Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

What does "NCIB" mean on a Carfax?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does "NCIB" mean on a Carfax?

Hey all. Looked at the carfax for a 2012 C7 and the first couple of lines looked like this:

11/22/2011 NICB Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer
11/22/2011 34 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Nipomo, CA Odometer reading reported
Titled or registered as
corporate vehicle
01/04/2012 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Nipomo, CA Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported
11/21/2013 45,432 Mullahey Ford
Arroyo Grande, CA
805-481-3673
MullaheyFord.com Vehicle offered

I know what the NCIB is, I'm just wondering why it's listed first. Also can anyone enlighten me as to why there are no service records? This was a corporate car. Is that common?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2014, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

I think that's just the initial registration of the vehicle's VIN into their tracking system. I've seen that on many carfax reports.

Don't rely upon carfax for highly specific info regarding to maintenance. It's often missing.

Are you buying this from a Ford dealer? Is there more to this story you aren't sharing?
The following users liked this post:
Alias Blu (01-21-2024)
Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 AM
Banned

I would never trust a carfax. I once bought a used Mercedes online from a dealer in Indiana. That was the first mistake. But the second mistake was that I had the carfax and it never showed how many auction houses it went through. I kid you not, the car went through three auctions as recorded on the pink slip/title and the first seller was CarMax. CarFAX didn't have any of that recorded because the car was never registered to each winning bidder - it sat in limbo until a sucker/buyer came along.

I ended up backing out of the transaction. The car had many more problems, most importantly, huge rust issues. The car looked flood damaged but never had an insurance claim. No dealer ever logged anything with service such as oil change or inspection after they bought it from auction.

The A6 you're looking at, with no service records, was probably leased in December for 24 months and turned in or traded in early. As for no service records, I'd pass. Sure, the 5k is free and there could be AudiCare on that car but why not get a CPO from Audi and get AudiCare Plus as part of the deal?

Perhaps NICB is listed first because the dealer had LoJack installed during PDI?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I think that's just the initial registration of the vehicle's VIN into their tracking system. I've seen that on many carfax reports.

Don't rely upon carfax for highly specific info regarding to maintenance. It's often missing.

Are you buying this from a Ford dealer? Is there more to this story you aren't sharing?
There is more to the story. It was purchased wholesale from the Ford dealer by the VW/BMW dealership its at now. VW bought it because the Ford dealership didn't think they could sell it.

The car was registered in Nipomo, CA and there are no Audi Dealerships around there so maybe he took it to an independent to get it serviced.

I know the car was bought from Audi Santa Barbara and it was a corporate lease. I called Audi and verified that. Can anyone enlighten me to what corporate leases are?

Also if Carfax doesn't show the maintenance records...then who
Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by B8Lover
I know what the NCIB is, I'm just wondering why it's listed first.
Could this be the answer?

------------------------
The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) is a North American non-profit membership organization located in Des Plaines, Illinois. It was created by the insurance industry to address insurance-related crime and works closely with law enforcement agencies. Much of NICB's focus is on motor vehicle theft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Insurance_Crime_Bureau
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's the full CarFax

1/22/2011 NICB Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer
11/22/2011 34 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Nipomo, CA Odometer reading reported
Titled or registered as

corporate vehicle
01/04/2012 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported
11/21/2013 45,432 Mullahey Ford
Arroyo Grande, CA
805-481-3673
MullaheyFord.com Vehicle offered for sale
11/23/2013 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
12/03/2013 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
12/04/2013 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
12/04/2013 Mullahey Ford
Arroyo Grande, CA
805-474-2376
mullahey-ford.com Vehicle sold
12/06/2013 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Loan or lien reported
12/10/2013 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Banned

Its National Insurance Crime Bureau. The first listing is like a Certificate of Origin
Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool, thanks.

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Its National Insurance Crime Bureau. The first listing is like a Certificate of Origin
Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B8Lover

I know the car was bought from Audi Santa Barbara and it was a corporate lease. I called Audi and verified that. Can anyone enlighten me to what corporate leases are?

Also if Carfax doesn't show the maintenance records...then who
Corporate leases are leases to a corporation, could just be the lessee's business. Not a big deal. Personal leases are simply to an individual.

Car fax only shows maintenance where the shop chose to enter data into a database that car fax checks. All audi dealers participate, as do most high end foreign dealers. Most indies DO NOT. I have even seen some quickie lubes that do. I would guess this car has never seen an audi dealer after sale. If you bring the vin to any audi dealer, they can pull up any audi service, open campaigns, etc.

Unless there are records in the glove box, you may be SOL. I once had an audi dealer give me the name of the prior owner to get service info, but that was 15 years ago.

I just bought a used audi and the car fax was spot on, every audi service and even down to new tires at the dealer. It made me feel very comfortable.

It would concern me that your potential car has never seen an audi mechanic under warranty.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Could this be the answer?

------------------------
The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) is a North American non-profit membership organization located in Des Plaines, Illinois. It was created by the insurance industry to address insurance-related crime and works closely with law enforcement agencies. Much of NICB's focus is on motor vehicle theft.

National Insurance Crime Bureau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FWIW - I found your post to be "cool" lol

Quick Reply: What does "NCIB" mean on a Carfax?