Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Will I be unhappy with an A6 2.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 2.0T A5 for about two years before moving to the A6 3.0T Prestige and I considered getting the 2.0T for economy, etc. I like the power of the 3.0T but know that if ease up on the right foot I can make a tank of gas last a long time.

I find that driving my 3.0T A6 responsibly that I can get similar hand calculated mileage to my 2.0T A5..
Old 04-05-2013, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure where you are located geographically but having the quattro with the 2.0t may be a bit too taxing for the car.

I have a frontrack 2.0t A6 for over a year now and I absolutely love it!
* I visit the gas station less frequently as my 3.0t bretheren = GREAT MPG!
* I still from time to time have to make sure I don't get carried away with fast driving and get a ticket = GOOD MPH!

Best of both worlds!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 vs 4

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I'm seriously thinking about buying an A6 2.0T? Will I regret it? I own an A4 now and am completely happy with the performance but I know the A6 is bigger and heavier. I drove one and it seems to perform well with the 4 banger. Price and economy are important for me at this time. I would appreciate feedback from current A6 2.0T owners. Thanks.
Seems like you already answered your own question
Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a6 2.0t Q S-line, in Canada we can get them equipped like the US prestige. I had a 2010 A4 s line manual with the same engine and for some reason this A6 feels a lot better and even faster. It really feels like a V6 and in my opinion is more than adequate. If you try both cars without knowing the engine will be hard to tell the difference unless you get into the highway and push it hard..
Old 04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Randall, here's a few of my own observations and why I ended up with the 3.0t:

Back in 2008, I test drove two 2009 A4 B8's one with the 2.0t and the then available, 265 hp 3.2 non-turbo V6. Having come from a 2001 A6 2,7t twin turbo V6, I couldn't wrap my arms around the 4 cylinder - it just felt too hyper, underpowered, noisier and less smooth to me. I ended up with the V6 and for 4 years, was very happy with the car's performance and my decision. After the MY2009, Audi dropped the 3.0 for the A4.

When I went for my test drive of the A6 C7 last year, I didn't even consider the 2.0t - I went straight to the 3.0 supercharged. The difference in stated performance between the two was even greater than on the 2009 A4 I test drove, whereby the 4 cylinder engine actually had a higher torque rating than the V6 (257 lbs vs. 245) albeit with less hp than the V6. Today, 211 hp/258 lbs torque vs 310 hp/325 lbs is a much wider difference, especially with a car that's about 535 lbs heavier than an A4. A6 2.0t specs at 20/24 mpg, 3.0 specs at 18/22; approx. a 10% difference (read on for my cost projections).

Some things to consider: if gas mileage and acquisition cost is of primary concern, the 2.0t should fit the bill. If the "fun factor" plays a role in your decision, the 3.0 is the way to go. Then there's the resale value consideration. My dealer told me he sells about eight to ten 3.0 A6's for every A6 2.0t. That should provide some guidance to future desirability. Plus, you would get back a nice portion of the V6 investment at time of trade or sale down the road.

The way I looked at it is with the investment of an A6, the extra gas cost per year would play a much smaller concern for me. (Rough avg gas cost at $4 per gallon based on 15K miles, 2.0t = $2727; 3.0t = $3000; a $5.25 difference per week average or one McDonalds Big Mac. Of course, your mileage or food preferences will vary).

Finally, and perhaps of little concern to you, the Prestige trim with all of it's toys and S-line appearance plus ability to get the very distinctive LCD headlights and other tech goodies can only be optioned with the 3.0t engine.

At the end of the day, as suggested, drive both before making a decision.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a 2.0T CVT and I love it. I had an Infiniti G35 prior to the A6 and the Infiniti was a lot faster but I paid for it in gas. I personally don't need a super fast car and am very happy with the performance of the 2.0 engine. The torque and pick up is good and far from slow IMHO. If you want the driving to feel more spirited you can always switch it to dynamic mode. Not sure how much that hurts at the pump however.

If I could have spent the extra money for the 3.0 I probably would have. However I was looking at an A4 Prestige and then decided on the A6 P+ because there was not a lot of different in price. The 3.0 or even the 2.0 Quattro was just beyond what I could spend. The A6 is a far nicer car than the A4 IMHO and has a more recent MMI and the new Audi interior which to me feels far more high end than the interior of the A4.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I'm seriously thinking about buying an A6 2.0T? Will I regret it? I own an A4 now and am completely happy with the performance but I know the A6 is bigger and heavier. I drove one and it seems to perform well with the 4 banger. Price and economy are important for me at this time. I would appreciate feedback from current A6 2.0T owners. Thanks.
You will not be unhappy with the 2.0T. However, you will weep bitter tears the entire time you have it, wondering if you made a mistake. Had you not known that the 3.0T exists, you would have been happy, but no, you know there are bigger engines with more power. On occasion, you'll look down at your foot, lounging on the accelerator, and it will look back at you with big, sad eyes. You may think your foot has become sweaty for some reason, but no, it will be tears of regret and unhappiness, doom, despair and agony, deep dark depression, excessive misery. Woe to you, if you do not bring your right foot to therapy soon afterward. Oh yes, it shall even consider suicide, one toe at a time, very painful.

All because you thought you could be happy with the 2.0T.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven

Finally, and perhaps of little concern to you, the Prestige trim with all of it's toys and S-line appearance plus ability to get the very distinctive LCD headlights and other tech goodies can only be optioned with the 3.0t engine.
In Canada, on the A6 2.0T Premium Quattro, we can get everything that the Prestige gets in the US with the exception of night vision, HUD and adaptive cruise control. I just ordered my 2013 2.0T Premium Quattro with full LED headlights, top view camera, active side assist, ventilated seats, 4-zone climate control and the Bose system. The S-line and B&O stereo is also optional.

This makes the 2.0T a more attractive option in Canada.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Everyone has already made great points. This question can only be answered by you at the end. You know your own driving style. What previous cars have you had aside from the A4? I have to imagine some kind of trend will show. Do you like performance, or do you like style? Do you like a combo of both? How many times have you driven and wanted/needed the fast passing power that a 3.0T could give that a 2.0T possibly wouldn't?

I am a combo (middle of the road) guy myself. So I went with the 3.0T Prestige. Didn't go full blown S6, but didn't go 2.0T. My car history actually will show that I am a middle of the road to fully loaded kind of driver.

In the end, should you go 2.0T and not like it, you could either trade if you have the money to take that hit or just modify the car a little. I am personally not sure what the 2.0 has in that department, but I know something exists to help it along.

My vote is just to get the 3.0T. The MPG is good and the power is fun.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNit
In Canada, on the A6 2.0T Premium Quattro, we can get everything that the Prestige gets in the US with the exception of night vision, HUD and adaptive cruise control. I just ordered my 2013 2.0T Premium Quattro with full LED headlights, top view camera, active side assist, ventilated seats, 4-zone climate control and the Bose system. The S-line and B&O stereo is also optional.

This makes the 2.0T a more attractive option in Canada.
Sounds like you get more to choose from with that engine option. Unfortunately for the OP, he lives in North Carolina which I believe is more than likely in the U.S. He can't get access to the goodies on a 2.0t that you can up north or ROW. Audi does sometimes make it more difficult down here.

Quick Reply: Will I be unhappy with an A6 2.0T?