A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Garage pilot not available in US

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage pilot not available in US

my salesman told me that garage pilot/park pilot will not be enabled in the US on any of the new mild hybrid models. He blamed it on the lawyers. For me this is a deal breaker, and i’ll Just keep my 2017 A4. Anybody know if this policy is likely to change, especially since Tesla is rolling out new auto pilot features?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt it is due to lawyers/regulations. BMW has had something similar for a few years on the 5 Series. If they can legally/liability wise do it, I'm sure Audi can. My guess is it will show up in the next year or so.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

The Audi AI system won't be available in the USA any time soon. It's not the parking pilot where the lawyers come into play. It's the traffic jam pilot which sits at the core of the new AI. Since the AI won't be in US spec cars, so won't be any features that depend on the AI system. My guess is Audi will leave out the hardware as well to save money until legislation is in place to roll out the traffic jam pilot. Not sure how this is a deal breaker, though. You rather stay outside of your car holding your phone and watching the car slowly park itself? Seems faster to just park it before getting out. I personally don't quite get the feature in its current implementation. Would be a different story if I could get out of my car and go to where I need to go while the car finds a parking spot on its own, w/o me having to stand there and falling asleep while watching it slowly creep into a parking spot.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this a deal breaker, really? I am sure Audi is not giving this feature away for free. Most of the homes have attached garage so I am not sure who would want to come out and watch their car pull up the driveway. I would rather have remote start and that could be considered a deal breaker.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
Is this a deal breaker, really? I am sure Audi is not giving this feature away for free. Most of the homes have attached garage so I am not sure who would want to come out and watch their car pull up the driveway. I would rather have remote start and that could be considered a deal breaker.
Pretty much my thoughts above. I never quite got even the basic automated parking features that parallel park while you are sitting in the car and operating throttle/brake. It just looks so cumbersome and ceremonial, follow the instructions and then let it steer into the spot for you. I guess if one is really bad at parallel parking then perhaps this is a good feature for them, but maybe a better idea is to learn to park properly. Automatic parking in one's garage, that one I don't think I get at all. Why would I wanna get out of my car, especially if its cold and raining and then guide my car into the garage while standing outside. I just pull in straight in the garage and get out in the dry. Same for getting back in. I suppose if one has so much crap in their garage that there isn't enough room to open the door, then maybe, but perhaps cleaning out the garage is easier, no? I believe Teslas can drive themselves out of the garage unattended and pull up on the curb outside your house within limits, but not sure if this feature is active in the USA. All you have to do is command it from inside the house and then the car is waiting when you come outside. Makes some sense if you have a detached garage that's a bit away from the house.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-03-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I watched a 2018 X3 trying to automatically park in a perpendicular spot and it was painfully slow to watch it do a pretty poor job. First, it was hit-and-miss at trying to identify a candidate spot, it crawled into the spot, and ended up practically on top of one of the lines. We ended up pulling out and manually backing in again to straighten out. I have so much stuff in my garage that I really need to know what's where and what I'm likely to hit (or not) to do a good job. I think the car would have trouble if it only relied on sensor input, and I'm always worried that I haven't pulled in far enough for the back bumper to clear the garage door. I had the garage door carve a channel in the bumper of my last car when I cut it too close, and I feel better about having it under my control.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

As noted, the hardware is in the US version of the A6. I think we will eventually see self parking which is a cool feature. My dealer says You will be able to start the car and warm up through your cell phone in the 2019 A6. Download the "myaudi" app to do that.