A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

UK: Audi A6 45 TFSI Quattro Judder

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UK: Audi A6 45 TFSI Quattro Judder

Morning!

I purchased an Audi A6 45 TFSI Quattro in November (69 plate) from an Audi dealer, when I test drove it there were no problems. However when the sales guy took it for some fuel he noticed a rumble and took it back to the workshop. The technicians said that it was the new tyres bedding in. Knowing nothing about the mechanics of cars I just accepted it. Having got it home the rumble/judder was quite pronounced so spoke to the dealer and this time they said it was a feature of the quattros, the quattro push/rumble. So again I accepted it. Not having much faith in main dealers I also spoke to my local garage about it and they said it was a known thing.

In March I put two new rear tyres on, and I don't know if it is connected or not but since then the noise has been horrific, and it is now just unpleasant to drive. On acceleration there is a judder from the back as if the tyres are dragging, and this happens as slow speeds. Once up to speed on a motorway for example it is fine, but I am not confident to pull out at a junction due to the feeling of not getting traction. Going uphill and round bends it's particularly bad.

It is under warranty so it is booked into the Audi garage but what I am worried about is what story I'm going to get next. I took it to my local garage and we went out for a drive, he pretty much said don't drive it, that's the diff. So I got it recovered to the Audi garage, the recovery mechanic didn't drive it but seemed to think that the rear wheels had flat spotted and it wasn't the diff. When I asked how they could possibly flat spot (it's an Auto) he wasn't sure. Anyone else had this issue and any advice? I'm going round the bend with the amount of different opinions!
Old 06-05-2024, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 177 Posts

Daft thought, but are the tyre unidirectional and if is have they been mounted correctly
Old 06-05-2024, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

Yes I double checked this when it started getting really bad! The tyres are definitely fitted correctly but thank you for the suggestion
Old 06-09-2024, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the quattro rumble. Had the rear diff and transfer case oil replaced. It took about 60 miles, but it is gone.
As for the noise getting worse are the tires all the same size with the same tread wear? That could be why the noise got worse.
Old 06-12-2024, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nightrider007
I had the quattro rumble. Had the rear diff and transfer case oil replaced. It took about 60 miles, but it is gone.
As for the noise getting worse are the tires all the same size with the same tread wear? That could be why the noise got worse.
Thank you very much! That's exactly what it was! Luckily still under warranty and had 3 cycles of ATF...sounds like I know what I am talking about but that's all the garage would tell me! 🤣 Now back to amazing performance and no rumbles or judders at all.
The following users liked this post:
Nightrider007 (06-13-2024)