A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

C8 owners coming from C7.5 - what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C8 owners coming from C7.5 - what are your thoughts?

New C8 others coming from recent year C7 models: I'm curious what your overall impression of the new A6 is so far.

What features/comforts do you like more?

Any specific "main" improvements?

What did you like more on the older A6?

A '19 A6 parked right next to my '18 A6 tonight (even the same color) so I couldn't help but compare and it got wondering how different the new gens feel to drive/own/etc!
Old 08-19-2019, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Experience of coming from one model to another will depend in part on localmarket configurations. I am in the UK and came from a C7.5 2.0 TDi Avant (and from a C7.0 2.0TDi Avant before that) to a C8 2.0 TDi Avant. Overall my view is that the C8 is much improved car over the C7 and C7.5. Biggest improvement in driveability is that when the Stop/Strat system cuts in the mild hybrid system keeps essential functions such as the Power Steering operational. The fuel consumption on my C8 is a good 15%+ better than the C7.5 before it. Internally, I am a fan of the new dash layout (don't have the virtual cockpit) with the touch screen interface. UI don't bother with trying to do handwriting, just use the qwerty keyboard. Downside of the C8 is that some of the software seems a bit buggy. Already had one recall to address issues with the Assist Systems and not all the issues with that seem to have been fixed (on restating after a short stop the car says the Assist systems are not available)
Old 08-24-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the new technology on the 2019, but i found the switch from supercharged to turbo a big letdown. I got a 55 TFSI as a loaner, which i didn’t know at the time as there was no label on the back of the car and honestly i thought i was given a 40 TFSI. I thought it does really well for a 2.0 and i was impressed how they improved on it since previous C7 loaners i got were all 2.0. Once i pulled over and opened the hood and saw it was a V6, i was seriously disappointed. The throttle response appears noticeably sluggish to me. It takes 1-2 seconds for the turbo to spool and then it kind of surges. The engine sound also was not as gratifying to me as compared to the C7. I guess for people coming from other turbocharged cars it would be normal but for someone like me coming from a supercharged A6 It was a big step in the wrong direction. To me the small improvement in gas mileage does not offset the large performance sacrifice. The other thing i didn't like was the open cup holders, so ugly compared to the very elegant cockpit. Why couldn’t we get them covered like in Europe... it looks so much more elegant. I wish they used electric turbos or a larger battery to get the fuel economy but leave the supercharger alone.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

stoian21 is 100% right. The 3.0 turbo is a big step down from the supercharged version. Most of the time, the turbo has excellent power and low-end torque. For a non-sporting driver, it might even be a better engine, as the supercharged was more peaky. But there are so many times, every day, that there is noticeable turbo lag. If you slow down to three mph and then try to accelerate, there is often nothing there. If you’re traveling at highway speed and want power to pass, the time before power is way too long — like two seconds. The supercharged engine would give you a blast of power anytime.

This is evidence that you can’t trust any of the professional reviews. They all deliberately minimized this. To put it more bluntly, they lied. I drive my car in Sport mode most of the time now, and this has to be manually selected each time you start the car. Overall, I recommend the A6 3.0T, but this engine takes much of the sportiness away that made the previous version so great. This engine needs to be retuned.

Also the uncovered cupholders. Definitely an off note.
The following users liked this post:
stoian21 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3.0t issues are disturbing to hear... I would assume the A7 has the same disappointments then? I'm on a 2.0T so the issues describe sound about the same for me, but I'd expect much more from a V6!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightwind_Hawk
The 3.0t issues are disturbing to hear... I would assume the A7 has the same disappointments then? I'm on a 2.0T so the issues describe sound about the same for me, but I'd expect much more from a V6!
Yes the A7 is the same. And yes it is somewhat disappointing considering the supercharged engine was the best engine I've ever driven (and includes my 1968 plymouth v-8 with 380hp!!)

But its not a game breaker - its the same minor turbo lag that is endemic to most turbo engines - actually the same as my 2011 A4. But at least this is a 6, that was a 4. So the V6 makes up for a lot of the lag.

I keep it in sport all the time (which not only improves driving, but automatically shuts off the stupid start/stop as an added bonus). So while I would not automatically buy another one without looking at the alternatives, I am happy for now.
The rest of the car is fantastic, from the seats to the electronics to the quiet (double insulated glass), soft close doors and oversized sunroof. As well as the overall handling. And turbo lag or not, I'm still the first one off at the light - and that's all I really want anyway.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with all those who said the supercharged 3.0 was better. Throttle response of the C7/7.5 is so much better. No lag at all. The new 3.0 turbocharged (in the S4/5 And SQ5 and in the A6/7) is a step in the wrong direction (for a stock car) unless they retune it or something.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Alphatero on this one. I had a 2016 A7 and now a C8 A7. I loved my old one and only wound up w a new one because of the 2016 getting whacked in a hail storm.

Overall I enjoy driving the new one more. The handling is a huge improvement. Feels so much lighter on its feet. I'm not as bothered by the turbo lag as some have posted. It still gets up and moves as Alphatero mentioned. Love the wireless Carplay (my 2016 didn't have Carplay at all). And I think the new lines the C8's have are more aggressive looking. I'm happy.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In spite of how I feel about the turbo vs. supercharged engine, the C8 is an incredibly mature car for a "first year" model. So many aspects of the car have been improved from the C7.5. Even better handling, if that's possible. I got the Individual Contour seating package (with required leather dash and other trim and the warm weather package), and that was well worth it. It's a very solid car and would probably be my first choice again.

There are a number of things that are good or bad or both. For example, the big screens are fingerprint magnets and frequently require your eyes to divert to use them, but they're cool and fun and I don't think I'd want to go back to MMI. I can't stand the B&O Premium 3D Sound System; it has no midrange and there's no equalizer to fix it. Android Auto works great but would be much more convenient if it were wireless. I wouldn't give up the driver safety systems after living with them, but they have activated unnecessarily several times (such as when I was straightening out in a parking space and it slammed on the brakes because it thought I was going to back in front of a car driving down the aisle), and it failed to activate when I was backing out of my garage at a downward angle and there was a grey car parked in my path of travel that I didn't see because my screens were dimmed from the night before. To dim the cockpit and screens takes four button presses that can only be accomplished when stopped; you can't just twist a **** anymore. It takes another four presses to make them bright again. The (manual) cruise control is the best I've ever used.

My overall feeling after six months: as a sport-luxury car, 4.25 out of 5. As a luxury car, 4.5 out of 5.

Last edited by JohnnyDriver; 08-26-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pros: double glass, improved adaptive cruse control behavior, cross traffic warning, better seat ventilation, overall better ride (20" wheels)
cons: turbo charge performance, substantially reduced storage, tiny opening to add washer fluid. Audi connect sim built in., homelink control inconvenient

mixed feeling about touch panel more distracting than old mmi, finger print magnet, but kinda cool.
The following users liked this post:
Homer1946 (07-06-2021)

Quick Reply: C8 owners coming from C7.5 - what are your thoughts?