A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7t timing belt installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7t timing belt installation

I am doing my first timing belt on a 2.7t and have question about the installation of the belt.

I have read some about people lining up the teeth on the belt to make sure the timing is correct. How do you make sure that there is the correct number of teeth between the crank sprocket to the driver's side cam sprocket and so on? Do you just make sure there is no slack between the sprockets except where the tensioner is?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberlaz
I am doing my first timing belt on a 2.7t and have question about the installation of the belt.

I have read some about people lining up the teeth on the belt to make sure the timing is correct. How do you make sure that there is the correct number of teeth between the crank sprocket to the driver's side cam sprocket and so on? Do you just make sure there is no slack between the sprockets except where the tensioner is?

Thanks!
Do yourself a favor and order the installation tools kit. The tool rental is cheap and all you need is included. I did mine in about 4 hours and it went smooth. There are a few links to very good instructions and great pics. Mine is a 2.7T.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, get the cam lock and crank lock tools, they make things much easier.

An example of where to buy them;

http://www.zdmaktools.com/wbstore/ma...CTMP=1&LowCt=0

You'll also want a stubby phillips screwdriver to pin back the accessory belt tensioner and a small strong wire like clothes hanger wire to pin the timing belt tensioner closed. I believe zdmak sells those as well.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the timing belt kit and the tool kit from Blauparts. So I am good there.

I read some other posts on the site and figured out the answer to my question. What wasn't making sense to me is how the slack gets out of the belt. But, I realized after when you pull the cam sprockets they spin freely and when you put tension back on the belt the slack comes right out because the sprockets spin freely without turning the cams. Then you torque down the washers and timing is set.

That is where I am now with the timing belt change. I got the sprockets pulled, put the new belt on, pre-loaded the tensioner and torqued down the cam washers. Crank is at TDC and the large holes in the washers are in the center in a nice straight, level line with the small holes.

So, I think am good to go. Just gotta put everything back together tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam sprockets?

Originally Posted by cyberlaz
I got the timing belt kit and the tool kit from Blauparts. So I am good there.

I read some other posts on the site and figured out the answer to my question. What wasn't making sense to me is how the slack gets out of the belt. But, I realized after when you pull the cam sprockets they spin freely and when you put tension back on the belt the slack comes right out because the sprockets spin freely without turning the cams. Then you torque down the washers and timing is set.

That is where I am now with the timing belt change. I got the sprockets pulled, put the new belt on, pre-loaded the tensioner and torqued down the cam washers. Crank is at TDC and the large holes in the washers are in the center in a nice straight, level line with the small holes.

So, I think am good to go. Just gotta put everything back together tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.
When I did mine, I didn't pull the sprockets...that"s what the locking bar is for. Keeps things lined up. When I put on the new belt with the tensioner still pinned back, I had to remove the bar just enough to get the belt on over the teeth on one sprocket. I read that ANY misalignment will cause "astoundingly expensive" damage. Hope all goes well, but to be safe, I'd roll over the engine by hand a few times just to make sure you don't have any interference.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did the Blauparts Enhanced Timing Belt Kit and Tools back in early April. It was a daunting job but got everything done including all new cam seals. Yanking out all my camshafts was something that I was not looking forward to. I now have about 7,500 miles on it and so far so good.

BTW I could not get the crankshaft looking pin in without removing the pressure pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. I spent about an hour trying to get it back on and the clamp tightened.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't forget that the chains hold the cams pretty steady and the cam lock tool actually fits to the cam end not the sprocket so you can keep the tool on without the sprockets.

AR15, I'm not sure if anyone has managed to get that crank pin in without removing that pipe. I helped a buddy on his s4 and getting that pin in the block was a huge PITA.