Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Well, my number finally came up...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Well, my number finally came up...

After 20"+ years I finally had an accident amounting to more than a bumper scrape or door ding. I was on my way home last night on the interstate in the right lane, not in a hurry doing about 65. I noticed a big semi truck coming up fast in the middle lane about to pass me. All of the sudden, he put on his flashers as the the truck was moving next to me and he started pulling into my lane. I honked and flashed my headlights to no avail. I moved to my right to avoid being crushed by the trailer as I stomped on my brakes and managed to get on to the shoulder. Due to the marbles and still going about 50 mph I started to slip out of control and just as I thought I would totally lose it, the car straightened out just as I scraped against the guard rail. Naturally, the truck was long gone by this point so no way to identify it at night as it was hauling away at about 80 mph.

I have some deep scrapes along the right side front fender, both passenger doors and a gouged rocker panel. I also have a nicely gouged front right wheel. I don't see any serious body damage but I haven't had time to carefully examine the car. At the least I'll have to have the three sections repaired/repainted, the wheel repaired, a new rocker panel replaced and painted and Xpel Ultimate replaced on the front fender and all new painted areas re-applied with Opti-Coat Pro.

Fortunately my deductible is only $500 and I have accident forgiveness on any premium increases. I also have about $1500 in a car rental allowance. I'm going to hazard a guess the gross cost to have it done right will be in the neighborhood of $3500-4000. I just want to be sure I can use the body shop of my choice. My Audi dealer is owned by a group that has its own collision shop that works only on high end cars. I've visited them and it's a very professional operation that does great work. As to the imitable CarFax, well, we'll have to worry about that later.

All in all, it could have been much worse, no one was hurt (except my feelings) and for that I'm thankful. Nevertheless, I hope there's karma in store for that truck driver somewhere down the road. Maybe one day he'll get an ulcer from eating food at his favorite truck stop.

If you've read this post all the way through, thanks for letting me vent all over you.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:20 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Oh man. Sorry to hear that brother.

I suspect it will be over $5k to fix. These cars are mighty expensive.

As you said at least no one was hurt.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gk1
Oh man. Sorry to hear that brother.

I suspect it will be over $5k to fix. These cars are mighty expensive.

As you said at least no one was hurt.
Thanks. If it needs only some sanding and minor fill, paint and no significant body work, it might not be that much. Obviously it will be what it will be.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snagit,

I for one of many are glad that you are alright and around to moderate and post some of my favorite material. It's a car. A really good car. You cannot be replaced. Over and out.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you were not hurt. This is one more reason to install a dash cam.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Glad you were not hurt. This is one more reason to install a dash cam.
Thanks, me too. Not sure a dash cam would have helped in this case. The res on those things might not have picked up his plate number at the departing speed. Would have been interesting to see me try to keep the car from spinning though.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pat clark
Snagit,

I for one of many are glad that you are alright and around to moderate and post some of my favorite material. It's a car. A really good car. You cannot be replaced. Over and out.
I appreciate the kind words. Though I'm not so sure there aren't a few here in the forums that would like to have seen me roll out of sight for at least a little while.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you weren't hurt and you probably also found out your cardiovascular system is working pretty well too. Things are fixable, people aren't!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
Glad you weren't hurt and you probably also found out your cardiovascular system is working pretty well too. Things are fixable, people aren't!
My heart is about the only thing that works lately. Three back surgeries in 18 months is just the tip the iceberg. Let's just say I'm getting my money's worth from Medicare lately.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that an intense moment you went though. Just imagining it puts my nerves on edge. Glad you're ok and sorry to hear about the car.
I haven't been here long but you're one of the more respectful and helpful moderators I've known on a forum board, so glad you'll still be around to keep us in check.

As for the car, you can rebuild it... faster..., stronger make it a bionic Audi = )

Quick Reply: Well, my number finally came up...