Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Windshield Washer Spray Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Spray Adjustment?

I was wondering if anyone knows if the windshield washer streams/nozzles are adjustable? (I haven't popped the hood and looked)

On each side, a three pronged stream sprays windshield fluid onto my windshield. But because the windshield is pretty sloped and the powerful streams hit about half way up my window, a lot of the fluid sprays above the car and actually coats my rear window.

If the stream were to be adjusted down a little, I think it would allow the windshield fluid to be better used on my front windshield.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most nozzles are a pintle in a plastic housing. Stick a pin into each opening and adjust its direction a little at a time until you're satisfied.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Million dollar question can the nozzles be replaced with nozzles that will generate a fan pattern. This current spray pattern in that 3 jet spray doesn't really cover the windshield and wastes so much fluid My old E350 had the fan pattern which was awesome then they idiot engineers changed it to the current W212 set up which is just what is in the audi and it sucks!!! That is actually one thing that I was depressed about when I test drove the S6. If I can switch those out to the fan pattern I will. Engineers love to change things that already work and don't need to be changed for the sake of change or some bean counter thinks they can save a nickel per part. I know I'm **** over something so minor but its a really annoying thing that shouldn't even be an issue!!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfepack88
My old E350 had the fan pattern which was awesome then they...
Buy some E350 nozzles and figure out how to install them. Don't be afraid to make make modifications that work best for you and the area you drive in.

My GM daily driver has nozzles that clip onto to the wiper arms and never give me a problem unless they freeze. I would splice them in if I thought they worked better than the Audi outlets.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by YHan01
If the stream were to be adjusted down a little, I think it would allow the windshield fluid to be better used on my front windshield.

Thanks!
If you mean that it sprays over the top of the car when the car is at rest that is quite a problem. However, if this occurs when you are at speed (say 45 mph+) consider that the wind going over the car is carrying it back there, at least partially. If you adjust the nozzles down it will likely help at speed, but then if you use the washers at rest or low speed they might squirt it all at the bottom of the windshield. Sometimes finding the right compromise on things is difficult – good luck.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
If you mean that it sprays over the top of the car when the car is at rest that is quite a problem. However, if this occurs when you are at speed (say 45 mph+) consider that the wind going over the car is carrying it back there, at least partially. If you adjust the nozzles down it will likely help at speed, but then if you use the washers at rest or low speed they might squirt it all at the bottom of the windshield. Sometimes finding the right compromise on things is difficult – good luck.
Perhaps the next technology will be a speed sensitive, adaptive windshield washer system. Unless someone is already doing it.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Drove my wife's outback and was shocked how much better the "Fan" sprayer was on her car... has anyone found a replacement nozzle to get this action? Saw talk of a Passat nozzle on an A4 forum.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BenjaminJames
Drove my wife's outback and was shocked how much better the "Fan" sprayer was on her car... has anyone found a replacement nozzle to get this action? Saw talk of a Passat nozzle on an A4 forum.
I would be very interested in this. I had a 95 Subaru legacy that had stream style washer nozzles like we do. 2nd best mod I ever did that car was put in some fan style nozzles.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by YHan01
I was wondering if anyone knows if the windshield washer streams/nozzles are adjustable? (I haven't popped the hood and looked)

On each side, a three pronged stream sprays windshield fluid onto my windshield. But because the windshield is pretty sloped and the powerful streams hit about half way up my window, a lot of the fluid sprays above the car and actually coats my rear window.

Thanks!
Yes they are adjustable. However to do it the conventional way by using a pin when the bonnet (hood) is shut is well nigh impossible. The easiest way is to open the bonnet and unclip the washer unit from the underside of the bonnet. You can then use a pin to adjust the nozzle as required (or unblock them!) and then clip it back on. The real pain of this is that you then need to shut the bonnet to check if the adjustment made is sufficient and if not repeat the whole process again
Old 02-20-2015, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

A post from combatmiles on Motor-talk.de says that the facelift sprayers are the fan style, part numbers 4G0 955 987 A and 4G0 955 988 A. The current Euro Passat sprayers may also fit.