A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Electric System Failure - very long repair time

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbo78
The same thing happened to me on Saturday. I was stuck at a light on a busy intersection. I had just taken my car in on thursday for 40k service. They didn't see anything wrong with the car. 36 hours later and I had undrivable car. The crazy thing is I called them 2 hours before to tell them about the malfunction warning and they didn't show any concern. I called them a second time when the car warned me to pull over safely. Still no big concern to them. they just scheduled me a appointment for the following week. 15 mins after talking to them the second time my car lost all power. Every warning light imaginable popped up before it stopped. I had to get a rental because the shop was closing when I got it towed there. Was told today they didn't have a loaner for me. I hope they get one soon.
I'm collecting info on those that have experiences this failure. Please provide your date of manufacture as well as the mileage of your 2019 A6/7/8. I'm trying to build a correlation to manufacture date.

My date of manufacture (A7 Prestige, S-Line) is Sept 2018 (09 18) according to the specification sticker on the driver's door (not the door jamb or pillar). The system failed at about 37,500 miles on the odometer. Similar symptoms as yours.

Let me know what your model, trim package, manufacture date and mileage are and we'll have more data points.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Todd Cooper
My generator died on my 2019 A6 Prestige at about 70k miles in January of this year. It took seven weeks to get the generator. $4k+ repair. I was on a long distance trip when it happened - but thankfully it died near an Audi dealership. Symptoms lowered like everyone else had indicated. It started with an electrical system failure and progress to a complete shutdown of the vehicle within 40 miles.
I'm collecting info on those that have experiences this failure. Please provide your date of manufacture as well as the mileage of your 2019 A6/7/8. I'm trying to build a correlation to manufacture date.

My date of manufacture (A7 Prestige, S-Line) is Sept 2018 (09 18) according to the specification sticker on the driver's door (not the door jamb or pillar). The system failed at about 37,500 miles on the odometer. Similar symptoms as yours.

Let me know what your model, trim package, manufacture date and mileage (at time of failure) are and we'll have more data points.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am hoping this is a “year one” problem, as I recently took delivery of my 2022.
Seems to be associated with the 2019 A6/7/8 MHEV 48V alternator, etc. system only.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 924 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmilan
Seems to be associated with the 2019 A6/7/8 MHEV 48V alternator, etc. system only.
I hope you are right
Old 10-02-2022, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know what your model, trim package, manufacture date and mileage are and we'll have more data points.

Thanks.
Same problem and almost 3 weeks without a car. Audi A6 model 4A2B2Y (55 TFSI) Sedan quattro 3.0 V6250 A7S produced 21Jul2018 with 56 000 km or 34 800 mi on odometer. Replacement of 48V alternator with 3rd generation unit 4NO 903 028 P costs me 2400.-EUR. It clearly states that this is production/design failure if there is 3rd generation unit. Normally it should be replaced under warranty conditions but unfortunately warranty for my car was ended. They gave me 10% discount for material and labor costs + now I have 2 year warranty for this replacement. Still I'm really happy with my choice for this A6 petrol modification but this mild-hybrid failure was unnecessary surprise.
The following users liked this post:
ajmilan (10-02-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Satelis
Same problem and almost 3 weeks without a car. Audi A6 model 4A2B2Y (55 TFSI) Sedan quattro 3.0 V6250 A7S produced 21Jul2018 with 56 000 km or 34 800 mi on odometer. Replacement of 48V alternator with 3rd generation unit 4NO 903 028 P costs me 2400.-EUR. It clearly states that this is production/design failure if there is 3rd generation unit. Normally it should be replaced under warranty conditions but unfortunately warranty for my car was ended. They gave me 10% discount for material and labor costs + now I have 2 year warranty for this replacement. Still I'm really happy with my choice for this A6 petrol modification but this mild-hybrid failure was unnecessary surprise.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:08 PM
Gtx
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.
2019 A6 failed as well at 72 K miles. This also happened to my neighbor who I regretfully convinced to buy an A6. I know this generator is on recall and this repair should be done for FREE!!! But so far, I have a $3000+ repair bill to look forward to. I was forced to buy a third car this weekend (Porsche Cayenne) since Audi won't provide a loaner car!!!! I loved this car but AUDI needs to step up to the plate and fix this issue I smell a class action law suit on the horizon!! I have owned Audi cars for 15 years but this experience is not what I expect from a luxury car manufacturer. I'm trading in this car for a Subaru as soon as possible!!
Spock1234 (01-04-2023)
Old 10-23-2022, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtx
2019 A6 failed as well at 72 K miles. This also happened to my neighbor who I regretfully convinced to buy an A6. I know this generator is on recall and this repair should be done for FREE!!! But so far, I have a $3000+ repair bill to look forward to. I was forced to buy a third car this weekend (Porsche Cayenne) since Audi won't provide a loaner car!!!! I loved this car but AUDI needs to step up to the plate and fix this issue I smell a class action law suit on the horizon!! I have owned Audi cars for 15 years but this experience is not what I expect from a luxury car manufacturer. I'm trading in this car for a Subaru as soon as possible!!
To my knowledge no recall exists; however, if you have the information please share! I can’t find any recalls and would love to present to my dealer this coming week.
Thank you in advance.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 939 Likes on 651 Posts

This is a 1st gen 'model' for Audi (as it is for the Q8, a8, etc) wrt the 48V system. If you choose not to buy extended warranty, then that's on you. The warranty coverage hasn't changed for decades. 4 years, 80,000km in Canada, as an example. You took a risk (We all did) with a 1st gen model, and then decided not to buy extended warranty, and now you're blaming Audi? Come on.

There is no recall as others have said, just a TSB.
Spock1234 (01-04-2023)
Old 10-24-2022, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
This is a 1st gen 'model' for Audi (as it is for the Q8, a8, etc) wrt the 48V system. If you choose not to buy extended warranty, then that's on you. The warranty coverage hasn't changed for decades. 4 years, 80,000km in Canada, as an example. You took a risk (We all did) with a 1st gen model, and then decided not to buy extended warranty, and now you're blaming Audi? Come on.

There is no recall as others have said, just a TSB.
I didn't think there was a recall, but decided to ask regardless just in case one recently came out. My dealer couldn't find a TSB, do you mind either sharing or directing me to a link for it, please?
DadAudi (10-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Electric System Failure - very long repair time