A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1998 A6 2.8L leaking/pouring transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 A6 2.8L leaking/pouring transmission fluid

1998 A6 2.8L TIP with 148k miles. The tranny was fine until a couple months ago when once of a sudden while driving (D) the tranny acted as if it was in (N), no power and it kept reving free. After pulling over i noticed it started to leak wait more like pour transmission fluid. The car was towed back and sat until a few days ago when i looked at it again and took it for a spin around the block. The tranny shifts/drives OK for the first 10 min while its cold, but after 10 min or so it starts pouring tranny fluid again. Obviously when it starts leaking the tranny starts acting up, the car barely moves and its jerky. The leak is at the opening in the bottom of the bell housing/torque converter area. The 3 codes I got are:

00652 - Gear Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

17101 - Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182): No Signal
P0717 - 35-10 - Intermittent

18152 - Tiptronic Switch Recognition Circ. Short to Ground
P1744 - 35-10 - Intermittent

Obviously the tranny needs to come out but any ideas of what it could be or what should I look for? I don't want to replace the tranny if its just the TQ thats bad but how can i check?

Also does anyone know of any DIY for removing the auto tranny on the C5 A6? Thanks.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dan4g63

Also does anyone know of any DIY for removing the auto tranny on the C5
Just a quick word of caution: dropping the tranny might be DIY-able but it could also be one of those that is best left to experts. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just in light of recent discussions on here, be wary of "can/able to" vs. "should I?" do this myself.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bettyinlove
maybe you could find the right answer here www.vogmall.com
Spam. Don't waste your time.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've pulled the tranny from my S4 plus many other cars in the past so im not afraid of the work, its just this will be my first auto tranny and quite frankly I'm don't know much about them. I guess i could just pull it and replace both the tranny and torque converter but I'm trying to save some money if possible.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hold on! Stop! It doesn't look like transmission fluid. No way! It looks like coolant. R U sure it's from your tranny???
Have you ever change your fluid? Because if don't, I can guarantee it's not tranny fluid. It sould be almost black.
It is most likely the coolant is leaning on some tranny connector and messing up with its computer or something is heating up.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm 10,000% its tranny fluid, Ive changed enough tranny fluid and coolant to be able to tell the difference. The reason it looks so clean is because the tranny was pulled a month ago to replace the input shaft seal which was thought to be the culprit but after it was put back together its still leaking. I was too busy at the time so the car was taken to a mechanic, i will not do the same mistake again.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, this explains. I've put some new Pentosin ATF fluid on my tranny and it is golden clean as new engine oil, not pinky.
Anyway, you are leaking real bad.
Have a good look at Bentley before disassemble it. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yea he screwed up a bunch of things among them putting in the wrong fluid and somehow managed to mess up the tiptronic gear selector, all the selections are off, but my main concern is fixing the leak. i know i will have to drop the tranny again i was just hoping someone had a similar problem and they managed to fix it. Worse case scenario ill replace both the tranny and torque converter but researching some posts on vwvortex leads me to believe it might be just the torque converter or the bushing it spins on that's at fault.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dan4g63
yea he screwed up a bunch of things among them putting in the wrong fluid and somehow managed to mess up the tiptronic gear selector, all the selections are off, but my main concern is fixing the leak. i know i will have to drop the tranny again i was just hoping someone had a similar problem and they managed to fix it. Worse case scenario ill replace both the tranny and torque converter but researching some posts on vwvortex leads me to believe it might be just the torque converter or the bushing it spins on that's at fault.
Ouch! That hurts. I was hoping there is some pinky ATF brand around there. I didn't even dare to mention is it the wrong fluid.
But after that and those odd DTCs, you can expect anything.
I wish you realy good luck on this. Maybe you will realy have do disassemble it all and have a good look before more damage is done.

Last edited by fmstocco; 12-26-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not sure what he put in, i forget but there are other alternatives to using the OEM Pentosin ATF. Some have used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF which is red i believe but at around $8/quart (i think) i will pay another $4 or so and go with the OEM.
Others use valvoline mercon V which is what Ive used in at least 3-4 A4s. At under $5 a quart its less then half the price of OEM and seems to do the job so far. Its also red.

Here is more info:
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/atfchange/

Quick Reply: 1998 A6 2.8L leaking/pouring transmission fluid