Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Winter Tire package

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui19
Fair enough, but in my experience (27 years of driving in Northern New England on many different kinds of snow tires), the Dunlops were the best snow tires I've run. IMO it is a big mistake to discount dry weather performance, since so much of one's winter driving is on cold, snowless roads. The Dunlops excel in both snow and dry conditions.
Yes, it is a matter of personal driving style preference...desire for the most capability and safety on snow/ice does go along with willingness to drive somewhat more relaxed when on the dry during winter. For me, the most reliable possible stopping and turning wins over dry weather performance for a few winter months. Everyone can choose their own best combination of tire attributes, but the category of studless winter clearly has more snow/ice capability than performance winter.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Dunlop 3D's on my 2012 A4-S line and they were great in the prior two tough winters. Used in NYC metro and many ski trips to VT or NYS. The handling was fantastic even though I downsized to 17" wheels from OEM 19" summer Contis. I suppose there are better deep snow tires but 99% my driving is on paved and plowed roads, slush, ice. The only unplowed road is my driveway if my plow guy comes late. That is a flat 60'. If you drive on unplowed roads I suggest and SUV or truck.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I used Tire Rack Sports Edition inexpensive black wheels and their wall mounted wheel rack. I may need a pulley for the A6 wheels and tires. Heavy for this old man.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrels41
I suppose there are better deep snow tires but 99% my driving is on paved and plowed roads, slush, ice. The only unplowed road is my driveway if my plow guy comes late. That is a flat 60'. If you drive on unplowed roads I suggest and SUV or truck.
It's not just about "deep snow". The advantage of "studless winter" tires includes the different and softer hydrophilic compound and tread pattern used to generate traction on any amount of snow which blocks the tread from finding the road surface. Even a couple of inches can do that. On even moderate depth snow where you cannot see the road surface, a Blizzak WS tire will stop in less distance than a Blizzak LM tire...same for other studless vs performance winter tires. For quick avoidance braking or turning, that can make a difference if and when that situation arises.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
It's not just about "deep snow". The advantage of "studless winter" tires includes the different and softer hydrophilic compound and tread pattern used to generate traction on any amount of snow which blocks the tread from finding the road surface. Even a couple of inches can do that. On even moderate depth snow where you cannot see the road surface, a Blizzak WS tire will stop in less distance than a Blizzak LM tire...same for other studless vs performance winter tires. For quick avoidance braking or turning, that can make a difference if and when that situation arises.
I've had great success with the Blizzak WS-series tires as well. The A6 is nearly unstop-able in the powder, hardpack and slush and is good in wet and cold/dry. Where these multi-cell tires really shine is the rapid and frequently changing transition between these conditions which represents the majority of winter weather driving in the NE Dec - Feb.

Like others have said, narrower is better but so is height. I have the sport package on my A6 so it is already pretty low. I put 225/55-18's (on the stock 18" rims that came with the sport package) and that extra little bit of height appears to be helpful when pushing through deeper snow.

And, for the earlier posts in the thread, the centering rings will clear likely up the vibration. Very necessary!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is an excellent point. Now I have to weigh safety vs happiness.