A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7t Auto Trans Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7t Auto Trans Issues

So this morning when i was going to work, I started my car got in and put it in drive, it went just fine. I got to a stop sign after about a 1/4 mile and when i tried to go it just revved up. It finally started to go but it was like it was in 5th gear to start with, it had poor acceleration and no the check engine light was on. It would not let me manually shift it either. I shut it off and tried to go and it just revved up and then repeated to do like before (like a safe mode or something). After work when i started the car the engine light was on and it just revved and revved and I finally got it to manually shift into 2nd and then it went into (safe mode or whatever it is). I have no idea what is wrong, I am assuming that the trans. is shot, but I have no places around that will touch an Audi so I need to do as much self diagnosis as possible. I have the neg cable on battery disconnected to reset the computer(hoping it's electrical problem).

If anyone has any ideas on what i can do I would highly appreciate it, or even where to take it, I live in South Central Minnesota. Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by D_Trex
I have the neg cable on battery disconnected to reset the computer(hoping it's electrical problem).
Fail.
Why does everyone think this is a good way to reset codes?

Get someone to pull the codes and check the fluid level. How many miles on the car? When was the last time the trans fluid was changed and the diff oil levels checked?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have been seing some post that say change transf fluid, how often does it need to be changed?

because i have heard alot of storys that when that is done people start having problems with the trans
Old 01-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by PapatoeSC
i have been seing some post that say change transf fluid, how often does it need to be changed?

because i have heard alot of storys that when that is done people start having problems with the trans
I do ours at 75k. IMHO, people who start having problems post fluid change either didn't get the level right or flushed the unit instead of just changing fluid and filter.

I've changed ours twice.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

quick question, Pull the ebrake up and put the car in reverse then run to the rear. Are the reverse lights coming on??
Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will check the reverse in the a.m., I know reverse works because I drove in reverse to get it into the driveway. Reseting things did not help. There is 111000 miles on the car, I bought it 11months ago and I have put 10k miles on it, I asked the local transmission shop about doing a trans flush, but they said if Audi recommends not doing it then I should not. So I have not flushed or changed any fluids besides the oil (0w30)
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

well check the reverse lights and let me know. Are your ABS/Brake lights on the dash lit up as well? What about the airbag light?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok, I went out and put the e-break on and put the car into Reverse. I could feel the car want to back up and also the reverse lights were on. The check engine light is on and also the ABS light, but the ABS is most likely unrelated. The ABS light has been on for 2 months now, I have just not gotten it fixed yet. No air bag light. Although about a month ago while i was driving the air bag light came on for a couple of min. then i restarted the car and it was off. only happened once and it was about a month ago.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by famous600
quick question, Pull the ebrake up and put the car in reverse then run to the rear. Are the reverse lights coming on??
Me? I think you meant to post this to the OP, no?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hmm I was hoping the reverse lights wouldnt come on because then it would have just been a fuse. I would still break out the owners manual and take a look at the fuse's that have anything to do with the tranny.

Quick Reply: 2.7t Auto Trans Issues