have an installation as Audi would've intended.

With great help from the legendary IknowHuhA6 and others in that thread, I now have the triangle installed. I created a separate thread to identify the steps to install from start to finish for mere mortals that can't tackle a whole power trunk mod, and hopefully you will find it easy to install as well as follows:

Step 1: Buy the Parts
  • Warning Triangle Bracket: I bought mine from ECS Tuning (product link), and I think it's Audi part number 8T0860285 (possibly it's not an Audi product, but it seems perfect). At the present time it costs $14.61.
  • Warning Triangle: I also bought this from ECS Tuning (product link), and it is Audi part number 1Y0093055. At the present time it costs $25.45.
Step 2: Remove Trunk Lid Hinge Covers
IknowHuhA6 has the perfect instructions for these covers:
There were three plastic clip-straps along back of the covers (side towards front of car) that can be undone with metal pick or flat head screw driver. Then there's a small round fastener toward top outer side. To remove fastener you push-in slightly, only 1/4" to unlock it for removal. If you push pin too far inward you could completely dislodge the plastic pin inside and it will fall out and into the car's chassis.
Indeed, you need to push these pins in very gently. You also don't need to fully remove the covers, and just move them enough out of the way that you can get to the liner.

Step 3: Remove the Emergency Trunk Release Hardware
  • Remove the glow-in-the-dark plastic piece from the top of the emergency release handle
  • Use needle-nose pliers to disengage the line that opens the trunk, and set it so that it doesn't fall through the hole. If it does, you'll be able to get to it later.
  • Gently rotate the remaining portion of the trunk release handle out of its socket. This is a ball-socket connection and a bit of rotation will release it.
  • Unscrew the single screw that is holding the panel to the trunk.
  • Wedge something under the panel to detach the clips that go all around. When you do, be careful to not rip the trim piece that's attached to the liner off entirely. IknowHuhA6's picture shows where the clips are:
Step 4: Remove the Trunk Lid Handle
  • Use a thin screw-driver to pop open the hidden door cover under the handle where the screws are located.
  • Remove the philips-head screws. This is actually harder than it looks because of the angle and difficulty to get leverage because the screws should be very tight. I used a "jeweler style" screwdriver coupled with pliers that I could grip to get more torque to loosen the screws. IknowHuhA6 again had a great pic showing these screws:

Step 6: Remove Main Trunk Latch Plastic Cover
Just pull down on it, and it should slide right off.

Step 7: Remove the Trunk Clips
I found it was easiest to work from around one trunk lid hinge to find the clips and use a long-screwdriver to mate it as close as possible to the deck lid to wedge the clip out so the leverage is between the metal on the trunk and the plastic in the liner as close as you can to the clip. I also found that opening the little access doors in the liner makes it easier to see some of the clips as you work. There are clips around the edge, in the middle and at the bottom of the liner. Here's the kind of clip and socket you're working with:

Our expert again recommended watching out for removing the clip from the plastic, which would be problematic. I couldn't find out how to access the clips themselves very often and didn't have much choice, and maybe I was lucky not to lose a clip. Once the sides were done, the center and bottom pulled out pretty easily.

Step 8: Clear Emergency Release Hardware
Simply pass the emergency release hardware through the opening in the trim and remove the liner.

Step 9: Check Connections
You're now left with the trunk looking like this, and you can see the mounting locations for the bracket:

Here's the bottom of the bracket, and you can see the tab at the top that will slide under what is labeled "Tab Hook Lip" and the two plastic clips that will go into the sockets:

At this point you will be pulled by a strong force of nature to mate the bracket into the trunk lid. That's okay, go for it. It turns out this is helpful because now you'll know how much play you have to work with. To remove, just use a flat head screwdriver to release the clips on the bottom.

Step 10: Cut Room for Tab and Measure
As you noticed, there wasn't a lot of room for a liner to go in-between the trunk lid and the bracket. I first tried to do small holes, but that didn't work. So, make an incision at the top of the liner for the tab to go through, and insert the bracket. I pushed it fairly far up toward the top of the trim so there would be room for the bracket to open. Then use a thin marker or pen to draw where you're going to need to cut:

Yours won't have the hole in the bottom mine does at this point.

Step 11: Cut Liner
Procure a Makita LXT Multi-Tool like this, and make sure it has the 4.0 Ah battery:

…okay, so maybe you can cut it anyway you like. You of course know that once you cut, you can't add more, and I tried to cut so that you wouldn't be able to see the inside of the trunk once installed. Here's the cut liner:

Step 12: Check Fit and Re-install
Because of the way the clips and other hardware on the liner works, it's really hard to check fit first. As such, pull the emergency handle back through the liner and just do your best to fit the liner toward the trunk and slide in the bracket. Once installed, just put everything back in reverse. I found it a bit of a challenge getting the liner around the rubber pads on the trunk lid that strike the plastic on the lower bumper, but just work at it and you shouldn't have much trouble.

Step 13: Install the Warning Triangle
You know what to do here, and here's what it should look like when done:

Thanks again for the great pics from IknowHuhA6, and I hope you find these instructions simple to follow to restore what Audi engineers envisioned for the car!
Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Awesome write and super duper job. Looks OEM. I would never know it was not from the factory
Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks very much. Anyone else want to try?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:30 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice work. Now that you can see the attachment slots and hook lip on the lid, is it possible to feel for those areas and just cut out those 3 areas without removing the liner? OR is the thickness of the liner impede installation of the bracket?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You raise a good point, and I thought about trying to just cut the liner without taking it out. I was originally thinking I would try to just cut holes for the tabs, so I didn't think I could cut it precisely enough to hit the spots I need and therefore took the liner out. Since once I got the liner out it was clear that you can't get away with only cutting small holes, I never tried cutting the liner in place.

I now think you actually could cut it in place! Just make a hole in the middle and cut the liner until it's big enough and then check the fit. Not enough space? Cut some more.

Please try it out, and if successful, I'll update the thread to show both options.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bpd
… is it possible to feel for those areas and just cut out those 3 areas…
I just re-read this. I don't think you can cut a smaller section than I posted, so it's cutting 1 area out.