A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

03 A6 2.7t Loss of Acceleration, Car shaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 A6 2.7t Loss of Acceleration, Car shaking

Just got home. On way back engine light came on then started flashing. When hitting the gas car would shake as well as the stick. Kinda seemed it was going to stall but never did. It would work for a second then go back to shaking like I was off-roading on an old gravel road with a pothole every foot.

Yesterday the cooling alarm went off. I was going out to pick up
some G12 to top it off so not sure if the two are related. Tank is about 1/2 inch below coolant line. Alarm went off for a second then stopped. It was 0 degrees outside yesterday.

Only thing I can think of is Fuel pump, Fuel filter or transmission?

Could barely get it to go 25mph. Didn't want to push it. Know the engine uses coils. Would think it was a spark plug and the engine was misfiring but the shaking was pretty bad. Not constant, if I put in the clutch the car was fine. Only problem was with acceleration. Coasted most of the way home.

Any Ideas?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just put on Raxles 4 months ago. Not sure if it related or not.
Been reading other posts to try and find out what the cause is.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DigitalStone
Just got home. On way back engine light came on then started flashing. When hitting the gas car would shake as well as the stick. Kinda seemed it was going to stall but never did. It would work for a second then go back to shaking like I was off-roading on an old gravel road with a pothole every foot.

Yesterday the cooling alarm went off. I was going out to pick up
some G12 to top it off so not sure if the two are related. Tank is about 1/2 inch below coolant line. Alarm went off for a second then stopped. It was 0 degrees outside yesterday.

Only thing I can think of is Fuel pump, Fuel filter or transmission?

Could barely get it to go 25mph. Didn't want to push it. Know the engine uses coils. Would think it was a spark plug and the engine was misfiring but the shaking was pretty bad. Not constant, if I put in the clutch the car was fine. Only problem was with acceleration. Coasted most of the way home.

Any Ideas?
flashing check engine usually means misfire. probably coilpacks or plugs
Old 01-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

also if you have a check engine we can narrow the hunt down if you get it scanned and report the codes. go to autozone they do free MIL checks
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7taudi
also if you have a check engine we can narrow the hunt down if you get it scanned and report the codes. go to autozone they do free MIL checks

Been meaning to order a cable to hook the car up myself.

Nearest autozone is 20 min away at 60mph. Bit afraid to drive it. Never seen anything like this before and I drove a POS honda that I had to patch/repair on a regular basis.
Hoping its something simple.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with 2.7Audi - this is most likely a coil pack or spark plug issue. It sounds a lot like a misfire, and you won't be able to get any coil packs at Autozone.

Scanning could give you some clues to diagnose the problem. If you know which cylinder is misfiring, you can swap the coil packs with that cylinder and another and see if the misfire moves. You're just guessing at parts without a scanner though...
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, driving with a flashing CEL can damage your catalytic converter. The misfires can send unspent fuel into your cat, which can melt the internal media....have a friend drive you to buy at least a $30 scanner.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DigitalStone
Been meaning to order a cable to hook the car up myself.

Nearest autozone is 20 min away at 60mph. Bit afraid to drive it. Never seen anything like this before and I drove a POS honda that I had to patch/repair on a regular basis.
Hoping its something simple.
buying a cable is the best investment i have done. only 10 dollars on ebay and free cables. paid for itself in one use.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2.7taudi
flashing check engine usually means misfire. probably coilpacks or plugs
flashing CEL under-load ALWAYS means misfire.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
flashing CEL under-load ALWAYS means misfire.
Well I'm at 107 thousand and not sure when they were changed last. Not to go off topic but what is a good brand/price
for the 2.7?

Like to fix it this weekend if thats the case.

Engine ran smooth when I put in the clutch so wasn't sure about the coils.

Quick Reply: 03 A6 2.7t Loss of Acceleration, Car shaking