Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

What oil off the shelf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about TDI?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hawke94
What about TDI?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_mo...xoC7E0QAvD_BwE
Old 02-08-2019, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That oil does not meet the specs for Audi TDI engines. The spec for the TDI is VW 507. https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...rochure%20.pdf
Or check this page from Audi. https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/maintenance-schedules/MY%202016%20Audi%20USA%20Scheduled%20Maintenance_1-31-2018.pdf

Last edited by ByByBMW; 02-08-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, after looking at this test, I'm not sure Mobil 1 is a good option.

I thought it was a great oil?
Old 02-08-2019, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Verybumpy

it is mostly just marketing. Having said that, i think that Mobil 1 is one of the better synthetics made in the USA. A lot of people like Amsoil, which is also a US Oil. I think that Amsoil is probably pretty good oil. However, getting any real, honest facts about either Mobil 1 or Amsoil ( or Castrol, Valvoline, etc., etc.) is simply impossible. The standards in the USA to be able to sell your oil as a full synthetic are not very high. Of course, US manufacturers can exceed those standards and most of them say that they do. To believe that however, you have to just trust them. There is very little real data to support any of it. Synthetic Oil made in Europe still has pretty high standards that it has to acheive to be called a full synthetic. It is simply better oil. But the internet is full of arguments about that, and a lot of people argue endlessly for various different oils. And then there are the people who say, who cares? All modern oil is great anyway so just buy whatever is cheapest. But the fact is that not all oil manufactured today is good oil. Some is bad. And 10k oil change intervals has changed the game. I know what people say about symthetic oul and how it can last forever, but 10k is proving to be a long time and maybe too long a time. But there are many that will argue with me. So, just do your research and do what you feel good about doing I guess.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy

The problem with that test is that it only went through the API SM rating and that was superseded in 2011 by the SN rating. So it is 8 years out of date.
Mobil1 synthetic was a great oil but a couple of years ago they reformulated their oils according to results on the website Bob Is The Oil Guy. E.G. their 0W-40 Euro spec oil, which was once the darling of BITOG ( the website I mentioned) has lost favor. It shears down to a heavy 30 weight oil fairly quickly.
I also have a 2013 Porsche and have started using Castrol Edge 0W-40 Euro which is getting decent reviews. In addition, the lifter tick I had with Mobil 1 has gone away.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hawke94
What about TDI?
This tends to be priced well and total advertisements are all over Frankfurt jetways!

Total (188058-5QT Quartz INEO Long Life ACEA/API 5W-30 Engine Oil - 5 Quart
Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

How many engine failures have you ever heard of by using “cheap” oil. If you change it every 5k then just about anything will do. My friend used to change his oil every 3k but instead of wasting his money he sold his old oil to another guy who went on to clock up 220k miles. BTW this other guy used to buy the old plugs as well! Most oils are good for well over 10k, the manufacturers state 10k to CYA and the oil producers tell you 10k or less so that they sell more oil. If you have a racing/track engine then that’s a different discussion.
Buying a best quality antifreeze won’t gain you anything either.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
How many engine failures have you ever heard of by using “cheap” oil. If you change it every 5k then just about anything will do. My friend used to change his oil every 3k but instead of wasting his money he sold his old oil to another guy who went on to clock up 220k miles. BTW this other guy used to buy the old plugs as well! Most oils are good for well over 10k, the manufacturers state 10k to CYA and the oil producers tell you 10k or less so that they sell more oil. If you have a racing/track engine then that’s a different discussion.
well, like i said, there is a lot of disagreement over this.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
One does not generally have engine failure with cheap oil. Accelerated internal wear is a likely better definition. In my own personal case, I used to "stretch oil changes" in my lexus gs460 (normally 5K oil changes, stretched to 7500) based on analysis because well you know, science. What ended up happening was I started consuming 1.5 qts every 800 miles with an engine with only 80K on the odometer and it was minimal consumption before that. So something happened on that last stretch that really messed things up. Obviously the take home message for me is that engines don't operate in static environments. The borescope didn't show scoring of the cylinder wall, so who knows where the oil was going and I really didn't want to tear the engine apart to find out. Tear down and fix probably would have been > $8K and I saved 6 or 7 oil changes... Not a good return on investment.

Quick Reply: What oil off the shelf?