A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be more specific on the type of engine it is 2000 A8.2L AKB
Old 11-12-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe1354
yes it is a a8 4.2L. I thought as well it is the same procedure for A6 4.2 and A8 4.2L?
5Nm+90*?
How do you convert that to ft per pound? what would be the ft/pound conversion?
Please advise ...
you can google for ft-lb to NM and vice versa conversion.
Convert newton meters to foot pounds - Conversion of Measurement Units
5NM is 3.7ft lbs or better use an inch-pound wrench…44 in-#

Using a 0-150 foot-pound torque wrench on a 4 ft-lb bolt is just asking for trouble.

You might also want to change the thread title…it comes up 2.8 cam tensioner and chain replacement.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Scroll down in this thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...blems-2872072/
to see how and what to look for when it comes to marking the chain...look at Cruby's posts
Old 11-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, thank you for the link, I ref. to Cruby’s very thorough and detailed post before.

What is confusing in my case in not having the arrow and the notch line up on the exhaust cam!!! It does line up on the intake cam but not on the exhaust. Can I go forward with the job by basically just marking the chain and the sprockets? Bare in mind that the timing belt and the bearing cams or still intact, in any case I will not be touching the timing belt, so I don’t think I have mess anything up yet 

I know there have been some work done on the tensioner before, so I’m guessing the mechanic who did the work did not line them up while working on the tensioner. What do you think?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes, thank you for the link, I ref. to Cruby’s very thorough and detailed post before.

What is confusing in my case in not having the arrow and the notch line up on the exhaust cam!!! It does line up on the intake cam but not on the exhaust. Can I go forward with the job by basically just marking the chain and the sprockets? Bare in mind that the timing belt and the bearing cams or still intact, in any case I will not be touching the timing belt, so I don’t think I have mess anything up yet 

I know there have been some work done on the tensioner before, so I’m guessing the mechanic who did the work did not line them up while working on the tensioner. What do you think?
Hard to tell without photos…my bentley ebahn (new beta online version) has different timing specs for bank 1 and bank 2 cam timing chains, plus different specs for used vs new cam chain.
Also, one pic in the bentley (could be wrong for all I know) shows the exhaust cam timing mark slightly offset from the sprocket valley that counts as roller 15 or 16.
Helps to get the bentley book so you can see the diagram.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that my (CRuby) posts & pics are for a 2.7 & I haven't worked on a 4.2 to know if the cam/crank timing is set up any different. I suspect it's just 2 more cylinders (V6 vs V8). I didn't go thru all the upstream posts, so maybe I'm repeating what's already been said.

Sounds to me that you might be needing to touch the timing belt if you're at TDC & exhaust cams not lining up notches with the arrows (^).
But 1st, to keep from having a nervous breakdown, like I did, check the tensioner part numbers & make sure they are on the proper side. If some fool switched them (L-R vs R-L) then that will create more problems for you.

1st step is putting engine @ TDC. Align timing mark on crank pulley & install crank lock pin to be even more certain. If you don't get this right then cam timing can't be checked. Now if timing belt is installed correctly, then both bank 1 & 2 exhaust cams should align notches with bearing cap notches. If either doesn't line up, then I suspect TB jumped a tooth, or was not right from the last time it was touched. If exhaust lines up OK, but intake marks do not, then tensioner or chain roller count is bad.
Keep in mind the timing belt times the crank to both exhaust cam pulleys, & the cam chains & tensioners time the intake cams to the exhaust cams.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

When you set TDC, what's important is the notch on exhaust cam(or the timing belt cam).

Try to see if the lines on crank shaft match.http://img.happywrenching.com/audi/a...aft-timing.jpg
If they do, remove intake cam shaft and upon reinstalation make sure the notch on intake cam lines up with arrow.

How far off are the different cam notches anyhow? Because of the tensioner issue, the notches don't line up, as in the chain jumped off the intake cam sprocket and skipped a tooth or so...not necessarily last tech installation...

Last edited by indoor; 11-17-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not attempt to do a TDC yet, but when I opened the valve cover I noticed on the exhaust side the notch already lines up with the arrow, the # of chain links are ok as well, now the question is: does the notch on the intake cam needs to be lined up as well before taking the cam cover off or can I go ahead and proceed with the tensioner replacement with marking the chain and the sprockets as is.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Technically if the notch on exhaust cam lines up with arrow on end cam cap you have TDC. To make sure tough you would have to check the crank shaft line and arrow to line up(pic in previous post for reference). And put the crank lock pin in(that would the the safest surest way, with the crank lock pin, and you can find them on ebay cheap.)

If I were you, I'd buy a Bentley cd repair manual specific to your vehicle. You can go on the specs I provided if you want, but this is a 4.2 engine code ART.

Mark the chain as is and the sprokets for reference. If engine is at TDC remove intake cam caps. There is a sequence required provided in videos posted and pics. I'll try post some pics from instructions. I would at least read Blauparts instructions if you can't afford Bentley cd(though you would save lots of money by doing the labour yourself).
Attached Images  

Last edited by indoor; 11-17-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Doing this off my IPad so I don't know how to attach multiple pics. You don't have to touch the exhaust cam, obviously...
Attached Images  

Last edited by indoor; 11-17-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.8 cam chain and tensioner replacement