Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Winter Tire package

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Winter Tire package

Did anyone yet purchase the Audi recommended winter wheel and tire package from their dealer? For my 2012 Prestige it seems like it includes the stock 8.0J x 18 ET39 alloys with 225/50 R18 99H Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO™ SERIES II tires + 24 month road hazard warranty.

Price seems a bit high compared to packages on Tire rack or other sites - although there you don't get the Audi wheel. I'm not sure about the 225/50 R18 99H Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO™ SERIE II tires. Seem just OK depending on what site survey you read.

1. Any experiences with that tire versus others?
2. Why the change in tire size versus the stock 24/45/18 Continentals.
3. Any thoughts / guidance ? THANKS
Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer you sizing question you have to consider what is technically referred to as "floatation". If you need low ground pressure to float across soft surfaces (think of muddy farm fields or construction sites) you go with a wider tire with a bigger foot print. However in snow, you want the tires to bite down through the loose snow to find the hard pack or ice beneath in order to get traction. For this reason, you go with a narrower tire with higher ground pressure and lower "floatation".
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just purchased a set of 4-225/50R-18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL tires and 4-18x8 moda MD11 BDC rims from Tire Rack. Full price, installed, balanced and shipped $1418.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rtw_ca
I just purchased a set of 4-225/50R-18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL tires and 4-18x8 moda MD11 BDC rims from Tire Rack. Full price, installed, balanced and shipped $1418.
Got the same tires, cant wait to try them out.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 PM
lje
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone purchased the Dunlap SP Winter Sport 3D. I have a 2013 Premium Plus and need a set of winter tires/wheels I have a quote from my dealer for factory wheels, the same 10 spoke OEM wheels that came with the car, but as you can imagine they are fairly expensive. I also have a quote for the Dunlaps from Tire Rack Does Tire Rack offer a 18" wheel that would look good.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lje
Has anyone purchased the Dunlap SP Winter Sport 3D. I have a 2013 Premium Plus and need a set of winter tires/wheels I have a quote from my dealer for factory wheels, the same 10 spoke OEM wheels that came with the car, but as you can imagine they are fairly expensive. I also have a quote for the Dunlaps from Tire Rack Does Tire Rack offer a 18" wheel that would look good.
As was mentioned in another thread, Costco will order anything you want with no upcharge. If you're a member give them a call.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lje
I bought them for my S5 with the OEM winter wheels. Tires are great in the snow. No complaints here.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a less than stellar experience with my winter tire package for my 2012 A6.

Although I was most impressed with the Michelin Pilot Aplin PA3 rubber (they perform excellent in the snow and wet), I had continual issues with the balance. The Michelins (245/45/18) were applied to ASA GT5s.

The Tire Warehouse, Inc., in Queensbury, NY, installed the package in Nov. 2011. Over the next few months, they repeatedly (and unsuccessfully) tried to properly balance the setup. Got close a few times, but never right on - there was always a shake at speed ( usually over 45 MPH). It somewhat reduced the exhuberance of driving this beast in inclement weather.

At the end of the season, they ordered metal rings that are supposed to be set inside the wheels, but I had already changed over to the summer package. We'll see if the rings make a difference later in November.

They also did not have Hunter Roadforce balancing, and I was wondering if that might help in some way. If they can't get it right the first time, I guess I'll try to find a RoadForce shop locally.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JLogan
I had a less than stellar experience with my winter tire package for my 2012 A6.

Although I was most impressed with the Michelin Pilot Aplin PA3 rubber (they perform excellent in the snow and wet), I had continual issues with the balance. The Michelins (245/45/18) were applied to ASA GT5s.

The Tire Warehouse, Inc., in Queensbury, NY, installed the package in Nov. 2011. Over the next few months, they repeatedly (and unsuccessfully) tried to properly balance the setup. Got close a few times, but never right on - there was always a shake at speed ( usually over 45 MPH). It somewhat reduced the exhuberance of driving this beast in inclement weather.

At the end of the season, they ordered metal rings that are supposed to be set inside the wheels, but I had already changed over to the summer package. We'll see if the rings make a difference later in November.

They also did not have Hunter Roadforce balancing, and I was wondering if that might help in some way. If they can't get it right the first time, I guess I'll try to find a RoadForce shop locally.
The centering rings should solve the vibration issue.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JLogan
Would those be hub centric rings?

Quick Reply: Winter Tire package