Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Winter or All Season Tires for the 20" Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter or All Season Tires for the 20" Wheels

So I was thinking about downsizing to the 19" with A/S tires to avoid having to swap out tires twice a year on my 20" OEM wheels. But I've grown quite fond of the 20s and now don't want to part with them. Does anyone have any experience with either 20" all-seasons or winter tires? Tire Rack is selling the Conti ExtremeContact DWS all-seasons for $776 and the Dunlop Winter Sport tires for $1500. I would never have to drive in deep snow here in S. Ohio. The worst I could ever see getting myself into would be maybe 3-4 inches of uncleared snow. Of course, freezing rain & black ice is another story.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW......I don't know about OH, but here in IL, IDOT loves salt. Snow falls and the salt is right behind it. I personally don't want to subject these 20"s to those conditions, so I actually am going to an 18" rim this winter. I bought some off of ECS Tunning for a good price I feel. I needed spacers though for front brake clearance. I wrapped them in Michelin X-Ice rubber. They go on in the next week or so.

I know what you mean on the 20"s though. They are mean and really add a sort look to our cars. They will be missed as they hibernate in their wheels bags in storage.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I love those 20" (what my wife calls "flower") wheels, but they really shouldn't be used in snow and ice, even if appropriate winter tires can be found. I too will be changing to 18" wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires, next week.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AcuraUpToAudi
I agree. I love those 20" (what my wife calls "flower") wheels, but they really shouldn't be used in snow and ice, even if appropriate winter tires can be found. I too will be changing to 18" wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires, next week.
+1 (When my car arrives in early Feb) but I will be using Blizzaks which I used on my BMW 3-series and loved 'em.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your wife calling it a flower is like my wife saying I drive a cute car. No it is not a flower and no the car is mean not cute. HAHA. Another member called them meat slicers. I like that description.

My opinion, I was going to get some Dunlops (forgot the model), but the tireack feedback from customers was weak. They all said wet driving is bad. Some cars with all wheel as well, so even though we have quattro I got nervous. I spent $100 more for the X-ice, but the reviews seem really positive. It was between those and the Blizzaks for me.

Nice screen name. What Acura did you step out of? I had an 02 CL Type S back in 02-04. That was a fun car.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Your wife calling it a flower is like my wife saying I drive a cute car. No it is not a flower and no the car is mean not cute. HAHA. Another member called them meat slicers. I like that description.

My opinion, I was going to get some Dunlops (forgot the model), but the tireack feedback from customers was weak. They all said wet driving is bad. Some cars with all wheel as well, so even though we have quattro I got nervous. I spent $100 more for the X-ice, but the reviews seem really positive. It was between those and the Blizzaks for me.

Nice screen name. What Acura did you step out of? I had an 02 CL Type S back in 02-04. That was a fun car.
But she did agree to call the car "Da Beast".

I ordered the winter wheel and tire package from the dealer when I purchased the car two weeks ago. At first they said they were Pirelli's, but they recommended the Dunlops instead. The one thing I didn't research extensively about this car before buying.

We traded in a 2003 CL Type-S
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

But she did agree to call the car "Da Beast".

I ordered the winter wheel and tire package from the dealer when I purchased the car two weeks ago. At first they said they were Pirelli's, but they recommended the Dunlops instead. The one thing I didn't research extensively about this car before buying.

We traded in a 2003 CL Type-S
Do you mind disclosing what the dealer set up set you back for? I am going back and forth on whether to buy through the dealer or use Tire Rack. The only incentive I can see is that they store the off season tires for you for free if you buy through the dealer.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alvam
Do you mind disclosing what the dealer set up set you back for? I am going back and forth on whether to buy through the dealer or use Tire Rack. The only incentive I can see is that they store the off season tires for you for free if you buy through the dealer.
They store them for you? I didn't know that. I guess that also means you need to use them to swap them for you and they wanted to charge me some $130 to put on the winters when they get them in stock. I'll do it myself.

The package, including the Audi 5-V-spoke design wheels, after the 10% new car discount, before tax, was $2,565. They will come mounted and balanced with installed sensors for the TPMS and includes storage bags.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
So I was thinking about downsizing to the 19" with A/S tires to avoid having to swap out tires twice a year on my 20" OEM wheels. But I've grown quite fond of the 20s and now don't want to part with them. Does anyone have any experience with either 20" all-seasons or winter tires? Tire Rack is selling the Conti ExtremeContact DWS all-seasons for $776 and the Dunlop Winter Sport tires for $1500. I would never have to drive in deep snow here in S. Ohio. The worst I could ever see getting myself into would be maybe 3-4 inches of uncleared snow. Of course, freezing rain & black ice is another story.
I would think A/S's in the type of snow/conditions you are describing would be fine. I myself am keeping the 20's on with A/S tires. Taking them on and off/scratching/damaging every season seems likely.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the 20" rims and swapped the rubber to the Conti DWS about a month ago. I have not been able to put them to the snow test yet (Chicago), but I had them on my previous car and they were more than adequate for our winters here.

They ride very nicely in the dry, work great in the wet and handle decent, though nothing like the summers.

For me, I love the look of the 20" rims and want them on my car all year round.

Quick Reply: Winter or All Season Tires for the 20" Wheels