A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7t wheel offset requirement question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7t wheel offset requirement question

Hey ya'll! Have a question along the same lines, hoping you could help.

Got me a 2000 A6 2.7t. Friggen love the thing. Slapped some Winterforce 215/60/16s (yes I know its the wrong ratio)on the stock rims for the exact reasons mentioned above; obsessive snowboarder, rough roads, occasionally drive through corn fields, love the floaty comfort, muddy farm roads during deer season, etc. The traction is scary. Its actually kind of weird how much pleasure I derive from driving in inclement weather.

I'm pretty new to Audi. My car is equipped with rather large front rotors and calipers (painted red). I assumed they were the stock brakes on an S6. Are they the 321mm ones mentioned above? Are they from an S6 (I only mention the S6 because I saw a C5 one the other day and it had red calipers)? were they stock? An Option? or did they just come on all 2.7ts because of their excessive awesomeness?

My main question though is that I need to get some summer rims and I can't figure out which offset I need to fit over the larger front calipers. I understand what offset is. I do not know what offset my car requires. I gather than many of the Audi OEM 16 and 17" wheels will not work with my front brakes. Is this correct? Will a 38ET rim work on my car?

Would an 18" OZ superleggera that fits a 2001 S4 fit my car?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i'm guessing your calipers have the old paint job mod, but they are more than likely the stock hp2 calipers which was standard on your year 2.7t. and with those calipers you will have 321mm rotors.
regarding offset, what will fit your setup will vary on wheel width as well. i believe your stock wheels will have the offset cast somewhere on the inside of the wheel. i believe on the stock 16" wheel, which was 7" wide, the offset is et38 if i recall what my wheels say (i have same car as you), i have the six spoke versions. when i bought a set of 18" x 8" RS6 replica wheels, i, at the time unknowingly bought rims with the wrong offset, et35 i believe they are. when i installed new rotors and pads, i required 20mm spacers to clear the calipers, which would equate to a et15 offset, still three years later my brake pads have not worn down enough to allow me to run the 15mm spacers i was originally using with the new wheels and my apparently very worn down pads....anyway, i'm running 20mm spacers in front and 15 in rear, but i'm thinking i'll sell my two sets of 15mm spacers and the 20mm spacers and run the 17.5mm spacers that ECS tuning offers. it's a pain having two different bolt lengths.
anyway, you can calculate what offset is required going by what you're currently running and seeing what wheel width you'd like to run, but beware, just because in theory a wheel has the "correct" offset, it still may not fit as the interior profile of the wheel still may not clear the bulky hp2 calipers. so if you are looking at a particular wheel, unless the seller can confirm it fits on your car, ask around on here to see if anyone else is running that wheel and in what offset works. good luck!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks,

Ok so does anyone have 18" OZ supers on their a6 with the 321's? These wheels are currently on a 2001 S4. I don't know how else to find out they would fit without me spending $180 on spacers. (Wheels are to far away to drive to and try on. )
Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well...

Tire Rack seems to think that 18" x 8" @ ET35 will fit without any spacers... According to their configurator, I should be able to run O.Z. Superturismos in those measurements without incident. Are they flat-out wrong?

Then again, backspacing and the shape of the spokes also plays important roles in determining fitment. So, while the RS6 reps didn't fit, perhaps these Superturismos will.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

to figure out what caliper you have, post a picture, or compare to the repair manual. Red sounds like brembos, but i doubt it. I would guess you either have Lucas HP-2s (better) or ate (good). The size of the rotor is stamped on its hub face - look carefully. The Brembos can be identified by the word brembo, but more properly because they are NOT a floating design. They are 2 or 3 piston per side single piece cast calipers. HP2s can be identified by a complex spring mechanism on the top face that allows for quick pad access without removing the caliper. ates will say, well, ate.

With any of the large calipers, 35mm offset is preferred. remember that lower offset numbers give you better clearance, but distort your steering geometry - so minimize the change from stock.

incidentally 215/60 is, IMNSHO, a good size for winter/m,ud/snow and protecting the rims from damage

G
Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

35mm offset pushed your replacement wheels further out than 38. That was nto the problem ( who can tell 3 mm anyway?). What you likely encountered was a different design of the interior of the spokes. That's why there is no hard and fast rule of "size y fits car a" although it is usually a good starting point.

Oh, spacers are evil. I've seen them literally shear off on the track with ugly consequences.

Evil.

G
Old 05-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know these pictures are not great but maybe someone will recognize the calipers. Thanks for all the help

Name:  2099.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  2100.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  49.5 KB
Old 05-09-2010, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Stock HP2's
Old 05-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joshe8695@yahoo.com
Stock HP2's
Thank you!!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its amazing how much the hp2 calipers move out with new pads and rotors. Also have a 2000 and am running BBS RX's 18x8.5 with 32mm offset and with new pad and rotors I had to put on 5mm spacers up front to clear them which has pushed the wheel right up the edge of the fender or equivalent to a 27mm offset. Cant wait till they wear down enough to take the spacers off but with my 2 mile daily commute it may be a while.

Quick Reply: 2.7t wheel offset requirement question