A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

2019 a6 panoramic roof noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jnigro7
Just watched the video. That sounds more like a click than a pop, so you might have missing or broken headliner clips.
The mic is pretty sensitive on my phone. Plus it's very quite in the cabin. I turned down the hvac and seat vent to get the clearest recording possible. Sounds like plastic to plastic rub. Again, when body flex introduced it makes this sound. Then sunroof vent is open Sound is gone.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chargercat707
How invasive was the sunroof replacement?
It’s a pretty big job. Headliner down, A,B, and C pillar removed, cut front glass roof above windshield bc glued on, replace entire assembly, pad with sound deadening where creaks are, reseal glass top and windshield, recalibrate all sensors on windshield. There may be a few more steps I’m missing.

All this and no absolute guarantee will be 100% fixed. As you can see, with this big job, I only had the shop foreman do it for me. At end of day, after 2.5 years, the creak noise came back but only when body flexes on inclined driveways. Everything else pretty much whisper quiet (straight roads, bumpy roads, turns, and corners). I’m content, but took a lot of work to get there, as my noise issue was not just the sunroof, but the dashboard and door trims too.

Hope all this helps.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Visit
  • TSB 2054270/4 Performed.
  • Glass tilting roof panel remove & reinstall
  • Sun shade remove & reinstall
  • Sunroof guide repair
​​​​​​​ Second Visit
  • Found TSB 2054270/6 had already been done at a prior visit.
  • Performed a clean and lube on all sunroof seals. Road test, no change.
  • Performed several glass adjustments and 6 miles of road test with no change.
  • Removed sunroof glass, inspected seals, tightened all screws and bolts on sunroof frame and glass. Noise still present.
  • Ordered a sunroof frame.
Third Visit
  • Road test for 1 mile. Found sunroof makes noise over heavy bumps and uneven road surfaces.
  • Removed glass to inspect mechanism. Found driver wind deflector spring missing. Found plastic fatigued, causing spring to come loose. Deflector not holding position.
  • Replaced wind deflector.
  • Removed sunshade and adjusted felt noise isolation.
  • Installed felt strip at front of sunroof where headliner support meets frame.
  • TSB has been updated since previously performed. Installed glass and adjusted per repair manual.
  • Road test for 2 miles. Abnormal noise significantly reduced.
  • Road tested same make/model to compare. Found no abnormal noise from customer vehicle after repairs. Some noise is normal over harsh bumps and uneven surfaces due to stiff body and tight build tolerances from factory.
Fourth Visit
  • Road tested. Found interior noise over bumps and uneven surfaces is normal as compared to same make/model. Popping noise over rough roads that was present before last repair is no longer present.
  • Test drove with additional technician to confirm findings.
  • Test drove same make/model to compare. Vehicle is operating as designed at this time.
Fifth Visit
  • Tech road tested and could not duplicate customer concern at this time.
  • No abnormal noises heard during test drive.
This last time was the sixth time. The service manager took the vehicle for a test drive and acknowledged the noise is still there. Still, he said there is nothing more they can do.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The mic is pretty sensitive on my phone. Plus it's very quite in the cabin. I turned down the hvac and seat vent to get the clearest recording possible. Sounds like plastic to plastic rub. Again, when body flex introduced it makes this sound. Then sunroof vent is open Sound is gone.

Yeah, your noise is pretty bad. In fact worse than mine was. Audi can’t argue with your issue. When a dealership says “nothing more we can do” that means Audi warranty is not going to pay them for anymore work unless TAC says so. So you’ll need to take this up with Audi NA and have it escalated. Send them the video once you get a case number.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jnigro7
Yeah, your noise is pretty bad. In fact worse than mine was. Audi can’t argue with your issue. When a dealership says “nothing more we can do” that means Audi warranty is not going to pay them for anymore work unless TAC says so. So you’ll need to take this up with Audi NA and have it escalated. Send them the video once you get a case number.
Thanks for the feedback. How do I get a case number?
Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jrh710
First Visit
  • TSB 2054270/4 Performed.
  • Glass tilting roof panel remove & reinstall
  • Sun shade remove & reinstall
  • Sunroof guide repair
Second Visit
  • Found TSB 2054270/6 had already been done at a prior visit.
  • Performed a clean and lube on all sunroof seals. Road test, no change.
  • Performed several glass adjustments and 6 miles of road test with no change.
  • Removed sunroof glass, inspected seals, tightened all screws and bolts on sunroof frame and glass. Noise still present.
  • Ordered a sunroof frame.
Third Visit
  • Road test for 1 mile. Found sunroof makes noise over heavy bumps and uneven road surfaces.
  • Removed glass to inspect mechanism. Found driver wind deflector spring missing. Found plastic fatigued, causing spring to come loose. Deflector not holding position.
  • Replaced wind deflector.
  • Removed sunshade and adjusted felt noise isolation.
  • Installed felt strip at front of sunroof where headliner support meets frame.
  • TSB has been updated since previously performed. Installed glass and adjusted per repair manual.
  • Road test for 2 miles. Abnormal noise significantly reduced.
  • Road tested same make/model to compare. Found no abnormal noise from customer vehicle after repairs. Some noise is normal over harsh bumps and uneven surfaces due to stiff body and tight build tolerances from factory.
Fourth Visit
  • Road tested. Found interior noise over bumps and uneven surfaces is normal as compared to same make/model. Popping noise over rough roads that was present before last repair is no longer present.
  • Test drove with additional technician to confirm findings.
  • Test drove same make/model to compare. Vehicle is operating as designed at this time.
Fifth Visit
  • Tech road tested and could not duplicate customer concern at this time.
  • No abnormal noises heard during test drive.
This last time was the sixth time. The service manager took the vehicle for a test drive and acknowledged the noise is still there. Still, he said there is nothing more they can do.
No lemon law applied? How much total time was it in the shop?
Old 06-23-2021, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. How do I get a case number?
Call Audi NA and speak with a customer satisfaction agent. Tell them your situation and they will ask some questions. Tell them you would like to open a case regarding this issue and make sure you have them email you after the call with a case number. Usually this email will have the direct contact info of the person you spoke with. I would suggest making them aware of you’re total downtime for a repeat issue and that you have RO’s and video documentation. I wouldn’t threaten lemon just yet unless you get nowhere in the next week or so. Just hint the downtime and severity of issue. You can PM if you want for more details.
Old 06-28-2024, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the same issue with a 2019 A6 with only 23000k miles.

Originally Posted by Allroading17
Audi's working on a TSB for the new C8 A6s with this noise. If you need help at the dealer, I have some past TAC cases they can reference for a vehicle with the same issue during a PDI.
Hi there,

I have the same issue with a 2019 A6 with only 23000k miles. It started happening today as I was going from a main road into a gas station and the car only slightly flexed. I dove it a couple days ago and did the same getting in and out of my drive way and had nothing like this. Checked the sunroof and everything seems to be tight. However when I gently tab the right side of the headliner by the B piler I can hear a similar clanking and sort of loss metal noise I am not sure. Has anyone here experienced the same and if there are references from dealers for other C8s with this very issue? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.