A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

2019 A6 Arrival?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an order for a 2019 A6 prestige back in July and I spoke to my dealer recently and they said it should arrive around the beginning of November!
Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
No, I don't find it odd at all. Audi (and many other higher end brands) will intentionally hold model year change cars, or new cars, until inventory on current model year cars dissipates. They run on a just in time inventory basis.

The cars in the biggest demand, and with the smallest amount of relative inventory right now (of the "not new" models like A8, A7, A6, Q8) are Q7's. As such, those will be the first of the "not new" vehicles to be port released
Sorry, don't mean to be a pain but have been trying to do a little more research and haven't found anything so figured I might as well ask. What is the advantage for Audi in not getting the cars EPA certified and having them held at the dock versus getting them certified and just holding them there themselves? It would seem to me that it would add much more flexibility to their supply line to have the cars ready to go and be able to release them when they are needed rather than relying on a EPA hold to keep them there. This way they can be released at any time and there is no need to possibly wait for the EPA certification. Am I totally missing how that works? Thanks
Old 10-07-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy
Sorry, don't mean to be a pain but have been trying to do a little more research and haven't found anything so figured I might as well ask. What is the advantage for Audi in not getting the cars EPA certified and having them held at the dock versus getting them certified and just holding them there themselves? It would seem to me that it would add much more flexibility to their supply line to have the cars ready to go and be able to release them when they are needed rather than relying on a EPA hold to keep them there. This way they can be released at any time and there is no need to possibly wait for the EPA certification. Am I totally missing how that works? Thanks
port holds are not a one sided situation. Look at any of the ports cars from Europe come through - the sheer volume they handle annually is insane. Audi’s aren’t the only cars coming through, so at a certain point, they are waiting for their turn in line
Old 10-07-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

port holds are not a one sided situation. Look at any of the ports cars from Europe come through - the sheer volume they handle annually is insane. Audi’s aren’t the only cars coming through, so at a certain point, they are waiting for their turn in line
I will have to do a little more research on the process. Didn't realize the EPA certification was tied to the port usage and any backups that may exist there. I was under the impression they submitted cars for testing outside of the normal supply chain just like other products for other gov't agencies. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy
I will have to do a little more research on the process. Didn't realize the EPA certification was tied to the port usage and any backups that may exist there. I was under the impression they submitted cars for testing outside of the normal supply chain just like other products for other gov't agencies. Thanks.
your govt at work lol
Old 10-07-2018, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm waiting to see/test the car before pulling the trigger; my dealer will let me know as soon as they receive a car. I think a 2 or 3-week hold is no big deal. If it goes beyond 1 month, then I'd be a little concerned about something else going on. The 3.0 liter turbo is going into many of the bigger Audis; I have to believe Audi has taken care of things under their control as they know how the process works. If this is not the case, heads should roll.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Port holds happen anytime there is a model year change, regardless if the car is a brand new model or not. Even if the car didn't change, it has to be re-certified by the govt before it can be released from customs

That is a federal govt thing, not an Audi thing. Every single brand sold in the US goes through exactly the same process

The car will absolutely be in before the end of the year

As far as a 19 R8, there is no build guide for it, as it's not slated for production as of yet. That is why it cannot be ordered.

Just like you can't order a 19 TT-RS
I worked in the auto industry for a number of years, so I'm very familiar with European cars coming through port and the process they entail. I still have very good connections within the industry for a variety of brands. You are painting a very generic and positive picture of the process.....the current situation Audi is in anything but that.

Let's be fair and agree that the current process is not normal based on previous years for Audi. Audi is having huge issue in certification for Euro 5 emissions standards on cars with the particulate filter new to the gas engines. That situation appears to have bleed over into the American rollout of 2019 models here. Many dealerships are completely starved of inventory of key-selling models with no 2018s left and no idea when 2019s will be released from the port.

Other manufactures have boatloads of 2019 modes EPA certified and are shipping or have fixed shipping schedules in place to meet their product rollout as planned. Audi does not, as the delays are unplanned with no clear resolution in site. People are being promised new car delivery dates that will not be fulfilled, and dealers are already informing customers of this.

Look at the delay of the A8, now the A6/A7 is up in the air....Q8 is a total unknown. Why do you think virtually no 2019 car appear on the Audi web site, and pricing has been rolled out agonizingly slow. Just because a "demo" shows up doesn't mean customer cars are soon to follow.

Some Audi models will likely skip 2019 availability all together in the US. I can't order a 2018 R8 for myself now, and with a 12+ wait before 2019s are ready basically the R8s in stock or transit are the last to be had for up to an entire year. Audi has serious issues of new product availability, and they are trying to hide the problem. Those in the know understand what's happening here....Audi screwed up royally.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I worked in the auto industry for a number of years, so I'm very familiar with European cars coming through port and the process they entail. I still have very good connections within the industry for a variety of brands. You are painting a very generic and positive picture of the process.....the current situation Audi is in anything but that.

Let's be fair and agree that the current process is not normal based on previous years for Audi. Audi is having huge issue in certification for Euro 5 emissions standards on cars with the particulate filter new to the gas engines. That situation appears to have bleed over into the American rollout of 2019 models here. Many dealerships are completely starved of inventory of key-selling models with no 2018s left and no idea when 2019s will be released from the port.

Other manufactures have boatloads of 2019 modes EPA certified and are shipping or have fixed shipping schedules in place to meet their product rollout as planned. Audi does not, as the delays are unplanned with no clear resolution in site. People are being promised new car delivery dates that will not be fulfilled, and dealers are already informing customers of this.

Look at the delay of the A8, now the A6/A7 is up in the air....Q8 is a total unknown. Why do you think virtually no 2019 car appear on the Audi web site, and pricing has been rolled out agonizingly slow. Just because a "demo" shows up doesn't mean customer cars are soon to follow.

Some Audi models will likely skip 2019 availability all together in the US. I can't order a 2018 R8 for myself now, and with a 12+ wait before 2019s are ready basically the R8s in stock or transit are the last to be had for up to an entire year. Audi has serious issues of new product availability, and they are trying to hide the problem. Those in the know understand what's happening here....Audi screwed up royally.
Maybe that is why the European Delivery Program was canceled this year? I sure hope the 2019 A6's get going. I am seeing YV commercials for the 2019 A6... including Facebook...

Check the following Audi sales figures and the graph at the bottom of the page... maybe its all Europe minus USA? https://audiclubna.org/audi-of-ameri...take-the-lead/

Last edited by Doug2.7; 10-08-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: url bad
Old 10-08-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by farmerjones

You keep saying it's "up in the air", but in reality, it is not. Q8's are at port as we speak, for example.

2019 cars do appear on Audi's site - all of the cars that are new in fact do (A6, A7, A8, Q8, E-Tron) but Audi also controls their inventory flow. 2019 Q7's 3.0's have pricing, and are starting to arrive at port. The rest of the models 1. do not yet have US pricing and 2. have not dimished to sufficient regional/national inventory levels where new ones need to start coming in. I just got more 2018 Q5's, for example, last week, as well as 2018 S4's.

I guess you would have to define "not normal". It's been this way for my recent memory, nothing about it in fact has changed. Vs 10 years ago? Perhaps, but I wasn't in the industry then to know. I know the one Audi I factory ordered back in 2004, arrived within 3 weeks of the projected date I was given. Every other car I've bought from them was either at port, or in someone's inventory and was brought in.

As mentioned, you can't buy a 2019 R8 or order one because it's not even part of the order guide yet. TT's just went to the order guide last month except the T-RS which also is not yet part of the order guide. Everything else has been part of the order guide since the summer. All the truly NEW 2019 models have pricing (A6, A7, A8, Q8). The vehicles that don't have pricing are the ones that have not changed in tems of chassis code vs the 2018 cars (A3, A4, A5, etc).
Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Doug2.7
Maybe that is why the European Delivery Program was canceled this year? I sure hope the 2019 A6's get going. I am seeing YV commercials for the 2019 A6... including Facebook...

Check the following Audi sales figures and the graph at the bottom of the page... maybe its all Europe minus USA? https://audiclubna.org/audi-of-ameri...take-the-lead/
European delivery stopped because not enought people participated in it to make the program worthwhile.

Audi US sales are up in the short and long term. 167,480 sold as of end of September. 4% year over year to 2017, and outpacing the other luxury brands.

Quick Reply: 2019 A6 Arrival?