A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Disappointed in Audi handling of warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disappointed in Audi handling of warranty issue

I know this will seem petty on my part but thought I'd share.

I lease a 2020 A6. This is my first Audi having switched over from BMW. Because of COVID and less driving than I expected, it is currently around 15k miles which is low for me. My lease ends in mid-2023.

I had saved up a few small warranty things. One was the USB outlet in the center console. First time we used it, the little plastic part seemed to snap right in two and just drop off. We tried to insert the cable a couple of times, but it was clear it just snapped. The other ones in the car work fine.

I included this when I took it to the dealer for a routine service. They looked at it in about 20 seconds and said this was "outside influence" and they would not cover it under warranty. When I asked what the outside influence was, they said it was clear that I used the wrong size USB cord and put it in there damaging the pins. They said "it should never break" if I used the right size USB cord.

This just blows my mind. I talked to them about how I've used USB cords for most of my adult life and the only "outside influence" was that we actually tried to use it and the plastic part broke. They told me they could replace the part for about $750. The front line customer service tech would not permit me to talk to the "expert" that decided this on-site.

I phoned and emailed the general manager of my local dealership to discuss how the plastic part seemed weak and how no one could have decided it was user error unless they were in the car. No response to discuss after three tries.

The customer service tech then tells me that he will submit this on appeal to Audi Warranty. It came back denied. I asked to see a copy of the denial and amazingly (given the content) he gave me the entire email. The dealership emailed Audi Warranty at some email address and basically said that "we've told the customer it's not covered under warranty and we'd like your email just saying you agree with us to show the customer." Audi Warranty wrote back agreeing and this customer service tech gives me the entire email. On site I asked to speak to the Service Manager or the General Manager and was told they were unavailable. I leave the General Manager a voice mail and another email. No response.

Next, I decide to write a USPS letter to the President of AUDI USA. I go through the timeline and provide a copy of the email I noted above. In response, the "elevated customer service manager" tells me he receives all letters sent to the President, and that he contacted the dealership and Audi Warranty, and they confirmed they made the correct decision and that would be their final decision.

Again, I know some will say I MUST have caused the damage which of course I don't agree. More, just seriously unimpressed with how the dealership handled this and how Audi handled it. They basically checked with the people that I didn't agree with and when they didn't change their mind, I was told that was the end of it. Audi Corporate apparently doesn't seriously get involved in such matters. I know all car brands have their issues but I'm not sure what I'll do when this lease expires. I never had such an issue with my previous brand.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Wait...what!? My mind exploded at $750 for a USB port.

I'm new to Audi. It's the first car I've owned that I'm beginning to fear. And I drove BMW for 20 years.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The price is definitely high but it's likely because its apart of a larger assembly, I doubt they sell just the USB ports as a standalone replacement
part. If it were me, I would pull the panel and get a picture of the port then order a replacement from digikey. Oh! and yes, a USB cable can break
the internals of the port. They are not all made to the same standards some are tighter than others. Being in the tech field forever, I've seen this
quite often from mass produced PC to component motherboards. You get the right cable and its yanks the internals right out of the port. Its sucks
but we didn't cover it either unless folks had accidental damage coverage.

Last edited by Audi Logic; 11-14-2022 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

How about a photo of the broken part? I don't really understand what you mean by the little plastic part, and what do you mean by drop off? So, you're talking about a USB-C port or the USB type A port?
I haven't even looked in my center console for a while so I can't remember what type of ports are in there.

I do agree the way they handled this per your description is unacceptable. They should have put you in contact with some kind of regional manager, even if their final decision was to deny the claim.

Last edited by whynotme; 11-15-2022 at 06:03 AM.
DadAudi (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

This is what comes to mind based on the description of the issue. As whynotme suggested post a photo.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi Logic
The price is definitely high but it's likely because its apart of a larger assembly, I doubt they sell just the USB ports as a standalone replacement
part. If it were me, I would pull the panel and get a picture of the port then order a replacement from digikey.
Yes, I'd like to see this larger assembly. We can buy a USB hub for $15 and an entire desktop computer for far less than $750.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 939 Likes on 651 Posts

I agree with Audi on this one.
KevinGary (11-15-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there another Audi dealership nearby? I would try to go to another Audi dealer that has better customer service.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

sorry...I fall into the camp that says......a USB port should never break unless;ess someone messes up. Looking at the photo above. looks like a gorilla tried to insert a usb stick sideways.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

There are two issues here: whether it qualifies as a warranty claim, and the demand for $750 to fix a usb port. I can't comment on the first, but the second looks like an issue for the Attorney General. What's next, Audi charging $2000 for an air filter assembly? Break a glove box latch and Audi only sells the dash as an entire unit? Most states have a consumer protection act that applies to unfair or deceptive trade practices, and this crosses the line under the 'unfair' portion of that.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in Audi handling of warranty issue