A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, the document for the fuel pump location is in a wiring diagram pdf too big to attach on audiworld...and I don't know how to make pdf's smaller...But it says it's position 4 from left to right on Micro Central Electric Panel and it shows a picture of this panel...it doesnt say where this panel is though...
Old 02-10-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found another document...hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FuelPumpRelayActivation.pdf (535.7 KB, 127 views)
Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by indoor
I found another document...hope this helps

Thanks Indoor, so it says it's in the passenger side, under the dash, funny I didn't see it last time, I'll double check tonight, and will keep you posted
Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moe1355
If it is the pomp, once I get the pomp out, in order to see if it works can I simply connect it to the car battery to see if it works? Or is the car battery too strong and it will burn it?
Don't need to take pump out to check it.Just remove seat (if same location as the A6 pump), remove protective cover, disconnect connector, & put 12V across the pump circuit. Do not remove the pump, so no fuel vapors floating around. Checked mine by running ground circuit to a vehicle ground, & running a wire from battery + to the pump area. Touch the wire to the pump + circuit & if pump is good, you'll hear it run. If it doesn't run, bad pump.

Caution if/when removing the pump. For the A6, I had to be ~ < 1/4 tank. Otherwise when pump cover-seal removed, lots of gas leakage.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRuby
Don't need to take pump out to check it.Just remove seat (if same location as the A6 pump), remove protective cover, disconnect connector, & put 12V across the pump circuit. Do not remove the pump, so no fuel vapors floating around. Checked mine by running ground circuit to a vehicle ground, & running a wire from battery + to the pump area. Touch the wire to the pump + circuit & if pump is good, you'll hear it run. If it doesn't run, bad pump.

Caution if/when removing the pump. For the A6, I had to be ~ < 1/4 tank. Otherwise when pump cover-seal removed, lots of gas leakage.
I checked my spare pump which was already disconnected with the car battery and it is dead, so no luck having a spare ... Now in regards to the existing pump I have not disassembled yet, I like to check it with the car battery as you mentioned, but the connector had 4 wires, which is which?
I noticed on the spare pump I have, there are 2 wires brown(-) and green(+) should I be looking for the same colors on the connector?
What happens if I charge the wrong wires? Will it damage the pump?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

To get access to fuel pump, if the procedure is the same as A6, remove rear bench(bottom of rear seat), by lifting the front edge upwards then towards the front of car. Before that, Bentley says to disconnect battery because you'll have to unplug a side airbag connector(if equipped) so as to not deploy There is also a connector for heated seats.

There are two round plastic covers. On A6 fuel pump is on passenger side. The other cover is for a fuel level sensor. The pump has a fuel level sensor next to it too.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To get access to fuel pump, if the procedure is the same as A6, remove rear bench(bottom of rear seat), by lifting the front edge upwards then towards the front of car. Before that, Bentley says to disconnect battery because you'll have to unplug a side airbag connector(if equipped) so as to not deploy There is also a connector for heated seats.

There are two round plastic covers. On A6 fuel pump is on passenger side. The other cover is for a fuel level sensor. The pump has a fuel level sensor next to it too.
The pump on the A8 is in the trunk passenger side. Did you have 4 wires as well and if so how did u determine which wire is which on the connector in order to test the pump without disassembling it?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I never had problems with the pump, I have no idea. I would search on Google or you tube. They might have basic pump testing. I know they have tutorials for removing the pump(which I wouldn't do unless I'm 110% sure it's the pump).
Old 02-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I never had problems with the pump, I have no idea. I would search on Google or you tube. They might have basic pump testing. I know they have tutorials for removing the pump(which I wouldn't do unless I'm 110% sure it's the pump).
ya I saw that on youtube, there is actually a video for a 2000 A8 which is quiet good, but I wanna test the pump first before having to do that.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys I got a real problem here! The good news is the fuel pump is working when I charge it manually with the battery, gas pumps up to the fuel line but when o connect the connector back in and turn the key it does not respond. I think the issue is from the connector itself. So so far the fuel pump is functional, the fuel fuse is OK as well, but I cannot find the fuel relay!!!
Anybody know where the relay is located? Or what else could be the issue?

Quick Reply: 2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement