A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1 huge "bump" + 1 car =

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ram@S4-MTM
holy crap!

if you get any money out of the state consider yourself lucky! I know one of the worst offenders (mass) has specific language on the books that relieves them of any liability.

That being said these guys are really great and should be able to get them straight again.
http://www.rimpro.com/index.html
Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know how they can still call that a public thoroughfare. They ought to show a gap on the map so nobody tries to traverse it without some serious ground clearance and suspension travel. Did you do any damage underneath? Based on your damage, I suggest from experience that you check your motor mounts and control arms, though you hopefully weren't on the brake when you hit the crack like I was for my offroading experience. I've got a good set of Piaa wheels and Yokohama tires I'll let go if you're interested, though you'll probably have to run spacers since you're not an Allroad. Good luck though; I'm sure the states have a reciprocity agreement ensuring that neither state takes responsibility for it.

Edit: Somehow I read state line. Disregard the reciprocity comment.

Also, if your suspension compressed enough, I'd check your spindles for straightness too. One of mine compressed pretty significantly - steering arm clearance above the tire was reduced from ~40mm to about 10mm.

Last edited by Redneck Truck; 08-11-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

With Mass it depends on the situation and the road I believe. I know I have had friends bend rims on potholes and you would submit the reciepts to the town/city and they reimbursed you. Though it depended on if the hole was marked or not. Seems to me in your case, they did a **** poor job of marking it and you should be entitled to some recompense. Go talk to the town clerk and perhaps the police, either of those may give you an idea of what you are entitled to.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by rs4-380
holy crap!

if you get any money out of the state consider yourself lucky! I know one of the worst offenders (mass) has specific language on the books that relieves them of any liability.

That being said these guys are really great and should be able to get them straight again.
http://www.rimpro.com/index.html
Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I was under there last night, replaced a couple of control arms, not bent. Everything lines up fine, car tracks perfectly. I think the wheels took the worst of it.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow is right. Make sure you document, document, document. It also looks like they quickly repaired it so if you didn't get a picture of the unmarked/poorly marked hole....

Similar happened to me on the PA turnpike at 80mph...wham...left front wheel bent, tire blown, ended up on right shoulder safely behind another car who had gone 200 meters further before his tire went flat. PA Turnpike denied all liability and put me onto the contractor for that section of highway who also denied liability. Too much trouble to go to small claims court 5 hours away from home.

But you live in MA so you might want to talk to your legislature or councilperson about the specific laws involved, send pics, etc.

Sure glad I decided not to drive to Boston...flying and taking train back home from there.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Sure glad I decided not to drive to Boston...flying and taking train back home from there.
Heh you should be, last week Rt 93 (a major route out of Boston to the north) had huge, as in car sized, potholes opening up on it and it forced multiple lanes shut down for several days. UGLY!

Glad I drive normally on lesser travelled roads in MA to and from RI.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Head Cat Herder

I actually live in Vermont.. This wasn't contracted out, it was the state road crew.. They acknowledged the problem. The photo doesn't do it justice, the hole was really freaking deep. I've got a state trooper and a local cop , not to mention the foreman for the crew that came to fix the road while I was waiting for my co-worker and his spare tire, as potential witnesses too.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG that sucks Kris! Good thing you had access to that 2nd spare. So, what is on the driver for a head cover??? Sock puppet???
Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost looks like you are rockin' the steelies. Sorry to see the damage.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Head Cat Herder

Yeah, I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of my co-worker's car.. =) I stuffed my glove on the driver head.. =)

Quick Reply: 1 huge "bump" + 1 car =