Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Wrapped my trim

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrapped my trim

I decided to wrap the satin trim around the windows in gloss black (a la black optics package) and the chrome trim around the grill in a matte gunmetal metallic grey. I decided to go with gloss rather than matte around the windows because I felt that matte window trim would have resulted in too much matte finish around the windows because of the existing matte rubber window seals. I went with matte grey around the grill because I wanted to retain some contrast between the grill trim and both the grill and the body. Black grill trim (especially gloss black which would match the gloss grill, and to a lesser extent matte black) eliminates that contrast. FWIW, on the black optics package, both the grill trim and the window trim are gloss black, but the grill itself is matte black rather than gloss black, so there is at least some contrast between the grill trim and the grill, but not that much contrast between the grill trim and the body if your car is black or close to black.

I should note that I don't actually dislike the satin/chrome trim - I think it looks really nice, although I wish Audi would go all satin rather than mixing the two. I do think, however, that black window trim makes the car look sportier and more aggressive, which I happen to prefer. As for the grill trim, if the factory finish were satin, I probably would have left it, but the chrome was just a bit too much bling for my taste. Again, I think it looks great - it's just not me.

Finally, I didn't get the factory black optics package because (a) I didn't want the matte black grill gloss black trim combination, and (b) I don't like the style of the wheels that come with. I do, however, like the grey color of the black optics wheels, and am considering powder coating my wheels to match the gunmetal metallic grey of my grill trim.

Only one picture pre-wrap attached, but I think you all know what it looks like with the original trim.

Comments, both positive and negative, are appreciated.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (05-27-2021)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job! I like the sides. That looks good. Think I would have blacked out the front too though. Someday I'll get around to it. What vinyl did you use?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Great Job! What product did you use?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Definitely huge improvement. I absolutely agree about the chrome and satin mixing. I like them both but just not together.

Did you do it yourself? How long did it take you?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had it done at Sticker City in Sherman Oaks, CA - pretty much THE place to go to have your car wrapped from what I was able to gather in my research. They do tons of exotics (usually full body color change wraps) and everyone seems to be a repeat customer (lots of comments along the lines of "the only place where bring my Ferraris" or "they've done every one of my Lambos and Bentleys" which seem hard to believe until you drive up and see the driveway and shop littered with exotics.)

The wrap is 3M and it took about 3, 3.5 hours.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I usually preach that cars should be left as they come from the factory, but this looks great! I am pleased to see that the body has not been ridiculously lowered and the wheels not so low-profile that the car appears to be on flat tires, a look some achieve with their efforts at customization. Great work! And, I assume it is all reversible? As someone who leases, that is a consideration.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am pleased to see that the body has not been ridiculously lowered and the wheels not so low-profile that the car appears to be on flat tires, a look some achieve with their efforts at customization. Great work! And, I assume it is all reversible? As someone who leases, that is a consideration.
Ride height and wheels/tires are all factory original sport package spec.

Wrap is indeed fully and easily removable.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wrap looks good. I too will be going black gloss in the spring when I start back on my cosmetic mods. I actually ran into my vinyl guy this weekend so we chatted about the job. I am still planning on doing the RS grille upgrade and I will buy the one with black trim. Hoping to match them up to the gloss black brake caliper paint I also plan on doing.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I actually purchased the black optics trim but am now considering wrapping. My shop says it's a full days work and very labor intensive. Not sure the benefit outweighs the cost when this is a viable alternative.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tucker74
I actually purchased the black optics trim but am now considering wrapping. My shop says it's a full days work and very labor intensive. Not sure the benefit outweighs the cost when this is a viable alternative.
Its quite a job. The upper trim is riveted in place, so its gotta be drilled out and the new trim has to be riveted on. The lower trim has a couple of screws holding it on, so the door panels have to come off, and if the windows don't lower enough, they may have to come out. The grille is fairly easy, just gotta pull the front bumper cover, but its way pricey, especially for people with the cameras.

Quick Reply: Wrapped my trim