A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

'01 A6 2.8 Quattro Wierd no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 A6 2.8 Quattro Wierd no start

Went to NTB for tire rotate and after a while observed confused employee pop the hood with a screwdriver in hand. I asked the manager what the hell he was doing and he told me it was the 96 point inspection. I told him I didn't want that so he went back to tell the guy not to and came back to tell me my car wouldn't start. So I went back there and the car would turn over but no fire. I asked him to put a scan tool on it which found nothing wrong except he couldn't access the security system. After dicking around for a while, the car started right up. Has started several times since. Never had a problem before.

What could have caused that?

Thanks
Steve
Old 03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Crank with no start is what the immobilizer does if it doesn't recognize the key, but it usually will start and run for several minutes first. Did you notice if the immobilizer light on the dash (little car with a key in it) stayed on or was flashing? That would indicate that the immobilizer was triggered.
Not sure what he meant by the "security system" - the immobilizer is actually part of the instrument cluster. I'd try to find someone with a VAG-COM and see what codes are in the system (unless they cleared them all). Even momentary ones are stored. If you get them, post them here and we'll see if we can help figure it out.
Kinda sounds like they disconnected or triggered something without realizing it, and then fixed it again so it started. You should try to figure out what it was, though, in case it's something loose that may happen again...
Jim
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

You are scanning the wrong control units. Did you check the central locking and alarm systems?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default update

I talked to the local Audi dealer. Clueless. Then I talked to an independent VW & Audi guy in MN who is highly regarded. I explained what happened. He told me that the guy probably reached through the open driver's window to fiddle with something while the doors were locked resulting in the crank but no fire situation. He said locking and unlocking the doors with the remote would reset it Check, check, check, and check.

Learn something every day!

Have a nice day
Steve
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by steveinky
He said locking and unlocking the doors with the remote would reset it Check, check, check, and check.

Learn something every day!

Have a nice day
Steve
Hence my suggestion to scan the central locking and alarm control units.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, it happened again. The first time was a few weeks ago at the tire place and I didn't have a chance to look at it as the attendants fumbled around. It has started fine every time since, until yesterday. I had driven maybe 120 miles and stopped by walmart. When I came out, it would crank but not start. I paid attention to the instruments and the key light went off so it wasn't the auto immobilizer. The EPC light was on but everything else went out. I pulled all the fuses that sounded important like fuel pump and several timing fuses and re-installed them. They all looked good. Then the car started right up normally. Back when it wouldn't start at the tire place, they put it on the scanner and all checked well.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Guru

Back when it wouldn't start at the tire place, they put it on the scanner and all checked well.

Any ideas?
Am I the only one who can see my posts?

Maybe the third time will be the charm:

You need to scan the central locking control module for codes and use measuring blocks to check the operation of the alarm system and the various trigger switches. The generic scanners are not getting this done. Scanning the ECU is a waste of time if the alarm is preventing the car from starting.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I see your posts. How do I know the central locking module is an issue? The little light that looks like a key went right out even when it wouldn't start. My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that the little key shaped warning light will stay on and flash if the security system is preventing the car from starting.

What type of scanner do I need to use and who has them? What are these "measuring blocks?" I appreciate your help with this issue. I have little Audi experience.

Thanks
Steve
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Tech Guru

My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that the little key shaped warning light will stay on and flash if the security system is preventing the car from starting.

What type of scanner do I need to use and who has them? What are these "measuring blocks?" I appreciate your help with this issue. I have little Audi experience.

Thanks
Steve
Don't confuse the alarm system with the immobilizer. They are different things.

You need VAG-COM to connect to central locking. Measuring blocks will show you the operation of each switch and button from the control unit's point of view.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Immobilizer will cause a crank, start, then die with flashing key light. Alarm with cause no crank, and trigger the alarm. If yours is not triggering the alarm, i dont think it has to do with the alarm system. Ignition switch, bad starter, poor connections, park neutral safety switch can all cause such things.

Quick Reply: '01 A6 2.8 Quattro Wierd no start