A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

00 2.7T Mods - Need recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 AM
I5
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 2.7T Mods - Need recommendations

My turbos are starting to go on my '00 A6, so planning on doing the upgrade to the K04's, figured I'd do the RS4 clutch, a stainless exhaust, and chip.

What chipset and exhaust do you guys recommend with these sort of mods, and what HP gain am I looking at?
Also is there a better flow air intake system?(K&N?) The OEM one seems kind of restrictive.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Why do I doubt that your "turbos are starting to go"?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbo's dont really start to go, they usually howl then go, also-->

Originally Posted by I5
My turbos are starting to go on my '00 A6, so planning on doing the upgrade to the K04's, figured I'd do the RS4 clutch, a stainless exhaust, and chip.

What chipset and exhaust do you guys recommend with these sort of mods, and what HP gain am I looking at?
Also is there a better flow air intake system?(K&N?) The OEM one seems kind of restrictive.

Thanks
I can say that if you go KO4's, you would want the stage 3 fueling to maximize your power.

I would recommend buying an OTS fueling kit (possibly a used one from someone upgrading)
I don't recommend any expensive stainless exhaust. Stainless looks pretty, but too much money wasted underneath your car.
I do recommend downpipes (or piggies at least), and at least an RS4 clutch kit.
The HP/TQ for all the kits vary, STFA and find one you like and can afford.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in the same boat as you. My turbos blew last month and I'm in the process of removing the engine right now. I'm trying to take a cheaper route with mine and start with a kit like this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...item3efad034b1

I hope the aftermarket turbos are decent quality and the inlet pipes will actually work. I want to install the turbos first and see how my HP gains are then do an ECU flash and see if I like the HP gains.

You'll need a fuel system to maximize the HP gains also. Exhuasts are pretty pricy and you really need a downpipe to maximize gains. Also if you're looking to maximize hp you should get a larger MAF and y-pipe and intake hoses.

APr has a whole k04 kit with upgraded everything for a little over 7k and makes 447hp and 467 ft-lbs of torque. Thats nice and all but with our cars being worth about $5000-7000 i can't imagine spending another $7000 to upgrade although it would be nice.

You should post your budget and approximate costs of your upgrades and current mileage/ how many more miles you expect to have this car. this way we can help you pickout a plan that will maximize your HP and minimize the impact on your wallet.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I5
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by justinm0424
I'm in the same boat as you. My turbos blew last month and I'm in the process of removing the engine right now. I'm trying to take a cheaper route with mine and start with a kit like this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...item3efad034b1

I hope the aftermarket turbos are decent quality and the inlet pipes will actually work. I want to install the turbos first and see how my HP gains are then do an ECU flash and see if I like the HP gains.

You'll need a fuel system to maximize the HP gains also. Exhuasts are pretty pricy and you really need a downpipe to maximize gains. Also if you're looking to maximize hp you should get a larger MAF and y-pipe and intake hoses.

APr has a whole k04 kit with upgraded everything for a little over 7k and makes 447hp and 467 ft-lbs of torque. Thats nice and all but with our cars being worth about $5000-7000 i can't imagine spending another $7000 to upgrade although it would be nice.

You should post your budget and approximate costs of your upgrades and current mileage/ how many more miles you expect to have this car. this way we can help you pickout a plan that will maximize your HP and minimize the impact on your wallet.
Justin
thanks for the input.
well my budget is probably around 6k give or take depending on output vs $.
the car is old and has high mileage so don't wanna go to crazy.
my options are keeping the A6 mod it and buy a 308gtsi or trade the A6 in for an S5.
I am leaning towards option 1 as I can get close in HP of the S5 with the mods and have the 308 for less money than a new S5.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you can do the work yourself which involves removing the engine/tranny you should buy an ebay k04 and piece together the apr kit with fuel and exhaust. that should run you about 6k. If it were me i'd get the S5 hands down. I've wanted that car ever since I've seen it but i'm dedicating myself to be debtfree forever and it'll take a while to save up for one. I'm planning on my a6 to last me about 3 years or 30,000 miles. I bought a Yamaha R6 for summer riding and I have a Dodge Ram for hauling and everything so I'm planning on the A6 for winter, roadtrips and rainy days. Then hopefully have the funds to upgrade to 2004+ A8l or an S5.

Please keep us updated on your plans and I plan on getting the ebay turbo kit around xmas once I finish pulling the engine. I'll let you know how they turn out
Old 12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I5
Audiworld Junior Member

will do the A6 is paid for and my tax return will cover the mods. So we'll see............
Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Why do I doubt that your "turbos are starting to go"?
I thought turbos were kind of an all or nothing thing. They were either fine or they were blown. Of course, it may be wishful thinking. If I had the money, I'd want an excuse to do the full upgrade, as well.