A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found some service manual info for your car
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
audia8rightcamshaft.pdf (1.80 MB, 253 views)
Old 12-09-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

One more, for the valve cover
Attached Files
Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

for a few bucks you could have a good runnıng car if you do the work yourself.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by indoor
Hey guys,

so I finally received the new tensioner tool, now just to be clear, per our previous discussion in regards to putting the exhaust at TDC, I have to crank the car manually from the crankshaft WITHOUT putting the tensioner and the intake cam back in, correct?!
Once I crank the exhaust and it is at TDC, the next step would be to install the tensioner put back the intake and according to my markings on the chain wrap everything up, right?.... please confirm.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by indoor
Ha! Might want to skip the 1st step under Removing:
Removing
– Remove engine

Also I don't follow why Bentley states:
Rotate crankshaft at mounting bolt for toothed
belt sprocket counterclockwise approximately
45° so that no pistons stand at TDC.

Moe, I believe you got it right. Rotating crankshaft CW using crank bolt to get @TDC. Prior threads indicated this is cyl #5, although manual portion .pdf didn't specify. So this should be TDC compression stroke for the proper (#5 ?) cylinder, not by trying to align exhaust cam notch. If your TB didn't jump a tooth, then the exhaust cam notch will align correctly anyway, but if TB jumped a tooth then you'll see that exhaust cam notch is not aligned. Hopefully it aligns, otherwise you might need to change plans. Will have to guide cam chain while turning crank, so chain doesn't bind up if it's still installed on exhaust cam.
So getting to TDC & checking exhaust cam notch alignment is key 1st step.

Last edited by CRuby; 12-10-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRuby
Ha! Might want to skip the 1st step under Removing:
Removing
– Remove engine

Also I don't follow why Bentley states:
Rotate crankshaft at mounting bolt for toothed
belt sprocket counterclockwise approximately
45° so that no pistons stand at TDC.

Moe, I believe you got it right. Rotating crankshaft CW using crank bolt to get @TDC. Prior threads indicated this is cyl #5, although manual portion .pdf didn't specify. So this should be TDC compression stroke for the proper (#5 ?) cylinder, not by trying to align exhaust cam notch. If your TB didn't jump a tooth, then the exhaust cam notch will align correctly anyway, but if TB jumped a tooth then you'll see that exhaust cam notch is not aligned. Hopefully it aligns, otherwise you might need to change plans. Will have to guide cam chain while turning crank, so chain doesn't bind up if it's still installed on exhaust cam.
So getting to TDC & checking exhaust cam notch alignment is key 1st step.
Ok so here's a dumb question, which one is cylinder 5? could you give me some indication based on the pic I've send previously? and in what position should it be at TDC? what is the indication that it is at TDC if I am not relying on the exhaust cam notch?
do I also need to take the spark plugs out before rotating? would the engine rotate with the plugs in?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

4.2 Cylinder locations.
4.2 Audi Firing Order | Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

Setting TDC
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...bv=2&oq=&gs_l=
Old 12-10-2014, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default camshaft bar determines camshaft notch!

Originally Posted by Moe1354
Ok so here's a dumb question, which one is cylinder 5? could you give me some indication based on the pic I've send previously? and in what position should it be at TDC? what is the indication that it is at TDC if I am not relying on the exhaust cam notch?
do I also need to take the spark plugs out before rotating? would the engine rotate with the plugs in?
If the camshaft bar is installed the exhaust cam notch must line up with the camshaft bearing cap arrow.

The reason you back off the crank is so no piston is at TDC…with the exhaust cam locked by the cam bar no danger, but when you pop the exhaust cam sprocket and remove the exhaust cam sprocket and wing thingy from the cam (as shown in the video) the exhaust cam can rotate slightly coming off an exhaust cam open lobe and thus partially opening a different cylinder's exhaust cam with that cylinder's piston at TDC. There is so little piston/valve clearance that a valve could hit the piston and bend. Yes, you're working on passenger bank yet TDC is set with #5 (on V8s anyway) on the other bank on compression TDC, but that's just arbitrary on Audi's part. They could just as easily have set it up to have #1 cylinder at TDC compression to start the timing/firing cycle.

To confuse you even further, it all boils down to cylinder numbering; Audi chooses to number 1-4 on the left side front to back and right side 5-8 front to back. My experience with CSB engines has cylinders numbers alternately from the right (driver side in NA) front to back 2-1, 4-3, 6-5, and 8-7; so you can see that #1 on a CSB and #5 on the Audi V8 are the same cylinder. The cylinders are even offset the same way with #1 CSB and #5 Audi V8 being offset to the front of the car. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 is classic CSB firing order…I think you'll find that Audi firing order starting with 5 goes the same was if you renumber the Audi cylinders in the CSB fashion.
The exercise is left to the student.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another useful pdf on firing order, plugs torque, etc...
Attached Files
AudiA8IgnitionSystemTD.pdf (10.7 KB, 156 views)
Old 12-11-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
To confuse you even further, it all boils down to cylinder numbering; Audi chooses to number 1-4 on the left side front to back and right side 5-8 front to back.
Don't want to confuse too much, but...
Correction: 1-4 is on vehicle right side, & 5-8 on vehicle left

Quick Reply: 2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement