A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

1999 A6 2.8 starts then stalls

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same exact thing! I mean exact. car ran great for months and I let it sit for a while ( not a daily driver) and went to drive it and it acted like it was in limp mode. Starts but won't idle, give it the gas pedal and it will keep running but like crap. take it for a drive and it konks out immediately. I did the timing belt last year - replaced maf, gas filter, temp sensors, plugs, wires, belts, vicous fan, coil pack u name it. Ran friggen great until this last episode.
Same , same....has gas and won't hook up to any scanner so I'm friggen stumped!!!!!
Any chance could be the fuel pumps? don't really hear any typical whining sound they make when going though.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the "beep" should be accompanied by a light on the dash
Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok theking , I went out and tried a few things without any success. put in the old maf and it wouldn't even start so that's out. checked for spark on all 6 cylinders and they all seem fine so the coil pack being NG is out. replaced all the vac lines, no difference. disconnected the fuel pressure relay and inspected and seems ok . it idles a little better with the vac line not connected to it so what does that tell us? tried to drive it without vac line attached and only goes 20 mile an hour. pulled the tranny computer out from under the passenger rug and found it sitting in a puddle of water. carpet soaked like you couldn't believe so now i'm thinking that's fried from the spring rain storms. But would a fried computer make the car not idle and sputter? I would think it would only put it in limp mode, which it now seems to be in, but would still idle? theking have you looked under the carpet on passenger side to see if it's wet? unfortunately u have to cut a vertical slice about a foot long into the middle of the carpet under the floor mat. let me know.
other possible thoughts are: timing belt slipped a notch, stuck valve open from sitting.
**plugs are also sooted bad with carbon build-up, have u checked yours?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I spoke with a guy form Audi today, apparently there is some sort of line connected to the A/C that will leak if "something" is clogged, well it leaks under the dash into the passenger footwell. This is a common problem with these.

I will pull my carpet this evening, in hopes of finding water. According to the Audi guy, unlike my Honda which has one computer that controls the engine AND tranny, in most german vehicles, they are separate. If for any reason the tranny computer has a short, or malfunctions in any way, there is a high possibly it will cause the engine computer to screw up, or give the "unable to make connection" message.

Sooo im hoping this is the issue. And I've pretty much replaced everything else, the whole ignition system is new, including the plugs.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
the "beep" should be accompanied by a light on the dash
ummm haha, yes, lots of lights, a whole xmas tree of them.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

The 'line' is a condensate drain tube that is connected to the ac evaporator housing. The drain can get plugged with decayed leaf matter, for example, and then the evaporator housing cannot drain and spills over when the water gets high enough. It generally spills over onto the front carpets, and can then filter back to the TCM.

This is not a common problem, but it is not rare either. It ranks up there with clogged sunroof drains that occur when people park their cars under trees with the sunroof open/cracked or otherwise fail to exercise common sense and clean the leaves out from under the hood/plenum. Including the areas under the rear trunk lid...one of my friends at a funeral popped his trunk for some reason and I noticed five pounds of pine needles and leaves under the trunk lid between the seal and the outside....I told him to clean them out or the constant wet leaves and needles would eventually rust a hole into his car if not cause other problems...
Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

Should have left it with them.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Should have left it with them.
Ok, thanks for the info about the whole water thing. So is there a way to prevent this? Clean it?

And.. "Should have left it with them"...
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found a loose windshield seal around the top of the passenger side. The tools who did the new windshield must not have sealed it all the way last summer. Being the extra car it sits in the drive under trees. We had 4 days of heavy rain a few weeks ago so that has to be it. I did not drive the car at all in the last six months so therefore the A/C was not on. Although this could have been going on forever.
***So to clarify for the "audi" guys here "would a fried TCM cause the car not to idle and run rough? Yes I realize it has a separate main computer in the engine bay as I've had this A6 forever and have practically rebuild the whole friggen thing.
Timing, water pump, new valve head etc etc......
Theking it's not that big of a deal to cut your carpet to see if you have water and pull out the TCM and it's plastic case. Just cut a vertical line about a foot long in the carpet. About right in the middle of the passenger floor under the mat. It's thick and has a heavy sponge layer under the carpet so you have to go pretty deep ( about an inch) . Pull out the plastic case and see if you have water in and around the carpet under and towards the front where the wire harness clips in.......your car guy is going to have to do the same thing so just do it yourself and you'll know.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is it really necessary to "Cut" the carpet, versus just pulling it up from one of the edges...

Quick Reply: 1999 A6 2.8 starts then stalls