Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Will I be unhappy with an A6 2.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Sounds like you get more to choose from with that engine option. Unfortunately for the OP, he lives in North Carolina which I believe is more than likely in the U.S. He can't get access to the goodies on a 2.0t that you can up north or ROW. Audi does sometimes make it more difficult down here.
Sorry about that but if a Canadian were to browse this website looking for feedback on a 2.0T A6, it would be important to them. This is basically the only forum in North America that has discussion on Audi's.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove several cars today, all used 2013 models, including a couple 2.0Ts. For my use, daily commuting, the 2.0T will do fine. It easily cruises at 70 mph turning than 2K rpms. It actually seemed to handle slightly better than the 3.0 on side streets. Now I just need to find the right car at the right price. 2013 model 2.0T loaner cars with 3-6K miles with stickers around $52-$55K are going for $43-46K. Some are CPO and this seems to add about $2K to the price.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can always get an aftermarket ECU flash from Stasis or GIAC and get a nice boost in power and torque. Should be able to shave a second off 0~60 MPH time for the price of a typical option. Do it a year later and have a nice treat. Makes any 4 cylinder more driveable for every day use or with a few passengers. Here is the link to the same motor in the A4:

http://stasisengineering.com/signatu...ies-a4-20-2009

Last edited by JerryS4; 04-05-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I drove several cars today, all used 2013 models, including a couple 2.0Ts. For my use, daily commuting, the 2.0T will do fine. It easily cruises at 70 mph turning than 2K rpms. It actually seemed to handle slightly better than the 3.0 on side streets.
Good point about handling; I forgot to mention it in my earlier post. Having had a 2010 A6 3.0T (the same basic supercharged engine that the C7’s have), I can tell you that added front weight does affect the car’s tossability. My 2013 A6 2.0 QT P+ feels much sportier and actually more of a back road car than even the lighter A4’s I've had. Ultimate cornering may not be there (I have the "skinny" 245/45x18 wheel/tires), but in terms of quick transitions and tossing it about in the twisties, the 2013 with the 2.0 feels really on it toes. And the 8-speed Tiptronic is a wonder in and of itself. far better than the 6-speed ones I previously had, and much better than the CVT my buddy has in his 2012 2.0 A6.

Last edited by irenesbob; 04-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

rmorin1249,

This past February I replaced my 2012 A4 Premier Plus Quattro for my present 2013 A6 Premium Plus Quattro. The 2.0 TFSI engine was an excellent power source for the A4. This very same engine in my A6 has provided the same degree of excellence.

My A6 with its turbocharger provides sufficient power for me to make immediate high speed acceleration from onramps to freeway lanes. It also delivers the necessary thrust to propel me at high speeds to easily pass other vehicles on the interstate.

Gasoline consumption with this engine is outstanding .

I did not purchase the A6 with this engine because I wanted a high powered car to peel rubber whenever I moved from a standing start or one that could circuit a race track at pulse exciting speeds. I wanted and got an Audi that provided me with performance, luxury, and power to meet the requirements of driving in a busy metropolitan city as well as cruising at the highest legal speeds between cities.

Best of all, the ride with this engine is enjoyable at all times.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNit
Sorry about that but if a Canadian were to browse this website looking for feedback on a 2.0T A6, it would be important to them. This is basically the only forum in North America that has discussion on Audi's.
I was jesting and agree. You guys get more versatility in your option choices. And for the ROW, here's so much more than we have access to in North America.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I was jesting and agree. You guys get more versatility in your option choices. And for the ROW, here's so much more than we have access to in North America.
Wouldn't it be nice to have the 6 speed manual transmission option that they have in Europe on their A6's (albeit only on the FWD models)? Why North America only have a MT in A4's is beyond me. Even the new A3 sedan (and S3) will not have the MT available in North America.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.

Last edited by TheNit; 04-05-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNit
Wouldn't it be nice to have the 6 speed manual transmission option that they have in Europe on their A6's (albeit only on the FWD models)? Why North America only have a MT in A4's is beyond me. Even the new A3 sedan (and S3) will not have the MT available in North America.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.
For the same reason we don't get the Avant - purportedly because we won't buy them in any great numbers. Hell, Audi NA won't even bring in the sweet new V8TT that's available in the S6/7/8.

What's that? Really?

Never mind...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good points have been made already, but here's my two cents.

I've had my P+ 2.0T (FWD w/ CVT) almost 9 months and I've never felt that the car was inadequately powered. For my daily driving I don't have many opportunities to run with the throttle wide open, but the 2.0T is definitely quick enough to merge into (and get around) traffic on the highways. I also have the 19" sport package and this car is always able to oblige when I want to open it up on the on ramps and clover leafs. I recently took a weekend road trip across Florida and fell in love with the car all over again.

If there is a weak link in the package, it's the CVT. I have not had a single problem with this transmission but it just can't deliver the thrill of a proper manual shifter, even though it has 8 virtual "gears" when used in "S" or Dynamic modes. However, I do appreciate the fuel economy of the 2.0T/CVT combo.

Unless you see yourself taking the A6 out to the track or making any performance mods, I don't think you'll be unhappy with the 2.0T.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s4str
Seems like you already answered your own question
Yep..

To OP.. listen, if you are not racing or you really have no need to race 2.0T will work just fine for you.

The new A6 has a lighter chassis than before and 2.0T is a potent engine. It's not gonna snap your neck but it won't be slow..

2.0T Quattro has about the same performance as I had with Q7 3.6L and I was SUPER happy with it. It had just enough oomph on freeway I needed. It's not comparable as Q7 had higher lb/ft but I think you will be happy.

I drove the 2.0T Quattro and it was awesome car. I decided to go with 3.0T because I wanted a bit more power as I do like to drive a bit faster. But if I was in your position, economy, cheaper price and the same interior really (if you go with Premium Plus at least) was the same.

The point is, you will not feel any different if you had 3.0T aside from actual acceleration. You will still feel like you are driving a spaceship as I believe most of us do now with the new A6

Quick Reply: Will I be unhappy with an A6 2.0T?