A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7T To 2.0T Coil Pack Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7T To 2.0T Coil Pack Conversion Kit

I found this on the ECS website. I was wondering if the 2.7t are known for having coil pack and ICM's issues. I did a search and didn't come up with anything. But i needed to know if this is a big problem.

The kit hints towards the coil packs and the ICM's are known problem areas.

Has anyone done this conversation? and is it a big enough problem that the conversation should be high priority.

Here's the ECS link:

Audi C5 A6 Quattro 2.7T ECS News Audi C5 A6 2.7T ECS 2.0T Coil Pack Conversion Kit - 002686ECSKT2 - 2.0T Coil Pack Conversion Kit - Anodized Black Plates With Black Coil Packs - ES#2730647

ADVICE is always Appreciated. .. Thank you

Last edited by Juschiln19; 01-10-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Coil packs are known to fail on almost all cars, and they do fail on Audi's fairly often - but you pop in a new coil pack and you're good to go. If you have the later style coil packs that look like what is shown in that kit - then they fail more often, in my experience, than the earlier coil packs.

My mom has a 2001 A6 with the early style, bolt-down coil packs and I think she just had one fail about a year ago and it was the first time it ever happened to her.

I have a 2004 A6 and I have the newer coil packs and in the past 5 years I've changed maybe 4-5 of them out. They just fail randomly and you get misfires.

So in my experience, the older coil packs failed once in about 13 years and cost about $90 for a new coil pack.

The newer coil packs failed about 5 times in 5+ years and cost about $25/coil pack.

I don't think it is that big a problem that I would upgrade anything...especially not for $400-500.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Agreed. $90 vs $25 you have to question reliability.

Originally Posted by jseklund
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Coil packs are known to fail on almost all cars, and they do fail on Audi's fairly often - but you pop in a new coil pack and you're good to go. If you have the later style coil packs that look like what is shown in that kit - then they fail more often, in my experience, than the earlier coil packs.

My mom has a 2001 A6 with the early style, bolt-down coil packs and I think she just had one fail about a year ago and it was the first time it ever happened to her.

I have a 2004 A6 and I have the newer coil packs and in the past 5 years I've changed maybe 4-5 of them out. They just fail randomly and you get misfires.

So in my experience, the older coil packs failed once in about 13 years and cost about $90 for a new coil pack.

The newer coil packs failed about 5 times in 5+ years and cost about $25/coil pack.

I don't think it is that big a problem that I would upgrade anything...especially not for $400-500.
I wouldn't upgrade the two-bolt coil packs to the push pull type unless it could be demonstrated that the push-pull packs are 10X more reliable/durable than the two-bolt kind. One point is the two-bolt design appears to have better heat conduction both to and from the coil pack, I don't know whether the electrical heating and dump to the cam cover or the engine heating is more significant. Anecdotal evidence suggests the two-bolt coils fail less often (one on the 2K4.2A6Q in 14 years and 188K miles) than a push-pull from what I read. OTOH there are those cute red head coils that you can install with the upgrade kits plus no doubt the push-pulls are much easier to replace.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juschiln19
The kit hints towards the coil packs and the ICM's are known problem areas.
ADVICE is always Appreciated. .. Thank you
Hi Juschlin

I recently did the conversion and I can tell you the car runs and idles like it has never done before. I've had some lingering idling issues for a long time, but I could never nail down the culprit. New coils, ICMs plugs etc and it would still idle rough from time to time. Now it is as smooth as butter with the same plugs I had in there.

I went the solder route vs. the kit, but that's because I'm a cheapo ;-) and knew my way around a soldering iron and electronics etc.

If you don't have an immediate issue I would not do it for the sake of doing it, but if one of the components die I would strongly suggest the mod vs. replacing expensive coils or ICMs.

My 2c

Cheers
Massboykie