Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Metallic-Force
Well I just got hit bad... A giant chip that seems to be 1/2 inch deep. I have the HUD. This sucks. My mustang held better lol.
Does HUD matter? Is there some film on the inside of the glass that helps the display? If so, I'll need to make sure that option is on the glass the installer orders.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had safelite replace the windshield on my BMW and they did a great job. HUD requires a specific windshield and is a varying thickness piece of glass. Ensure that they order the specific one for your car.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by das2.7t
Does HUD matter? Is there some film on the inside of the glass that helps the display? If so, I'll need to make sure that option is on the glass the installer orders.
Yes, HUD matters. The windshield is different...the info below is specifically for the A6. I got this info from the 2012 A6 Vehicle Introduction PDF that two other forum members, tenspeed and Seki, shared copies of.

Last edited by darcivic00si; 07-12-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aaaah!

Literally JUST took delivery of my A6 yesterday, and on the drive home, open road, no traffic I hear a big "CRAACK!" . . . my thoughts immediately went to this thread and when I woke up this morning, I was greeted with cracked windshield. Ugh. Back to the dealer on Monday. Pretty clear at this point, that there's either a design or manufacturing defect involved.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhodory
Literally JUST took delivery of my A6 yesterday, and on the drive home, open road, no traffic I hear a big "CRAACK!" . . . my thoughts immediately went to this thread and when I woke up this morning, I was greeted with cracked windshield. Ugh. Back to the dealer on Monday. Pretty clear at this point, that there's either a design or manufacturing defect involved.
Oh my god that's terrible. They need to address this asap.

I hear a cracks on my windshield all the way from the right side (if you're sitting in it) But that might be the hard plastic shifting near the speakers.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow! Just got off the phone with the dealer and they're not going to fix this issue. So now I'm on the phone with Audi. I have to say, if Audi doesn't cover (what would appear to be) a manufacturing defect on a $65k car . . . makes me reconsider why I wouldn't purchase a Lexus or Infiniti in the future. Of course, there's no guarantee Lexus or Infiniti would cover such an issue, but at least I'd save myself $8k on the purchase. At a loss for words at the moment. NOT the way I wanted to start my ownership experience.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Should add (wish I could edit) that just as there are "they made me a customer for life" type experiences with products, there are also, "never again" type experiences. Having a windshield crack less than 4 hours after delivery and having the manufacturer not cover it would be one of the latter (for me).
Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is making me rethink getting the Audi A6 - if that is the type of support they are giving to you guys.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by palermo22
This is making me rethink getting the Audi A6 - if that is the type of support they are giving to you guys.
Im thinking you probably should rethink it - know you have been having doubts at least since last month. Its a pretty major commitment of $$, even if you still go after the 2.0T, and the last thing you want to be doing is having buyers remorse before even writing the check.

Everyone has their own perspective on importance of features, problems, and dealer support. There will be variances between cars, and dealers. I had some of the same concerns you expressed in the other thread, but after going back for further test drives, I put them to bed. While I've only been an owner for a week, I can find no fault with the car, nor the support Ive gotten from MY dealer - but that is just my experience. I cannot imagine how I would feel if I were still harboring doubts now that I have taken possession.

There are a lot of great cars out there... sounds to me like there are other alternatives that might be calling to you more loudly right now?

Good luck whatever your decision...

dhodory, best of luck getting your issue resolved... really too bad having that happen so quickly. Have you had any conversations with your insurance? I don't know what A6 glass goes for, but I know my old A4 was not cheap by any stretch.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by dhodory
Wow! Just got off the phone with the dealer and they're not going to fix this issue. So now I'm on the phone with Audi. I have to say, if Audi doesn't cover (what would appear to be) a manufacturing defect on a $65k car . . . makes me reconsider why I wouldn't purchase a Lexus or Infiniti in the future. Of course, there's no guarantee Lexus or Infiniti would cover such an issue, but at least I'd save myself $8k on the purchase. At a loss for words at the moment. NOT the way I wanted to start my ownership experience.
Have you let the garage look at it? If they can show it is down to your fault (i.e. a stone or whatever hit the screen and stones unfortunately do not appreciate that this is your new car) then they are in their rights to reject your request. If they can't show that then they should accept it is a manufacturing fault and replace it for you. Actually sitting in the showroom and having a face to face discussion is likely to get you a much better response, especially when you remind them you are their customer and have just spent a large amount of money with them and they will be getting your service business for the foreseeable future, than trying to do it on the phone

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracked