A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

2019+ A6 (C8) 3.0 turbo tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2019+ A6 (C8) 3.0 turbo tuning

Has anyone tried one of these tuners?

https://www.vividracing.com/abt-power-upgrade-audi-1920-p-152645226.html

https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ecu-tuning-box-kit-audi-tfsi-335bhp-20182020-p-152689852.html

If not one of these, any other options out there?
The following users liked this post:
Stizzle (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the 2.0 but still interested in the topic overall. Never really looked into tuning until recently. Hope you get some good responses.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 939 Likes on 651 Posts

In my educated opinion this is potentially a problem especially for these mild hybrid vehicles that we drive. There are implications to battery longevity and mild hybrid operations so unless one of these tuning companies specifically calls out that they've adjusted for these new 48V systems I wouldn't go near them.
The following users liked this post:
Stizzle (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
In my educated opinion this is potentially a problem especially for these mild hybrid vehicles that we drive. There are implications to battery longevity and mild hybrid operations so unless one of these tuning companies specifically calls out that they've adjusted for these new 48V systems I wouldn't go near them.
Any 48v activity happens at low or zero throttle input during specific eco mode settings mostly related to start stop. Any tuning box performance changes happen during throttle application and acceleration. ABT has been successfully installed on A6 48v cars. I'm not as confident in the vivid house brand solution. Apparently JB4 is available as well.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Any 48v activity happens at low or zero throttle input during specific eco mode settings mostly related to start stop. Any tuning box performance changes happen during throttle application and acceleration. ABT has been successfully installed on A6 48v cars. I'm not as confident in the vivid house brand solution. Apparently JB4 is available as well.
As someone who has looked at exactly how the BSG adds power this is simply not true.

In fact it's almost always engaged at highway speeds.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

As someone who has looked at exactly how the BSG adds power this is simply not true.

In fact it's almost always engaged at highway speeds.
In what drive mode?

I've never seen it activate in Dynamic + Sport

Either way, that's basically the start/stop coast function but for the highway.

A piggy back unit should have zero impact, maybe a poor ECU rewrite could have an impact, but I'm sure tuners will just leave certain tables alone.

Piggy back passes oem signals though until it starts to modify for more boost at a certain threshold.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In what drive mode?

I've never seen it activate in Dynamic + Sport

Either way, that's basically the start/stop coast function but for the highway.

A piggy back unit should have zero impact, maybe a poor ECU rewrite could have an impact, but I'm sure tuners will just leave certain tables alone.

Piggy back passes oem signals though until it starts to modify for more boost at a certain threshold.
In comfort on the highway even at cruise.

All you have to do is use obd11 to monitor the BSG module and the 48V SOC.

The BSG is MOST active at high speeds and rarely active during city operations.

I've written about this already on the A8 forum.

The start stop coast function on long high speed decels NOT exist in N America.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

In comfort on the highway even at cruise.

All you have to do is use obd11 to monitor the BSG module and the 48V SOC.

The BSG is MOST active at high speeds and rarely active during city operations.

I've written about this already on the A8 forum.

The start stop coast function on long high speed decels NOT exist in N America.
link?

Active as far as regenerative harvest? or deploying power to run the car while engine shuts off?

Does that tool let you log throttle% and boost in relation to the 48v system doing things?

Old 02-13-2020, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

link?

Active as far as regenerative harvest? or deploying power to run the car while engine shuts off?

Does that tool let you log throttle% and boost in relation to the 48v system doing things?
There are so many of these that I have started in the D5 forum. Just take a look - I have months of observations spread across literally 4-12 threads on this system alone. Or, just buy OBD11 and take a look yourself and I can help guide you if you want.

No idea about logging throttle % or boost as that was not what I was focused on (turbocharger operations - but I suspect it's log-able). I was focused on the amount of energy the BSG generates (torque wise) and was surprised that even at a steady speed on the highway that it's in operation. The BSG supplements the ICE engine here and there when puttering around in the city but is MOST active on the highway even at cruise, although more so when passing.

It's a strangely odd design and have no idea why it operates this way but the data is what it is. I strongly encourage you to take a look yourself. If you have the tool I can walk you through how to get this data and what module to lookup for live data. The information is very fascinating.

Brake energy recuperation happens when braking at all speeds above a certain km/hr (IIRC 22km/hr), so yes, at highway speeds when decelerating this system is on, and that's not a surprise. What is a surprise is the use of this BSG for ICE even when at cruise on the highway. That's the part that caught me off guard.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's one to start! https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ns-d5-2973388/

Please note this is one of MANY. I just googled quickly through my previous pieces of work and found just one here to offer some help

Quick Reply: 2019+ A6 (C8) 3.0 turbo tuning