A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

System Locked Me Out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Locked Me Out!

Yesterday I parked and locked the the car. I came back two minutes later and the door handle wouldn't unlock the car!. I tried other handles and no lock. I pulled the key fob out and tried that and still no luck. I tried opening the trunk with the foot trick and that didn't work. I waited a few seconds and tried again, still the car was totally unresponsive.

I'm now locked out of my car with the key fob in my hand!

So I started to all Audi roadside assist and while I'm working through their voice prompts I tried the key fob again and it worked. The rep finally came on the line and I asked what I should do in that situation and he didn't know.

Anyone else have this happen to them? Not a good thing to happen on a $70k car!

PS. I then took the time to read and actually try out the procedure for unlocking your car with the mechanical key. If you have actually done this you should. And Audi really needs to make this owners manual available in PDF format for download to your phone so you can consult it in situations like this. Not sure what they think is so valuable about an owners manual that they need to protect this much and that they are willing to **** of customers this much.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 939 Likes on 651 Posts

1) I have no idea why specifically this happened, but wanted to make a few comments.
2) Did you try using the myAudi app to unlock your car?
3) You can download the PDF of your manual, I believe. I know I sourced my manual via PDF and have it saved in the cloud. (Googled it), but even without it, I can grab an online manual by logging into the myAudi website.
4) My owners manual, a hard copy of it, is in my car, although in your specific case this wouldn't have helped.
5) Opening the door via the mechanical key method is something all should familiarize yourself with. It's tricky on my car, and I suspect it's the same on the C8.
The following users liked this post:
chicagoA6 (07-28-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
1) I have no idea why specifically this happened, but wanted to make a few comments.
2) Did you try using the myAudi app to unlock your car?
3) You can download the PDF of your manual, I believe. I know I sourced my manual via PDF and have it saved in the cloud. (Googled it), but even without it, I can grab an online manual by logging into the myAudi website.
4) My owners manual, a hard copy of it, is in my car, although in your specific case this wouldn't have helped.
5) Opening the door via the mechanical key method is something all should familiarize yourself with. It's tricky on my car, and I suspect it's the same on the C8.
I really wish we could get a PDF of the manual. Would you tell us where you got it? All I can ever get is a hosted version that has to be looked up every time.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 939 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by davedavez
I really wish we could get a PDF of the manual. Would you tell us where you got it? All I can ever get is a hosted version that has to be looked up every time.
I'm sorry but the manual I downloaded as a pdf was linked by a fellow aw member on the D5 forum for the D5 car.

I don't know where to get it for the A6.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I deleted the app. I set-up a speed alert profile and it gave me notifications even after I set it not to. It kept turning back on. Then I deleted teh entire profile. It put it back and kept giving me notifications, so I ended up deleting it.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This has happened to me once. I had what was essentially a dead car after I tried to get back in within a minute or so after I had locked it. Neither the door handles nor the key fob buttons did anything. Then it seemed to reset itself after two more minutes.

I had forgotten about the mechanical key - thanks for the reminder!

You are 100% right about the lack of PDF owner's manual.

Last edited by JohnnyDriver; 07-30-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, the mechanical key is hidden inside the key fob and the key hole is hidden behind the snap off cover on the door handle!

If others have this problem please report it here with as much detail as you can: how did you lock the car (touch exterior of the door handle, fob , switch), how long before you tried to open it, how long did it take to respond.

By posting this at least other will know that if they wait about two minutes it will open ----- hopefully!

I suspect a software bug that causes the system to crash and completely re-boot hence the two minutes. I estimate this car has between 200 to 250 million lines of code. There are bound to some bugs. I just hope Audi has the right mindset: they need to provide free software updates and quickly!

Last edited by roboman2019; 07-31-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Audi do provide software updates as and when they are released, for free and checking availabilty of updates is part of the service process. My car has already had one update to resolve issues with the driver assist systems.

With regard to the returning profile. Did you fully delete it from the car? Just deleting it from the App will not necessarily remove it from the car. If you did that then did you try a full factory reset of the car systems to ensuire there was nothing left over. I suspect the issue may have been down to you using the same email address for both profiles and the car being confused when you logged into myAudi as to which profile you wanted. It is assuming each profile is a different person and hence a unique email address and myaudi account
Old 08-04-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi John,
The profile in the car is separate from the speed alert profile in the app.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

You clearly get a different app in the USA then, as in Europe there is no Speed Alert setting in the MyAudi app

Quick Reply: System Locked Me Out!